What have you done to your bike today?

For sure. This is the third bike I've done so the process has improved dramatically. A heat gun, patience and a little planning go a long way.

I have seen a couple of videos of people installing Invisiframe. I don't recall them using a heat gun. When do you use it in the process?

I have seen a couple of videos of people installing Invisiframe. I don't recall them using a heat gun. When do you use it in the process?
I didn't use he heat gun with invisaframe because it wasn't mentioned in the instructions.

Since there's soapy water involved I'm not sure how that would work out as the heat would possibly dry the water and leave a soapy residue, I think the whole idea of soapy water if for the decal to slide in the right place and for the liquid to be squeezed out by the pressure applied using the squeegee.

Maybe the heat gun makes the vinyl more pliable and then you apply the soapy water?

I use the heat gun after I set the material on the frame. I find it helpful when I'm trying to quickly anchor part of a piece so I can focus on the bubbles without whole thing moving around. And, It really speeds up the drying process on the little tabs under the stays where the water never seems to dry.

Installed her first pair of real pedals just now. After hemming and hawing in my head for a while I decided to start my mountain bike career off with flats and installed them today. I actually purchased clipless first but they will stay in the drawer for a while during which I'll get comfy with the new bike and sport.
yMwUQqA.jpg

yMUyWIz.jpg

Heat can me applied lightly in order to stretch the wrap and make it more pliable. For use with tricky bends, dips, or gaps. Too much heat is not good.

I finally got my Reverb out of my frame that has been stuck for like 2 years. This was a big moment for me.
1589055239875.jpeg

also serviced one of my calipers that hasn’t worked great for a long time. Found some crud in one of the ports. Sprayed it out with air, new seals and a bleed, feels new again.
1589055938756.jpeg

next on the list is to rebuild my Lyrik. Just got the new DebonAir spring upgrade from Rockshox in the mail today. This fork has about 4k miles on it with no service (including 3 DH seasons) so it really needs some love. Says something for the fork tho... it can take some serious abuse.

Attachments

• 1589055386824.jpeg
    1589055386824.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 82
My wife came to me and said "I think I want a bike" so we headed on over to the CPU and logged on to Hilltopbicycles.com and started to look around. We went in on a bike... not all in.... but in enough that she would be on something she would enjoy riding.

She went with a LIV Avail AR 3. It was right where we wanted to be with price at $1,000. Aluminum frame, carbon fork, thru axles and 2×9 Sora.... its a good entry level bike for her.

1st thing I did was scratch the top tube, ditch the dork disc, put on a set 700 × 38 Pathfinders and finished it off w/ a nice Brooks B-17 saddle (all 3 bikes in the house have a B-17) she's seems pretty excited to ride tomorrow with me and our daughter in tow.
20200510_003451.jpg

Fork day!

Serviced the lowers on my Lyrik and upgraded to the new air spring they just released - supposed to make the 2016 fork feel like the new 2020 model...for $42 why not?

I’ve never serviced a fork before. It was surprisingly easy...fingers crossed it doesn’t explode or seize up in a week.

1589244925469.jpeg

the point of no return
1589245026221.jpeg

the old air sprin
1589245127292.jpeg

Had to try it afterwards so I went and bombed down Wildcat in the rain. Felt like a new bike ? not sure how much of that is the upgrade or the first oil change in 3 years ?‍♂️

Switched the el mar to more appropriate Maxxis Ikon 29x2.35, because it's not a DH rig hence can't have DHF/DHR...hit the road yesterday at 7:00 pm for a quick ride in the park (RSP) and the bike felt a little wobbly in the back, then while riding the connector from lot A I completely lost the back over a tiny root and hit a tree...I must have confused the rear tire pressure with the one from thefat bike, it was basically flat! Limped back home on pavement leaning my weight forward, confirmed no damage to the bike/tires...but damn! Did I mention I wasn't carrying a pump?

Last edited:
So it didn't happen today or even in one day. I fell into the classic trap of "upgrading" a bike that isn't really worth it. The GT I bought at Dick's a few years ago when I decided to get back on bike now lives on as a single speed. I think this is about the third time I made major changes to it. The only 2 things left that came on the bike are the frame and the headset. I've learned a ton in the process and the bike is actually pretty fun to ride as a single speed. The major limiting factor is the straight steerer tube. I'm sure I've spent multiple times what the bike cost new on parts and tinkering. The sad part is for the money I've dumped into this thing I could have a Specialized Fuse or something like that but instead I still have this GT. ?

20200510_121044118_iOS.jpg

So it didn't happen today or even in one day. I fell into the classic trap of "upgrading" a bike that isn't really worth it. The GT I bought at Dick's a few years ago when I decided to get back on bike now lives on as a single speed. I think this is about the third time I made major changes to it. The only 2 things left that came on the bike are the frame and the headset. I've learned a ton in the process and the bike is actually pretty fun to ride as a single speed. The major limiting factor is the straight steerer tube. I'm sure I've spent multiple times what the bike cost new on parts and tinkering. The sad part is for the money I've dumped into this thing I could have a Specialized Fuse or something like that but instead I still have this GT. ?

View attachment 128588
I completely feel all of that. I think we both had the last ditch single speed to save the bike idea at the same time haha. I gotta say, I’m enjoying my POS Cannondale WAY more as a single speed.
1589392985021.jpeg

Fork day!

Serviced the lowers on my Lyrik and upgraded to the new air spring they just released - supposed to make the 2016 fork feel like the new 2020 model...for $42 why not?

I’ve never serviced a fork before. It was surprisingly easy...fingers crossed it doesn’t explode or seize up in a week.

View attachment 128484

the point of no return
View attachment 128486

the old air sprin
View attachment 128487

Had to try it afterwards so I went and bombed down Wildcat in the rain. Felt like a new bike ? not sure how much of that is the upgrade or the first oil change in 3 years ?‍♂️
3 years between oil changes? Peasant.
I go ten years.

I installed a brand new tire only to find out the casing is warped... Maxxis Aggressor. I am going to remove and reinstall tonight to see if it fixes itself.

View attachment 128588
Lol...got the same exact bike in a trade with jklett, and did the same exact thing. Except it now went from SS to Microshift 1x9, and became a 27.5, 26" mullet ! Between the smaller rear wheel and the 120mm fork, its slacked out enough to make a pretty decent trail hardtail, for what is originally a pretty low end bike.
20200513_182752.jpg

Back
Top Bottom