When did the rules change?

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I was out on a ride tonight in Philly, enjoying still more unseasonably warm temps -- even saw a few other riders out there in a few groups. It was all good and the ride overall was great. But one thing happened that has been happening more and more lately and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this -- I was climbing up a fairly rocky, steep section of trail and a few other riders were coming the other way. And they never slowed up or gave me a line at all. In fact, the front one actually bumped into me with his handlebar as he passed. Now, he did say, "Sorry about that", so I'm not calling out anyone as an a$$hole or anything like that. It just seemed like it never occured to him to give me a line. I'm just wondering -- when did "uphill has the right of way" become the exception rather than the rule? I've noticed this a lot lately -- oddly enough, it seems to happen with groups more than anything else. I'm riding alone and a group comes in the opposite direction and it's as if they expect me to give up my line regardless of whether I'm climbing or not simply because there are more of them. I could be wrong about that, but I definitely get that impression.

Anybody else notice this? Seems to be happening more frequently.

I have noticed this, trail etiquette seems to be going out the window. Alot of guys I know barely realize they should yield to all other users let alone to a rider climbing. And it's not just newer riders either. I've been riding and some of the others even asked why I stopped. Is this a microcosm of society as a whole as politeness and etiquette has been eroded as tecnology increases......or did I just eat too many sugar cookies tonight?

I noticed this as well. Seems that it has changed to the more riders in the group has the right of way....

Most people you will meet in this epoch, in this area of the world, are self-centered dicks. How it affects a hobby like mtbing should be the least of your concerns.

Last edited:
I was out of the biking world a long time (almost 10 years UGH) and we recently just got back into it (WOOHOO!) and I noticed right away there is a difference in the ...shall I say...manners....of the bikers I see.

In fact, years ago we always gave and received those smiles and "how ya doing" greeting with every biker/hiker/rider we met. Now we greet and at least half the people look at us like we are nuts (and dont say HI back, by the way).

when we have yielded to hikers or other bikers the people we yielded to actually look surprised. Maybe a biking etiquette manual needs to be written and attached to every bike ever sold, along with a HELMET! I am amazed at how many I see without helmets! double UGH!

i thought only roadies were douche bags.
maybe its just a string of bad luck, i've found etiquette to be alive and well on the trails.

Its the part of the country we live in. Everyone's a dick or a tough guy, and when they're in a group even more so. Same as when you're driving a car.

i thought only roadies were douche bags.
maybe its just a string of bad luck, i've found etiquette to be alive and well on the trails.

That's cool! Just to be clear, I'm not saying these guys were dick or d-bags or any of that -- it just seemed like it never occurred to them to yield. That just seemed odd to me. I'm pretty laid back on the trail -- the last place I want any drama is on a bike ride -- so I didn't get pissed or anything. In fact, one guy actually made me laugh because, despite my having a headlamp and a bar mounted light, it was like he didn't realize I was there until the last second.

was he bombing the downhill at uncontrollable speeds?

I don't think so because I'm reasonably sure that if someone were coming at me like that, I'd pretty much poop myself. And my drawers were (more or less) clean post-ride.

Makes me want to start a facebook page just to advertise the right biking etiquette!

I'm a newbie (still), and I honestly didn't know you should give way to an uphill rider. I always either stop, or if the trail is big enough, get over to a far side when all oncoming bikers approach. Though, it makes sense about the uphill rider. Afterall, he/she is expending all that effort on the climb, it would be a shame to break their flow.
I find people in general are more self-involved nowadays. Like last night I was backing out of a spot coming from the supermarket. A lady in a huge Tahoe came around the cornerwhile I was in motion. She barrelled up to my bumper and started honking her horn at me as if I was supposed to stop (1/2 way out)and let her pass. I thought she was crazy, so I started smiling as we passed. She, on the other hand, was livid; cussing me out all the while. It's crazy man.......

It's every man for himself.

The more we communicate electronically the less "human" we perceive other on the trail.

I mostly ride Allaire & Six Mile and I always either stop for or move as far right as possible going either way (climbing or descending) and I always look to the approaching riders to give a 'what's up' or 'how ya doin'. As stated in these posts, it mostly is the group riders that seem to show less etiquette, even if they are experienced riders. I think the better the rider is, the more they think they own the trail and everyone should cede.

That being said and although there are a great number of a-holes, there are many more cool people who say hello and / or follow some etiquette. The problem is that we remember the a-holes more then the nice people. That also is a microcosm of our society. There is a majority of good but we mostly hear about the bad.

Happy Holidays.

A couple of weeks ago I was at Allaire. I was on my second ride of the day another rider was comming at me.We were on level ground so I'm not sure who has the right of way.I pull over look up and the other rider yeilded to me.We both pedal at each other at the same time.Again we both yeild to each other.Then again we both ride at the same time.Both pull over again.Then we stare at each other for a while to see who moves.Finally a woman's voice says OK who is going to go first?I just sit there and wave her on.As she passes we laugh.

I think it also has to do with there are a lot more mtn bikers than there used to be. We're no longer a small close-knit community. I admit i dont yield all the time but if the trail is wide enough, i dont see a reason to. If it's not wide enough, i yield if i'm goin downhill or if the other person looks a little shakey. it's just common sense.

I'm honestly more likely to yield to downhill riders. I hate climbing (necessary evil) and don't mind the interruption. I LOVE going fast, so I'd rather not spoil anyone's fun on a downhill. ;)

Funny, last weekend I had a really nice chat with a couple dog owners. They both grabbed their pooches to clear the path for me, meanwhile I pulled over to let them pass. So we talked for a bit, admired the pooches, said happy holidays, and continued enjoying our days. They had a collie/retriever mix who they said might chase me when I rode off. I said bring it on!

I have had some weird experiences with group rides, (encountering them, not on one) so maybe you got a point there.

Back
Top Bottom