What to get for $600?

RJSBBguy

Hi guys,

First, just wanted to say hi to all.

Total noob here. I'm new to the sport and looking to get a new bike. I'm hoping to get something with disc brakes and Rock Shocks(Dart). In this range, I'm finding disc brakes with Suntour or RS with no discs. I've been looking at Specialized but am willing to look at any brands. Any thoughts?

Welcome,
I won't really add too much to the advice you are bound to get about your purchase, but find a bike that you feel rides well and is maybe upgradeable down the road. If you cannot find the best of both worlds in your price range see if you can upgrade the components down the road. More important than components is that it FEELS good to ride it!

Welcome,
I won't really add too much to the advice you are bound to get about your purchase, but find a bike that you feel rides well and is maybe upgradeable down the road. If you cannot find the best of both worlds in your price range see if you can upgrade the components down the road. More important than components is that it FEELS good to ride it!

Yes, what he said, that is excellent advice. Feel is an often underrated part of purchasing a bike.

Awesome

Thanks for the responses so far. I plan on visiting a store this weekend to test drive. I went to 2 stores so far for info,size etc.An anyone recommend bike shops in Somerset/Middlesex/Union/Morris County? I was going to try High Gear in Stirling & maybe Effingers. So far I like the Rockhopper Disc which is $750? approx. so far.

Matty- I think I'd rather buy local, just to make sure it feels good(as mentioned above).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses so far. I plan on visiting a store this weekend to test drive. I went to 2 stores so far for info,size etc.An anyone recommend bike shops in Somerset/Middlesex/Union/Morris County? I was going to try High Gear in Stirling & maybe Effingers. So far I like the Rockhopper Disc which is $750? approx. so far.

Matty- I think I'd rather buy local, just to make sure it feels good(as mentioned above).

Give Jay at Halters a drive by, he's always more than willing to help people out :)

+1 with what Pearl said J rocks! I'm sure he'll be pretty swamped this weekend, but all the guys there are knowledgeable and willing to help you in your decision.

More important than components is that it FEELS good to ride it!

I'm gonna add my $0.02. The first bike I bought felt good to me, but low and behold it was crap. I didn't even know what a good feel, felt like. This was my first new bike since I was probably 15 and all of those were Huffys probably. Go by feel, but also do some research about the different components on the bike. Some components are known to have higher failure rates than others and you can't tell this by feel. And if you are as new to mountain biking like I was you don't even know what a good fork is supposed to feel like and that was the problem when I bought my first bike, which is often times the most costly component to upgrade.

I'd narrow down your choices after doing research online and with knowledgable bikers and then test that short list out for feel.

Thanks

Good info from everyone.

Question- If I'm trying to decide between bikes,(besides the fit/feel), do you go with a bike that has a better fork/shocks (i.e. Rock Shocks over SunTour) or do you go for the one with the cheaper fork but get disc brakes? In other words- what costs more to upgrade later if I don't get both from the start?

I have a few bikes on my short list. I like the idea/feel of a 29er but it's out of my range.
Specialized-Rockhopper/Rockhopper Disc
Trek-4300 disc/4500
GF-Wahoo/Wahoo disc
I haven't checked out Giant,Jamis or Cannondale yet. Not sure how their models compare to the above mentioned.

just buy whatever your local bike shop carries. at that price range you won't find much difference in between the models various companies are offering and having access to the service plans and advice that a shop offers with their purchases is gonna do you a lot more good than anything else.

as far as shocks vs. brakes:
-upgrading from v-brakes to discs will require a wheelset that is disc compatible (you'll most likely have to purchase a new one) and new brakes. your frame would have to be disc compatible too.
-A new fork would involve purchasing a new fork.

try to get both with your original purchase.

Last edited:
Mary SS!! Got one and love it

:confused:
The mary lists for almost 1000, even i don't know how much more of a deal ($600 bucks of a deal) at your LBS.

just buy whatever your local bike shop carries. at that price range you won't find much difference in between the models various companies are offering and having access to the service plans and advice that a shop offers with their purchases is gonna do you a lot more good than anything else.
This.
I'd look at these:
The Jamis Durango, Specialized RockHopper and Gary Fisher Wahoo is what I would be test riding.

All I can recommend is something with disc brakes. Get on a bike and get riding!

I got my Mary SS with upgrades off this board for $600 it was nearly new, keep an eye out and you can find a 29er ss for around that much.

Last edited:
Awesome

Great advice. So in the 29ers, what others would be in that range besides the Mary SS, Windsor, Motobecane? Any other brands. I like the Specialized 29er, but it's $940.

Back
Top Bottom