metric allen keys
a 9/16 wrench
a leather man tool and a second multi-tool
like the idea of the expired lic...

tube
patch kit
pump or co2
multi tool
piece of a coat hanger (makes fixing a broken chain very easy)

I found this list somewhere a time back and it is pretty close to what I carry.

[FONT=&quot]- Course maps
- At least 70 ounces of water
- Two inner tubes
- Hand pump or at least two CO2 cartridges and an inflation device
- Tire levers
- Patch kit (glueless patch kits are easier to use in the woods)
- Chain tool (and the knowledge to use it)
- Full set of metric Allen wrenches (1.5, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 8mm)
- Standard and Phillips screwdrivers
- Torx wrench if you have disc brake rotors
- Compass (and the knowledge to use it)
- Rag
- Chain lube
- Spare chain links
- Spare derailleur hanger
- Food or energy supplements
- Small first aid kit
- Emergency light source (LED lamps are tiny, lightweight and long lasting)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Identification (Drivers license, state ID, etc.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Milar blanket.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Other items that are darn good to have:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Pocket knife[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Duct Tape (carefully wrap 2-3 feet around an ink pen or Allen wrench)[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Four or five strong nylon zip ties[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- SRAM power links for quicker chain fixes[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- An old spoke cut in half and bent on each end to hold your chain together while fixing it[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- Whistle to blow if you get in trouble[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

That thread may be int he First Timers forum.

My pack:
spare RD hanger

WOW... I thought that I was overly prepared. When I lead beginner rides, I carry almost everything on those rides but a spare RD hanger.....

I bow down to the new king.... All hail the King... Shaggz.

Cheers,

"slow" Joe
BTW: Normally on the bike (seat bag & Hydrationpack & pockets) I have enough Gel and food for twice as long of a ride as I expect and
Cellphone
Money
ID
CreditCard
Tube(x2)Pump
GPS
DoEverythingBikeTool
TubelessPatchKit
TireLevers
TubePatchKit
SmallLight
ZipTies(4)
SmallrolledupDucttape
BigBandaids
and Water

Maybe this is why I'm "slow" Joe :rofl:

Look at Fogerson's pack list ;)

Last year I was on 4 rides where people ripped RDs or hangers, so it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Look at Fogerson's pack list ;)

Last year I was on 4 rides where people ripped RDs or hangers, so it is not out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, I only carry all this crap on long rides or in the winter. During the summer, I take a more "minimalist" approach.

-Camelbak about half full (50oz)
-Pump
-Tube (in case my stans drys up)
-Park Multi tool
-Mini led flash light
-2 paper towels (4 during the winter for snot rags)
-2 clif shots
-cell phone
-keys

Camelbak -holds 80oz full ( i think ) . I usually ride with it full,rather be safe than sorry especially on the hot summer rides.
Mylar saftey blanket
First aid kit
Magnesium stick ( to start a fire if matches fail for some reason)
Wooden matches ( in zip lock bag )
"Off " towelets
2 29'er tubes ( I'm riding Stans , just in case )
Blackburn hand pump
2 Nature Valley granola bars ( only for emergency )
Full size Leatherman tool
2 Co2 cartriges and dispenser
2- tire levers
Park Multi tool w/chain tool
Power links and pins
iphone
car key
Blistex

I'd need to a small flashlight and I like the duct tape idea.

I go through at least 1 RD hanger every season. If you ride rocky trails, it's inevitable sooner or later. I won't leave the trailhead without a spare.

I remember Brian from the Monmouth County trail maintenance class I took a while back. When I was riding today, I was telling Jason how during the class, Brian said if anyone has asthma and needs an inhaler, to let him know, if anyone needs snacks, let him know. Wow! Brian, you are nice. I would have said "if you have asthma, and you don't have an inhaler, you are an idiot."

It was Mike F. with the inhaler, but I always bring extra food on rides. I have a MULE with 2 tubes, patch kit, co2 with 4 carts., 2 mylar blankets, 2 tire levers, multi tool (cpr 17), park chain tool, 2 quick links ( i have used one and have given 3 to others in the last month), pen light, cell phone, camera, a big ol' topek morph pump, a large 8mm allen wrench, rear dr hanger, an altoid can with some crank bolts, chain ring bolts, a break away rear dr bolt, various small bolts (stem /levers etc), Oh yeah, water. I used to carry a small medical kit but, I figured if the kit could take care of it, it was a only a Bo-Bo anyway. (I forgot a dog tag, zip ties (4), and some duct tape wrapped around the seat post.) Mike F. keeps all this and a VW Bug in his pack.

Last edited:
i usually ahve to replace one a season but ive never, f'd it up so bad that i could never ride back to the trail head...

i see the need to be 'prepared' and with the exception of some of the larger parks up north... wayway, ringwood...

if your riding at chimney rock if you bike blows up, your a 30 min walk to the car... thats the worst case... this isnt survivorman... and afterall it is nj
and if your in south jersey id be more afraid of the jersey devil....

now that ive completely jinxed myself

i mangled a RD hanger yesterday at chimney rock. Luckily i bought a spare from Turner 2 weeks ago. Amazingly enough, the XO rear der seemed to stay intact, but the hanger mangled. Very impressed by the SRAM product. Now i need to order another spare .

hmm i have bent rd hangers, got lucky it happened in tourne so i was able to walk it out

but my kit (inside a waterbottle since i dont use them, i have a camelback and its 100000 times easier to fill w/ the water)

all the allen key sizes that fit the allen heads on my bike
the box wrench for the nuts on my bike
a full size leather man
chain tool
spoke wrench
screw drivers (phillips head and straight)
xtra chain links
xtra tube co2 canister and dispenser
tire levers (set of 3)
duct tape of course
i always wear dog tags and carry a knife and wallet w/ ID and CC, and a cell phone
if im in a group we carry 2 way radios to stay in contact in case we get seperated, faster than cellphones, and if there is not cell service they still work :)

and i keep meaning to pick a new RD hanger, but waiting till i have the new bike to get one that fits :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom