Who likes to smoke their meat?

Captain Brainstorm

A Vortex was one of the things I apparently ordered a few weeks back 😃 Doing the initial burn in. Had the Weber Kettle MasterTouch at 600°+ This may get some taking used to lol
View attachment 199786
They make this thing called the Smokenator for the kettle that looks pretty good. I half-assed a home made one out of scrap metal (an old bucket) back when I had a kettle, before I knew you could actually buy one.

ekuhn

(2) 5lb Costco briskets for Christmas. First time doing a brisket, so here goes nothing. Meat Church for the Win. Holy Cow and the Gospel seemed fitting. Prepped the meat on Saturday. Sunday morning starting outdoor temps 15*. Typically I run (3) rows of charcoal around the kettle (snake method) to hold +/- 225. This time I added an extra row to help combat the chill in the air. Started heating coals at 5am. Meat was on at 5:45a. Added charcoal around 11. A full complete ring would have lasted me +/- 9 hrs.

Pulled the first at 12:45 and the second at 1:30. Did have to wrap as they both stalled at 145* and I didn't want to stretch the time. Both pulled at 205* and let them rest for 2+ hours. No problems on the pull test. One was slightly drier than the other, but everyone raved about them.

IMG_8998.jpeg

IMG_8958.jpeg

IMG_8961.jpeg

IMG_8967.jpeg

IMG_8966.jpeg

IMG_8970.jpeg

IMG_8982.jpeg

IMG_8983.jpeg

IMG_8984.jpeg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
(2) 5lb Costco briskets for Christmas. First time doing a brisket, so here goes nothing. Meat Church for the Win. Holy Cow and the Gospel seemed fitting. Prepped the meat on Saturday. Sunday morning starting outdoor temps 15*. Typically I run (3) rows of charcoal around the kettle (snake method) to hold +/- 225. This time I added an extra row to help combat the chill in the air. Started heating coals at 5am. Meat was on at 5:45a. Added charcoal around 11. A full complete ring would have lasted me +/- 9 hrs.

Pulled the first at 12:45 and the second at 1:30. Did have to wrap as they both stalled at 145* and I didn't want to stretch the time. Both pulled at 205* and let them rest for 2+ hours. No problems on the pull test. One was slightly drier than the other, but everyone raved about them.

View attachment 203241

View attachment 203242

View attachment 203243

View attachment 203244

View attachment 203245

View attachment 203246

View attachment 203247

View attachment 203248

View attachment 203249

gotta wrap brisket at the first sign of the stall - there isn't enough fat, so when the moisture is gone, it tends to dry out quickly.
I've been moving it to a conventional oven after wrapping, cause lazy.
Looks yummy!

ekuhn

gotta wrap brisket at the first sign of the stall - there isn't enough fat, so when the moisture is gone, it tends to dry out quickly.
I've been moving it to a conventional oven after wrapping, cause lazy.
Looks yummy!
Yea, I was hoping for the best. Plus I might have dozed on the couch for a few minutes.

I thought about it, but then I couldn't post it in this thread.

JonF

Honestly, smoking just flats is really difficult and i pretty much quit doing so. As mentioned, wrapping can help and the long rest was a good move too. Just slicing what you want to serve (not the entire thing) can help preserve internal moisture. But if you have to preslice the whole thing, submerging in jus can help delay moisture loss from the slices.

On the other hand, leftover dry brisket usually makes really good "day after" tacos, burritos, bbq sandwiches, chili and other goodies.

qclabrat

Yea, I was hoping for the best. Plus I might have dozed on the couch for a few minutes.

I thought about it, but then I couldn't post it in this thread.
What was the temp you were able to hold? It must have been hard want to run out every 2 hr to reload. The oven after 3 hrs would have also been my suggestion

ekuhn

What was the temp you were able to hold? It must have been hard want to run out every 2 hr to reload. The oven after 3 hrs would have also been my suggestion
Furthermore, this is a constant debate I have with my self. I consider myself a smoking purist, using only my Weber Kettle Performer. Charcoal for all my meats, except for a quick midweek cook on the propane grill. The hang up is the time consumption, the constant checking, the vent adjustment, etc. Which makes it a hassle sometimes. So I contemplate a pellet smoker. Set it an forget it, come by every hour to spritz, hook it to my WIFI so I can continue my day with minimal input. Pit Boss, Traeger, RecTec I watch YouTube videos to compare.

Sounds great, but do I need another grilling device on the patio? This can go the same with the Blackstone griddle. This could lead to be 4 grilling devices on the patio. Don't forget the Ooni pizza oven, but that travels and stores well in the basement.

giphy (7).gif

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Furthermore, this is a constant debate I have with my self. I consider myself a smoking purist, using only my Weber Kettle Performer. Charcoal for all my meats, except for a quick midweek cook on the propane grill. The hang up is the time consumption, the constant checking, the vent adjustment, etc. Which makes it a hassle sometimes. So I contemplate a pellet smoker. Set it an forget it, come by every hour to spritz, hook it to my WIFI so I can continue my day with minimal input. Pit Boss, Traeger, RecTec I watch YouTube videos to compare.

Sounds great, but do I need another grilling device on the patio? This can go the same with the Blackstone griddle. This could lead to be 4 grilling devices on the patio. Don't forget the Ooni pizza oven, but that travels and stores well in the basement.

View attachment 203335
Big Green Egg. Does it all.

djm

I've been happy with my gravity fed charcoal smoker. Has an automatic fan + WiFi. I also have a gas grill for quick meals & griddle plate.

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
So does my kettle - but with effort. You have the EGG Genius?

What brand?
Nah. I'm the only genius using this Egg. If I did overnight smokes it would help, but I never do. When I'm around the house it's no big deal since it holds temp so well.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whats your preferred rib method?
I’ll let you know when I find it. Lol

Last few smokes were:
3-2-1, with liquid added for the 2- waaaaay too fall off the bone

Then I did straight smoke with foil resting

Today I’m doing 3-2-1, no liquid- we’ll see

I had straight smoke dialed with the bullet smokers with water pan, now on pellets, not quite finding my groove yet.

Top Bottom