What have you done to your bike today?

Idiot. Never work on a bike that works day before a race (Kittatiny, personal fav). Got new bushings from DT Swiss for my rear shock as it had developed a bit of play. Got shock off and bushings back in pretty well. Putting shock back on (using a torque wrench) snapped the aluminum bolt that mounts to frame. Bike dead in the water and part is back ordered with no known ETA. Stuck on the road with the crazy "touron" (tourist + moron) Jersey Shore drivers.....

Switched the front shifter on my Rune from an X9 9-speed to an XTR (SL-M980) in 2x mode. I'm running an X0 22/36T front derailleur, and the X9 front shifter was pulling too much cable. Yeah it looks a little funny, but it works. Never ran a 14T difference in front before, though SRAM claims it will work just fine. Worst case, I'll switch the granny to 24T.

Was running a White Industries freewheel on my SS road/city bike (Pompino V4), but the chainline was a little off. Switched to a $10 Dicta BMX freewheel and it's much better. Those White Industries freewheels really are the best. Gonna sell it off to some lucky person here I guess.

Not today but Sunday I finally put my Misfit back together. Poor thing has Been shelved too long. Gonna take death vadder for a ride soon....

IMAG0955.jpg
I finally got around to dumping poundage off my son's shity bike.
first and foremost almost 5 whooping pounds loss on wheels and tubeless.
I picked up a sweet deal from Brandon @bikehubstore.com, he just got in the 39mm B+ rims. So I built those wheels up and 25mm stans tape. Still had to do the tube in flat to set bead but the tires have been holding.

Then set him up 1x although all I had was a 9 speed shifter and rear D. Works great and a big shout @Frank for hooking me up with cranks as the 3 piece welded crap went into the garbage bin. And also a shout to @Schilling for delivery from the land of sand.
I really like this wheel size which is same as a 29er except some real meaty tires. I am fully committed that this size will make huge industry change in years to come...

@jdgang it's a B+ that can run a 29er wheel along with fatty 26" 4" tires. Won't work as it's 135mm front and 170mm rear.

I'd crashed the Trance and borked the hanger (for sure) and maybe the RD. So I picked up a new hanger at Cycle Craft (pro tip: stock Giant hanger $15, wheels mfg $25) and it got me like 90% better. But I couldn't run either smallest or largest cog properly. So I figured screw it, 9 speed will do. Then I realized I'd not gotten the wheel in the drops perfectly and that solved everything. This after trying to bend the RD around. So the lesson is, don't attack anything with pliers until you know everything else is correct!

Back
Top Bottom