What to expect

bclinsure

Our small group of riders normally go to Allaire or Six Mile but want to venture to some new places. We went to Chimney Rock a few weeks ago and want to try Sourlands.

Can anybody give me some insight as to the current conditions and what to expect in comparison to those other trails?

Thanks.

very technical. Nothing like 6 mile, just about the exact opposite. Sourlands is super fun but don't expect to be putting in 10 mph here.

IMO, the winter is the best time of year to ride the Sourlands. Frozen trails and no bugs makes it a blast. Just go when it's frozen. If the temps during the day break 32, just go in the earlier morning hours and the trails should be solid as long as the overnight temps go below freezing.

As far as the terrain goes, it's the opposite of Allaire and Six Mile. Most of the place is covered in rocks... lots of them. As for descriptions of the terrain, this is hands down the best thread for getting a feel for it:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10810

with the best post being:

http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=144623&postcount=11

For your first time, be sure to go clockwise. It's just more fun that way.

You'll have more fun than a tornado in a trailer park.:)

Current conditions are very good. Frozen solid. C'mon out.

Rock Gardens

Sourlands is great if you like few bikers or and more hikers. there is a lot of embedded rock gardens - you really should be on a full suspension. There are some climbs but nothing to big - you will be off your bike sometimes depending on your ability. this is not for begineers nor many intermediates.

I saw someone riding it on a cross bike...I usually walk straight up the (pipeline?) clearing they have there and bomb it down...

Side note...I wear DH armor sometimes there

First ride in years was Sourlands

I took my first technical ride in years at sourlands. OUCH. I will admit though it was a lot of fun. Lots of rocks, and then some more rocks.

Is the whole thing really rideable? I attempted to go up to the "boulder field" and it was boulders the whole way. Eventually went up the pipeline and then down the new red circle and around. Clockwise would have been a better choice but I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Will be back, with shin guards...

I went out there today for the first time ever. It's pretty cool. Like the Trail Directory info says, it's better to go with someone that knows the trails and lines already. I did not. I got turned around on the south end and repeated my tracks…a few times. Then I made a right at trail 4 and completely missed the north end, which I think is the boulder field ya'll speak of. (I should have printed out the map.) I did recognize some of the rock gardens in the middle from vids on in the internetz.

So all in all, I gotta say, it's tough. Some is flowy through the rock gardens and the lower sections. I kinda reminds me of Chimney Rock with some Blue Mt. sprinkled in. I likes.

otb's and bent chain rings and busted derailleurs....what biking is all about. Sourlands is also the best riding in north western Hillsborough.:eek:

I went out there today for the first time ever. It's pretty cool. Like the Trail Directory info says, it's better to go with someone that knows the trails and lines already. I did not. I got turned around on the south end and repeated my tracks…a few times. Then I made a right at trail 4 and completely missed the north end, which I think is the boulder field ya'll speak of. (I should have printed out the map.) I did recognize some of the rock gardens in the middle from vids on in the internetz.

So all in all, I gotta say, it's tough. Some is flowy through the rock gardens and the lower sections. I kinda reminds me of Chimney Rock with some Blue Mt. sprinkled in. I likes.

Any time you want to go again just let me know. I live close and know all the trails well.

so i'm still thinking about hitting Sourlands 10.16, tomorrow morning around 9-10ish. anyone going to be around? i could really use a tour guide.

Went here for the first time with a friend after only MTBing for a couple months. It was my real first test with this type of terrain and i had a blast. Awesome place! Was able to ride most of the trails just walked up the pipeline cause i dont have the cardio to make it all the way. Oh and had only one spill, went over the handlebars haha. Hopped right up and kept on moving.

I also went yesterday for the first time and had a blast. My favorite part was the 3 Amigos trail. Cant wait to go back again.

Lots of Rocks!!!!! Need to use extra caution here and a helmet is a must have, probably wear gloves too!! Be safe and have fun it's a nice place you probably want to go in a clockwise fashion because if you try going up the (most visible) trail near the restroom its pretty rocky and steep.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions