Wielding Jehovah's Cyclocross Battleaxe

MTBNJ done gone and got all deep and shit. It seems like this could be one of those situations where people argue over a point despite the fact that they both agree with each other's point. (So is that even really arguing? More like two independent expositions that aren't really countering one another. :hmmm:) I think we all ride for reasons that we value at a pretty high premium whatever they may be. Some ride for the fitness, some for the zen and focus, some for the competition, some for the sense of community, and some ride for a combination of any or all of those things and more. And in that way, it's no different than any other activity. And I think it's pretty cool that people can discuss their own reasons and maybe gain a better understanding of reasons that may seem foreign to them. If a few folks go nuts for cross season, that's great! I don't do cross because I look forward to the fall season as my "fun ride" time all year. I find some of the numbers discussions very interesting, even if I know I would never use those metrics (not that I don't have my own -- the numbers I care about are just of a different type.) While I don't share someone like Sparta's enthusiasm for that particular discipline, I totally get it -- I get the same way when it comes to the kind of races I like to do. It doesn't matter that we go in for different disciplines, I would cheer on the effort out of that appreciation. And I think that's the thing that most of those seemingly superficial FB comments or Strava kudos are really all about -- we are recognizing that this person we are "friends" with for whatever reason has an enthusiasm for whatever it is they are doing and we want to feed that enthusiasm rather than tear it down. So even if it's a comment like "You'll get 'em next time!" after a shitty performance, it's simply a way to let that person know that you understand that this shit is important to them and you appreciate that. If you really think about it, this is one of the positives of the social media age, right? There are enough problems and of course there's tons of pointless shit on any social media, but isn't it a good thing when people show support for one another, even if they haven't really ever actually met one another?

Another great post Luke. I did the massive "friend" cleanup and killed push notifications from FB a few months ago. That made life better, I found myself checking my feed once every couple of days. You inspired me to take the next step and I killed my account this morning. I'm bailing on my fantasy leagues this year too- the only reason I was hanging on to FB was for the groups feature, which the leagues used for trash talking.

I love how Norm's threads always get these side discussions going.

whoa
you don't need to axe the whole thing, but congrats. My account is still active because people often find/contact me through it with the messenger.

Yeah, I talked about this last night with someone how much of an ass I am for my morning and night posts.
Now I'm curious what underground shit talking sms brigade sent you that post, since you don't twitter.
I would appreciate it more if whoever found that and found it as asinine as it is would have brought it to my attention directly. It's more effective and less 4th grade that way.

90% was a bit bold. I'll go with 50%
It's a vast improvement nevertheless.

Oh that was me...what you didnt want people to see you bashing cross on twitter? Who cares? If you are embarrassed about posting shit on twitter...dont post it :) I mean I race cross and i love it but I dont expect people who dont do it to understand why I like it. Dont we both love drag racing? To the casual observer it can look totally ridiculous..Not unlike cross. My first reaction to it was "god that looks dumb", but I tried it and found out why people like it. Look how far have we both driven, spent tons of money, countless hours.....just to drive down a flat, 1/4mi long, straight section of pavement for 10-15 seconds. But that moment of zen, or the time with our friends hanging out made it totally worth it.

You have been less negative lately and you are getting better. I think 50% is a more realistic number. I think you will get better when you try something first before bashing it. Like I feel much better now about making fun of the things I feel are silly about cross, because I have done them or continue to do them.

Ok, 1speed apparently stands for one paragraph as my brain surely would have exploded similar to the grammar, comma and spelling nazis do with my posts.

I never really read Luke's threads that he had and mainly just looked at pictures, but he makes some really good points and I appeal to him more because he is like the Mtbnj anti-hero.

As far as facebook...I dont know...does everything need to be 100% awesome all the time? It has its annoying parts, I can live with them. I certainly have people in my feed that do things i dont care about or annoy me...But it also has its good points. This past tuesday was pretty cool....Over the weekend I had dug out my fathers old 8mm films that he took in 1969 and had them converted to digital format. In one of these reels was one in which he went to englishtown with a friend and filmed his car all day. I recognized the name on the side of the guys car and figured I would look and see if he was on FB....Sure enough, I found him. He's 73 and on fb...probably so that he can see his grand kids etc..But I sent him a pm and told him who I was, who my father was and that I had a video of him and his race car from 45 years ago...He dam near shit as it was the only movie he had ever seen of the car....To me that made up for alot idiotic fb stuff I see.

Ok, 1speed apparently stands for one paragraph as my brain surely would have exploded similar to the grammar, comma and spelling nazis do with my posts.

I don't understand what this post is saying.

Sorry to break the party but... Utah, look what I found at Kings... Parmesan pancakes! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408041467.909785.jpg

Ya but are they using genuine kraft cheese with polyethylene texture and preservatives? Or something off the shelf and cheap? Kraft is robust, yet subtle.

Norm do you just have the audio of UT cooking this up? I thought you had video too

friggin love cheese.

I went for a run not too long ago. I rode the motorcycle to Homdel Park and ran the High School 5k course, which includes the bowl. It hurt a lot, and I didnt run the entire thing, but when I was done and got my dry heaves under control, I felt good. Gonna do it tomorrow, too.

A while back I mentioned doing different activities to keep things from getting dull. Bikes, running and shooting hoops have been my go to lately. Different strokes.....

Wow, well that went and gone wild. I like it. So much good & interesting stuff in there. I really enjoy reading it. Life is more than bikes.

Having said that I cannot possibly go and respond and/or comment on all of that. This week is busy. Last weekend was busy. And next week will also be busy. Maybe I'll go back one day and reread it all. But until then, I'll pick 3 quotes I do want to reply to:

Once I took up riding, I did not think running was fun anymore. Anyone else have that problem?

This did not happen to me, but for me it was hiking. Hiking got boring once I started to mountain bike. It really pretty much ended my hiking hobby. Also, a few of us used to golf way back when. The road bike killed that for me. I would never choose to spend 4+ free hours golfing when I could be riding.

I love how Norm's threads always get these side discussions going.

Agreed, I like that sometimes these cans of worms get opened and we can talk more about what tire Norm flatted at practice or what RD he ripped off at the next practice. It's good to remind us all why we do what we do, and that sometimes people think about things more than just "so what's on network tv tonight?"

Norm do you just have the audio of UT cooking this up? I thought you had video too

Not that I remember. I do, however, still have that video of Julia taking you to school on the hula hoop.

Otto's Farm, Take 1

Did 1 heat, then got a flat on heat 2.

Otto's Farm, Take 2

That would be tonight, ripped off my RD. This sport sucks. At least it's at practice and not at Nittany where these things typically happen.

Mountain Biking Update

As of right now I'm at 41 MTB rides since I posted that thread last year. I don't think I'm going to hit 78 but I'm doing better than last year where I rode the MTB 4 times. The long winter did not help, as the first 3 months of the year saw me ride the MTB exactly 4 times. Since then I've been much better. Last week I rode CR, Jungle for the first time this year, and Six Mile again. Been getting in 2-3 rides a week.

The B Ride

Last night we averaged 20.4 on the B ride.

Last night the A ride averaged 19.4.

Just sayin'...

Oh Canada

Off to the Great White North on Friday, staying through next weekend. Then my summer is over. Bringing the new bike up. Oh wait, it's been a while.

The New Bike

Magic Bike is dead. The top tube cracked and the whole thing turned into a ticking time bomb. Jay got me a replacement frame in like 3 days and now I have a wonderful new bike.

I need a name for the new bike. Strava lets you pick your bike and I will be retiring Magic Bike with something like 25k miles on it. As a side note, the original Ted did not even have 1000. New Ted is already pushing 100.

10616151_10204048172380589_5822415949544611753_n.jpg

That would be tonight, ripped off my RD. This sport sucks. At least it's at practice and not at Nittany where these things typically happen.

The B Ride

Last night we averaged 20.4 on the B ride.

Last night the A ride averaged 19.4.

Just sayin'...

The New Bike

10616151_10204048172380589_5822415949544611753_n.jpg

Sounds like the B ride is progressing nicely!

I just set a reminder to take the RD off of the Evo and bring an extra hanger to Nittany so thanks :D

The new bike looks great too! I am a big fan of the SMP Evolution, though it took about a month of tweaking for it to disappear under me.

I tried replying earlier but got bumped off site. Doh!

Better to get all mechanicals out of the way now rather than during a race. It was awesome to see you and D last night at Otto. I'm not satisfied that this was "our ride" but it will have to do for now. Where did summer go?!

Good luck with the Evo! I love mine. Not the saddle though. I must have an odd-shaped bum as I think I'm the only one that hates it. At shop now trying another saddle.

Back
Top Bottom