Where is this going ? Commercialization of JH

"Ideas the Department are open to include, but are not limited to, a mountain bike park, Camping or RV resort, or other outdoor recreational opportunity."

"There are a few mountain bike trails throughout the park that were created by the State Park Service and/or in conjunction with biking organizations."

I would love to see what kind of proposals they get.

IMO the key piece of this document is here:

"Because Jungle Habitat was purchased using Green Acres funding, any use must be for recreational activities. Additionally, because of a stream running through the site, and the location of endangered and threatened species of plants and animals, development of the site is limited to the parking lot area of the property."

Paging...

@KenS
@Frank
@trailhead
@Team Town Cycle
@Bleeder

...for comment.

very difficult to do with the ridiculous insurance/legal environment around recreational activities as a commercial enterprise.

There are numerous proposals for the property. Among them is JORBA's request to utilize JH as the epicenter of epic NJ trail rides. Think connectors to multi day rides between many parks you love with JH as your home base. @Bleeder is JORBA's point of contact for the project and I am sure he will chime in when appropriate.

I have met with folks who are proposing usimg it as a venue for mudders/tri's, etc. Thus far the current bike trails seem safe.

The important point here is that our access to trails in NJ depends entirely on our work as ambassadors and advocates for our sport. We are not just JORBA, or racers, fatbikers, bikepackers, freeriders, XC peeps, weekend warriors, family riders or any other subset of the riding masses. We are mountain bikers. We need a unified voice to advocate for us, and JORBA has been working to be that voice since 1999.

JORBA is always looking for new blood. If you don't feel that it is one big tent where all of those folks I mentioned are welcome under, contact me so we can fix it. If you want to get involved, join or renew here: www.join.jorba.org, then shoot me an email to discuss volunteer opportunities. We need your help.

There are numerous proposals for the property. Among them is JORBA's request to utilize JH as the epicenter of epic NJ trail rides. Think connectors to multi day rides between many parks you love with JH as your home base. @Bleeder is JORBA's point of contact for the project and I am sure he will chime in when appropriate.

I have met with folks who are proposing usimg it as a venue for mudders/tri's, etc. Thus far the current bike trails seem safe.

The important point here is that our access to trails in NJ depends entirely on our work as ambassadors and advocates for our sport. We are not just JORBA, or racers, fatbikers, bikepackers, freeriders, XC peeps, weekend warriors, family riders or any other subset of the riding masses. We are mountain bikers. We need a unified voice to advocate for us, and JORBA has been working to be that voice since 1999.

JORBA is always looking for new blood. If you don't feel that it is one big tent where all of those folks I mentioned are welcome under, contact me so we can fix it. If you want to get involved, join or renew here: www.join.jorba.org, then shoot me an email to discuss volunteer opportunities. We need your help.
nice. i was thinking a dozen camping spots and a bathroom would be sweet. like mahlon

From what I can read, the state is saying "convince us we can make money from this and we'll listen." I would be interested in hearing the proposals and hearing how they generate income for the state. I'm sure lots of developers like the idea of making money for themselves. But can they do the same for the state?

Something like setting up a giant RC car track would be cool. Minimal impact on us, brings a bunch of users in. Maybe a hobby shop pops up in town.

Something like setting up a giant RC car track would be cool. Minimal impact on us, brings a bunch of users in. Maybe a hobby shop pops up in town.

Is the one by Mahlon still running? Haven't seen anyone over there recently. Would be a good sample.

Camping or RV would be fine, the Mahlon section has a nice bathroom, but I can't see it being cost effective. You need power, poop, and water hook up infrastructure that ain't cheap to set up.

It's hard to say how this will really effect us as trail users in the future but for now we are on hold as far as any new trail building. The ride center/hub may be something good to come out of it.

damn, they could do an xterra up there.
it could base a multi park mtb event. the lake is right there. the airport.
ultra trail events -

there is actually already an RC car track/hobby shop within 1 mile of Jungle Habitat.

Is the one by Mahlon still running? Haven't seen anyone over there recently. Would be a good sample.

The one at mahlon gets regular use during the summer. Ive seen the gate unlocked and cars and trailers setup at the track on a few occasions. the pond gets a lot of action from RC boaters too

some may connect the dots....."forest management plans" ....with ...."RFI for revenue generating enterprises at our SP".....and draw the conclusion that our public land managers are being pressured to balance their "cost centers"... Is this appropriate for land that we decided was worthy of preservation simply for its value as open space, protection of water supplies, historic value and quality of life? If the gains are not sufficient then what?...back on the auction block?

Hey guys, I've been mulling this over. I'll be working on submitting a proposal for JORBA. I'll throw the whole thing at them, ride centers, epics, bike parks camping. My takeaway it seems revenue generation is the key.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions