What wine are you drinking now?

Which did you like better? One of the best reds I ever had was a Grgich Hill, but I can’t remember if it was a cab or a Zin.

i'm a huge grgich fan - winner just about every time. although the old cakebread oak/butter has a special place that nobody in france would ever
go....

I also really like Faust cab, not as good as Grgich, but also not as expensive. But still expensive.

i have some of the cellarable Grgich - way over priced. had a weak moment.
I'd go whitehall for merlot. back up the truck!
like the faust a bunch, but i buy it and drink it. Far Niente is also on that list. always makes an impression, but $$$
Peju when i can get it. Provencal (spelling?) is good to grab and bring to a gathering. Same with Franciscan (sp?)

my long term stuff is Opus One and a couple of Frenchys + some great gifts from @Roadie -
just starting a ridge cab journey...

Who does bubbly?
White Star for the best for the $$$?

Friday night we had guests over, and I paused in between beers because they usually bring good wine.
F75C2765-5BFB-4619-B472-51CC8D0F0551.jpeg
Not sure how this rates, but reminded me how I like a good cab.

Saturday was out for dinner, and beer list made me drink wine.
I had a nice Barbera, Mrs had a nice Rioja.
Forgot to picture, because food crisis, partial credit?

i have some of the cellarable Grgich - way over priced. had a weak moment.
I'd go whitehall for merlot. back up the truck!
like the faust a bunch, but i buy it and drink it. Far Niente is also on that list. always makes an impression, but $$$
Peju when i can get it. Provencal (spelling?) is good to grab and bring to a gathering. Same with Franciscan (sp?)

my long term stuff is Opus One and a couple of Frenchys + some great gifts from @Roadie -
just starting a ridge cab journey...

Who does bubbly?
White Star for the best for the $$$?
Whitehall lane delicious, IIRC they co ferment 3% SB with their reds. Tom is a great guy and fellow mountain biker. The Tres Leoni is one of my favorite blends.

I've got Peju CF and Merlot in the wine room that I'm saving for special occasions. The Picolo red blend is pretty good and try Tess when you make it out there.

It is estimated that 3% of wines are "corked" due to the presence of TCA. This is typically a fault in the cork and not the wine. Today, the odds were not in our favor

The '97 Lolonis was pretty fantastic considering it's age. Cutting edge with organic on the label

-221813722_20190925_123947_3508993_resized.jpg
-217196117_20190925_132139_3582569_resized (2).jpg-196878655_20190925_132120_3016600_resized.jpg

Corked:
-219966680_20190925_143342_2315149_resized.jpg

-222737243_20190925_124011_2775937_resized.jpg

-218119638_20190925_132350_2657322_resized.jpg

CF is my favorite varietal, and this gem from the Finger Lakes DID NOT disappoint
-195955134_20190925_124249_2729688_resized.jpg

Crowd pleaser that was made by the friend of my buddy

-220890201_20190925_144734_2237320_resized.jpg

Not pictured was a tired '14 Chianti Classico, a pretty decent but young Brunello and '14 Mt Veeder Cab

Last edited:
48662D57-02AF-4F4B-86A0-0F81114BD978.jpeg
A favorite Russian River Pinot producer. This 08 needed to be drank about 6 months ago. Great nose but funky flavors. Still enjoying it
Update: the funk disappeared after about an hour and this got really, really good. Glad I didn’t pour it down the drain after I opened it.

Last edited:
View attachment 106921
A favorite Russian River Pinot producer. This 08 needed to be drank about 6 months ago. Great nose but funky flavors. Still enjoying it
Update: the funk disappeared after about an hour and this got really, really good. Glad I didn’t pour it down the drain after I opened it.
In general 2007 and 2008 were great vintages! Awesome that the funk blew off, and judging by that color it probably could have gone even longer. Similar to verticals, I like to hold on to multiple bottles of the same vintage, especially when it is a great vintage, and see how they age over time.

In general 2007 and 2008 were great vintages! Awesome that the funk blew off, and judging by that color it probably could have gone even longer. Similar to verticals, I like to hold on to multiple bottles of the same vintage, especially when it is a great vintage, and see how they age over time.
Yeah, there was no bricking around the edges and hadn’t thrown any sediment in the bottle. It was the basic Russian River blend and the last of 3 we picked up on a visit a number of years ago. I don’t think it was going to get better with more age. I have one last 08 left from this winemaker. It’s a single vineyard (Bucher vineyard) bottling. Will probably open that one in the next few months.

Last edited:
Mrs Manic was craving a glass of red, but had none on hand.
Or did we?!?

Being a dutiful husband, I dipped into the secret stash.
I’m not drinking much wine these days, but was happy to enjoy this.
90B901DB-C1CC-455A-9E8C-63DA5B33D48D.jpeg

Back story- we have a wine shop we have been going to intermittently forever. Dates back 15 years to when I was still just the “spicy boyfriend* ”.
This guy was ahead of the curve, keeping tasting notes for all his customers (*I tend towards spicy bold reds). He would keep track of what was a hit for you, what was a miss, and with friends who also shopped there, you had cross-pollination of references- “loved that rioja we had at Carol’s the other night!”
As a result, every reco just gets more spot-on.

So I first tried this bottle out of a mixed case he put together for me.
By the time I finally got around to it and loved it, it was long gone from his shelves.

I then proceeded to track down every bottle within a 1-hour radius.
It may be getting leggy at this point, but every time I open a bottle, I’m glad I did.

tl/dr: good red- full bodied for the style, and incredibly balanced.

Or did we?!?

View attachment 107741

Back story- we have a wine shop we have been going to intermittently forever. Dates back 15 years to when I was still just the “spicy boyfriend* ”.
This guy was ahead of the curve, keeping tasting notes for all his customers (*I tend towards spicy bold reds). He would keep track of what was a hit for you, what was a miss, and with friends who also shopped there, you had cross-pollination of references- “loved that rioja we had at Carol’s the other night!”

By the time I finally got around to it and loved it, it was long gone from his shelves.

It may be getting leggy at this point, but every time I open a bottle, I’m glad I did.

Or did we?!?

View attachment 107741

That was our go to CdR for a while a couple of years ago. Great bottle of wine for the money

Or did we?!?

View attachment 107741

I like where this is going. How close are you from changing Soundz Tuesdayz to Magic Mondays where we drink Cabernet?

tenor.gif

I bought this the other day, I liked the sound of the ingredients.
Bad choice......I like a sweet wine, this sounded like it, but it twernt! Too dry for me.
Oh well, that's what friends are for, I'll pass it on to a friend.

View attachment 107782
Early vintages were very good and allocated, but as with most things, quality suffers as production increases to meet demand.

Back
Top Bottom