Wielding Jehovah's Cyclocross Battleaxe

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Webster defines The Battleaxe as follows: The thing you wield the first weekend of September in Trexlertown then put away sometime around Thanksgiving. Or so. The battleaxe is not to be abused foolishly. It is to be handled with precision, and brute force, when necessary. But never is it to be abused, brought out when the season does not warrant it.

In other words, who the F does Microbursts in February? For real, come on man. Stop that nonsense.

But it's almost the season. The battleaxe is being brought out. After a year of trying to erase the mulligan that was 2013, it is almost time to pull the battleaxe out of the shed, strengthen it, sharpen it. Almost time to practice hitting things with it. Almost time to congregate in a field and beat each other with our axes.

Almost, but not quite yet. Soon. Like August 25th "the plan" begins.

Call this the Prelude to Battleaxe season. For the next month I'll be taking the battleaxe on little excursions here & there. But for the most part I'll be riding my bike hard, doing some mountain bike riding, enjoying stuff as much as I can, and doing some hard efforts in an attempt to figure out how to sharpen once it's time to start sharpening.

I was originally going to name this something along the lines of Bard & Jehovah's Cyclocross Battleaxe but decided against it. Someone pointed out that The Bard is like this Jehovah's Witness of Cyclocross, always there at the train station jamming it in your face when all you want to do is grab your coffee and go to work. And then you really just want to say, "Stick it up your ass, churchie" but you hold your tongue because it's kind of rude. I digress.

So I took like 4 days off a while ago then I rode for 7 days, then I took today off. The last week went like this:

Monday I rode with D for the first time after taking 4 days off. I felt great. Tuesday I led the B ride where we popped Carson & Glenn before we even knew it. I felt kinda like crap but it was hot. Wednesday was the Pharma Flyers ride, which is another crew out in North Branch. Almost 3 hours with the ride there, felt ok but not amazing. That was the prelude to vacation.

Then we went to New England for a long weekend with no real plans in mind.

Thursday we drove to Vermont and rode up the Connecticut River, then back down the other side. We went through Dartmouth on the way back. At the end, I was tired, a little nervous about the coming days because I had spent the previous days plowing forward on my road bike basically breaking wind for people to draft in. Legs were feeling kinda heavy.

Kingdom Trails

Friday & Saturday we ended up going to Kingdom Trails in Vermont. The first day I think we did 13 miles and the second just shy of 20. After Friday, D announced that she enjoyed it so much that she wanted to go back for another round. We ended up following most of the loop that Utah, Kirt, Iggy, & Woody had done last year. I guess that's pretty much all you really need to know. These trails are so amazing that those 4 guys went and loved them, then we went and loved them. Being able to put a trail network together that both experts and beginners can enjoy is no small feat. This place is remarkable.

But really, it boils down to this. If you've been there, you get it. If not, you probably don't. You really should just go check it out. The following day we used the map and made up our own loop, partly of the trails we did the day before and partly stuff we just wanted to check out. It was even better than the previous day, and we ended up staying out almost 3 hours.

Sunday, we drove back and hit Lippman on the way, from herein known as Lipton Park. Lipton was ok. It rained before we got there and it was loaded with roots, so it was kinda greasy in a not necessarily fun kinda way. Lipton was kinda fun in spots, like the final downhill to the lot. That was so good that D wanted to ride back up and do it again, so we did, and ended the ride with a double downhill fun run. Then we got lunch and drove home in the weekend traffic on 87.

The good thing about vacations with me is that I often lose weight when I go on them. I ate a bunch and drank some and when I got on the scale this morning I was sub-190. I should go on vacation all the time. It would keep me in tip-tip shape.

The Battleaxe

I will end each post with this section, until I get sick of doing this. This is the training part of the blog so I will keep it separate so as not to bore you with the training stuff if you want to skip it. I may write little to nothing here. But I will try to explain what it is I did every day to help the training effort.

Today I took off. I need to rest properly now. I also tried not to eat too much.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I felt that bitter taste in back of my mouth of cx as I began to read. Only to find out the best part of the read is D and you had an awesome time doing awesome riding. Nothing better then riding brand new trails. So many new trails so little time. Sorry but forget cx and find the next new trail...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The battleaxe needs less tubular failures in 2014. Both ChrisS-caused and non-ChrisS-caused ones.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
battle_axe_galactica.jpg

Pin-up girl for 2014 cx season^

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
lippman park is alot of fun in the dry..it can get a bit frustrating trying to navigate though...the map looks like a plate of dropped spaghetti.

Aly and I have been wanting to go to kingdom trails all year....we do a bike trip every year for our anniversary...well..at least for the first we did...and i want to make that a thing..

did you guys camp or hotel up there?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks Mandi, I appreciate the kind words!

I agree that the Battleaxe needs some better tubular karma in 2014. Regardless of who falls down in front of me, I need to not be flatting as much this year. I think it was 4 last year which was 5 too many. Yeah, I would say 4 too many but that's cliche so I'll do the end around and go with 5. Flats suck, as the Flatmeister Utah "Salt Flats" Joe can attest.

I have no idea where you're going with the tattoo idea, Pat. I'm not an ink guy though. Just not my thing.

Just 1 man's opinion but I think if you ride Kingdom Trails as fast as you can, you miss the point a little bit. I mentioned this to Kirt the other day and said it's like trying to eat a lobster in a minute. He then replied asking why people dip their lobster in butter. Butter is good, probably is the reason.

I really say this is a pseudo-random comment. It's not directed at anyone specifically. It just struck me while looking at KOM segments from KT. Of course I didn't get any but that's not why we were there. Maybe if we were there for a week it might make more sense. Maybe. I guess that's sort of like eating lobster every day for a week. Maybe on Wednesday we could see who can eat it the fastest?

Aaron - do it. Make it happen, make the time for it. It's absolutely worth it. We actually hotel surfed when we went up there. The first night we used the cheap hotels website (D knows the url) and found something for sub $100. The next night we found a place in Franconia, NH for like $85. Both places included free mediocre breakfast. This hit-and-run style of living was our aim, as we like to go out and eat well on these trips too, as I'm sure you noticed on Facebook. So we ride, eat a late lunch somewhere good, then figure out the hotel, then find a good late dinner after that.

The third night was a free night at the Hyatt south of Saratoga. D had that from her work trips so we had 1 night with an awesome room. In all, the 3 places were less than $200 total (maybe $180) and we got 3 continental breakfasts out of the deal. Certainly could be worse.

Having said that, if you're looking to camp, Mitch does it every year and I think he goes over by the DH trails. They ride to/from the trailhead. All depends on your budget, I suppose. This is pretty much our one "us" vacation this year. So hotels and 4+ star Yelp food it is. At least for the better part of 4 days.

We'll get our camping in this coming weekend, with the kids.

Tomorrow morning I'm going to Stephens with the SS to just ride and enjoy it. If anyone wants to come, give a shout. I'd love the company. No training stuff going on. Just bike riding.

The Battleaxe

Today I decided to go measure the Battleaxe, as seen in this ride:
http://app.strava.com/activities/172579671

The aim was to measure my CP5 and CP10 for the coming training stuff. I picked Allen road as my 5, and a stretch of WV as my 10. Both had KOM segments. The 5 is owned by Moritz, and I managed to get a PR on that one, 5th overall, just 14 seconds off the top. I've got that as 1 of my targets this year. CP5 was 422. according to Training Peaks.

Then I hit WV between 202 and Long Road. The KOM was 10:03 and I ground out a 9:36. If I hadn't done the CP5 just before it, I'm sure I could have done it even better. Managed 356 for my CP10 and that's in the shadow of my CP5 attempt.

These are just numbers I will use to train at. When the workout calls for a 10m workout, I'll aim for that 350 area, maybe a hair more. Likewise, the 5 minute sets will be done at 400+ watts. 422 was a bit of a high shot for me. This is the highest I've ever seen. So I guess the riding I've been doing this year isn't hurting me too much. Anyway, there's a baseline.

I'll need to do similar baselines for CP15, CP20, and CP1/CP2. Some people would just go do a 20 and extrapolate. But the best way to measure what you can do is to just go and do it. I need to train my CP5, then go see what your CP5 is and work it that way. Don't go do a CP20, figure out your CP60, then back it into a CP5. It's just not gonna work as well.

Anyway, enough of that.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I do enjoy these write up's too but I lose interest when all the numbers start coming in. I like the idea of 2 parts, thus way I can bail early. Keep up the hard work though because once you stop its hard to get back.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I do enjoy these write up's too but I lose interest when all the numbers start coming in. I like the idea of 2 parts, thus way I can bail early. Keep up the hard work though because once you stop its hard to get back.

Second this, however the number talk is like passing a bad accident, sometime you just can't help looking at the horror that has happened. This post certainly didn't disappoint as it was 0-60 in 1.5 seconds with the numbers geek out.

Also, on the Kingdom Trails or any place you ride that is spectacular, road or off-road, ofcourse blasting through doesn't really make sense at first, but that would wear out pretty quickly. Like when I rode in VT this year, I stopped and took pictures and crap like that. If I rode there for a week, that would stop and if you lived there, it would just be the norm. I am sure people lollygag through 6 mile, sourlands, ringwood, etc, if they visit from other parts of the country.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i just like the inscription...the rest was webtrash.

well, constantine's cross has some meaning too, which is why He Man is wearing one also, but...

and victory through measurement meant something....

-----------------

You2 packed in a lot of stuff in a short vacation!

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i don't mind the battleaxe geek out.

question about CP1/CP2. what's the point for that measurement? its such a short duration, is it just purely to have another measurement to improve on? or does it translate in such a way that you can essentially measure your ability to drill it for passing in a race, then hopefully recover and hold your position?

my wife and i have a bucketlist ride trip together when the kids are older - bike tours of ireland and france, particularly in wine country. but right now its getting the littlest one to pedal and my older one off of training wheels. all in good time.

GratefulRider

Kingdom is fun at slow speeds but its awesome at full speed. Those are some of most flowy trails you can ride. Riding them slow is like Caribbean lobster.

However, I'm usually the minority opinion. Which is why I love reading about the numbers.Numbers keep us honest. Numbers keep it real. Good luck this season. Sub 190s with 400+ w @ cp5 sounds pretty awesome. I predict this is your year.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most of the KT's are flow style, flow equals fast IMO. I don't think people go there and say "man I'm going to ride this as slow as possible to enjoy the moment". I think most ride it as fast as their ability lets them, it's just more fun. Same with Raystown. From what I remember there was on 1 memorable view at KT, certainly nothing to write home about. Out west is a different story. Some of those views make you want to stop every 50 ft, or at least slow down to look at. I think you just thoroughly enjoyed riding with D so that pace worked. If you had ridden with a different group (that you enjoyed) but faster, you would probably say something different.
I think the lobster analogy might work better for some of the trails systems out west. Many don't even think KT is the best of Vermont. And yes, I'm still confused by the butter thing. Yes, I love butter but why take something so pricey & drench it in butter, wouldn't faux lobster taste the same then? I'd prefer a piece of good fish myself. But I digress.

Top Bottom