What trail is this?

qsilvr99

I went riding on Sunday afternoon and was trying to find 6 Bridges. I think I went right past the turnoff and continued up the fireroad. At the top instead of going down the backside I took a right and found my way up to this lookout. What lake is this in the picture?

Attachments

• DSCN0241.JPG
    DSCN0241.JPG
    276.2 KB · Views: 381
I went riding on Sunday afternoon and was trying to find 6 Bridges. I think I went right past the turnoff and continued up the fireroad. At the top instead of going down the backside I took a right and found my way up to this lookout. What lake is this in the picture?

Hard to be certain by your description but me thinks you were at the lookout by the Double S trail and I think that's Cupsaw Lake in the background.

Hard to be certain by your description but me thinks you were at the lookout by the Double S trail and I think that's Cupsaw Lake in the background.

Right with location, but wrong with the lake. You're looking at Upper Lake and Erskine Lake.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&ll=41.102477,-74.240413&spn=0.023866,0.031157&t=p&z=15&msid=106075455181547650428.00046798696204152e9ad
To get to 6 Bridges from there you just need to turn left (as you approach the lookout) and ride Double S trail down to the bottom, take a right and you'll be right at 6 Bridges.

yup. looking at your gps log it looks like you went down double S trail, and just needed to turn right at the bottom of it instead of climbing up that steep hill.

PArk at Ryerson school, take the Black bear to warm puppy to ringwood-ramapo to skylands to race track & back.

easy to link and will give you decent technical and a feel for what ringwood is about...lots of rock action here

http://www2.jorba.org/images/a/a5/RINGWOOD_MAP_09-02-08_copy_no_elev.pdf

This is a very good suggestion for someone who doesn't know Ringwood. These trails are the easiest to find. The only slightly tricky part is finding the Warm Puppy trailhead. Once you get out of Black Bear, make a right at the 1st gravel fireroad. When you see a sign for the Red trailhead on your left, take it and it will take you up the mountain (Warm Puppy) to all the good stuff.

Yes. The lookout is the double S trail, it peers onto Upper Lake. Was there this morning, then onto 6 bridges, back to red, Brushwood Pond and Cat's Nest and back down the red trail to the road. Has anyone ever rode the fire road that goes from Brushwood Pond south all the way to the neighborhood near Upper Lake? It seems to track the red trail and then at the intersection of the red and blue trail fall off the edge of the world, very steep.

Yes. The lookout is the double S trail, it peers onto Upper Lake. Was there this morning, then onto 6 bridges, back to red, Brushwood Pond and Cat's Nest and back down the red trail to the road. Has anyone ever rode the fire road that goes from Brushwood Pond south all the way to the neighborhood near Upper Lake? It seems to track the red trail and then at the intersection of the red and blue trail fall off the edge of the world, very steep.

A bit confused as Upper Lake is to the West of Brushwood Pond, but if you keep going South on Red (Ringwood-Ramapo) after the intersection with Blue, it will eventually intersect the yellow trail which brings you down to Ramapo:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8326#4

EDIT: My bad .. Upper Lake is South West of Brushwood Pond. Perspective of the Ringwood Trailmap confuses me.

Last edited:

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions