What non-alcoholic beers have you tried?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Categorically, for fermented, (legally) non-alcoholic beverages, kombucha is pretty tasty. There's always a ton of them at Weggys and Costco rotates some stock. Plenty of sold flavors and a few wacky ones with spices. Legally i think they have to be 0.5 or 1.0% max to be sold as non-alc, is that the same for beer? Conceptually, I like the approach of being a beverage made from the onset as being non-alc rather than starting with alc and going backwards from there. Though i've not tried anything other than old Cutter or ODouls back in the day to just the current crop of craft attempts.

i think they've gotten better at removing the alch - i tasted them all in the '80s (i was bartending at a college place, where the under 21 crowd wanted to know which ones tasted like which beer - so i just said they taste like Black Label, which was disgusting, so all good)
the heiney 00 was nice - more a summer beer.

View attachment 153014This is damn good. NA or not. Easily the best NA I've had.

ordered that and the stout - thanks for the reco -

Cassinonorth

i think they've gotten better at removing the alch - i tasted them all in the '80s (i was bartending at a college place, where the under 21 crowd wanted to know which ones tasted like which beer - so i just said they taste like Black Label, which was disgusting, so all good)

Got the stout as well, I'll let you know how it is tomorrow. Super fast shipping too. I think I ordered Saturday and it was here today.

Cassinonorth

A bit more body than the Athletic stout but still a little thin as expected. Chocolate is definitely present. Another winner for sure.

one piece crank

Honestly, I just drink water with food. Digestion needs it, and after a meal or three you’ll crave it. Drink other stuff for other things...

Patrick

Staff member
Honestly, I just drink water with food. Digestion needs it, and after a meal or three you’ll crave it. Drink other stuff for other things...

i don't disagree.

the idea is to balance a sweet with a bitter, or sour.
salty with acidic.
spicy with sweet
fat with acid/tart/citrus

if i'm eating just to eat, it is water (or coffee). If i'm building a meal, the "drink" is part of the art.

i don't drink soda, i could drink seltzer. I just want to stop sitting around drinking alc in a non-social environment.
But i like (crave) beer. what i've found so far is that an n/a beer satisfies the craving.

Last edited:

Cassinonorth

i don't disagree.

the idea is to balance a sweet with a bitter, or sour.
salty with acidic.
Fatty with sweet

if i'm eating just to eat, it is water (or coffee). If i'm building a meal, the "drink" is part of the art.

i don't drink soda, i could drink seltzer. I just want to stop sitting around drinking alc in a non-social environment.
But i like (crave) beer. what i've found so far is that an n/a beer satisfies the craving.

I will say I actually genuinely do like the taste of NE IPA's so it's a nice treat to feel "normal" as well.

Mahnken

Categorically, for fermented, (legally) non-alcoholic beverages, kombucha is pretty tasty. There's always a ton of them at Weggys and Costco rotates some stock. Plenty of sold flavors and a few wacky ones with spices. Legally i think they have to be 0.5 or 1.0% max to be sold as non-alc, is that the same for beer? Conceptually, I like the approach of being a beverage made from the onset as being non-alc rather than starting with alc and going backwards from there. Though i've not tried anything other than old Cutter or ODouls back in the day to just the current crop of craft attempts.
I'm a big kombucha fan. Was just thinking the other day that this brand is pretty similar to a beer
PXL_20210304_023959843.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210304_023959843.jpg
    PXL_20210304_023959843.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 0

Patrick

Staff member
I should also mention I keep the na beers to one or two then switch to water. Then 4 trips to the bathroom by 2am

Cassinonorth

I saw an ad yesterday for Sam Adams making a N/A IPA. Haven't tried it though.

Not drinking is the new drinking. I've been in the alcohol industry for 10 years, if there's money to be made in a trend...these companies are not above making anything. Malt beverages, hard soda, hard seltzer, barrel aged, West Coast IPA's, sours, NE IPA's, pastry stouts etc. They're all just chasing each other throwing different brewery labels on the same liquid and seeing what sticks.

It works too.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lagunitas Hoppy Refresher seltzer

Interesting. Where do you come by this?

The only NA beer I've tried is Athletic Brewing Company in a light blue can. It's surprisingly good but I drink like 1-2 a month or less.

Cassinonorth

Interesting. Where do you come by this?

The only NA beer I've tried is Athletic Brewing Company in a light blue can. It's surprisingly good but I drink like 1-2 a month or less.

Should be all over or at least order-able for anyone that deals with Hunterdon Distributing in NJ (which is just about everyone).

If you live near a Bottle King I could tell you if they have it.

joemundi

Just picked up a six of Brooklyn Special Effects Hoppy Non-Alcoholic Brew from Stirling fine wines. Will let you know how it is...

Top Bottom