What have you done to your bike today?

Finally Replaced my stock pedals on my Trek 4500. Put on crank bros 50/50-3's. Tested them by riding around the house, then got yelled at by my wife-like usual.

More so what I did for my hands, carbon bars and new grips on the Missy. Did a quick 7 miles on it today, hands felt much better than with the stock Bontrager bars.

Syntace makes quality parts, I have force 109 stem and the p6 carbon post which has the large cradle (like Thomson) to keep me from bending saddle rails.

Syntace makes quality parts, I have force 109 stem and the p6 carbon post which has the large cradle (like Thomson) to keep me from bending saddle rails.

these bars have a bit less backsweep than what I've been using 9degrees (vs 12 degrees) but I might be the best upgrade next to my brakes I've made in a long time. My hands don't get sore anymore

Bike wash day!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367698119421.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367698119421.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 181
Finally wrapped up a drawn out 2 week project on Saturday. Decided a little while back to swap out a few parts on the ss to replace those that were a bit worn and improve the feel of the bike. That progressed into a repainting (rattlecan) I had been thinking about since I got the bike used last year, and had to touch up several rust spots with mismatched red paint.

Anyway, here is what I started with, a 07 Raleigh XXIX.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367892466.562734.jpg

Started out by breaking everything down and then stripping the frame/ roughing up the fork. If I had it to do over I would have gone with chemicals to clean the frame up better, but opted for sanding and light touches with a stripping disc. Did result in some cosmetic flaws with the new paint, but it adhered fine and isn't horribly noticeable.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367892780.553807.jpg

3-4 coats of primer which ended up being the color I left it
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367892873.794886.jpg

Accent stripes done with painters tape, general vinyl Raleigh decals, and glossy clearcoat.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367893022.183514.jpg

Ended up going with black for the fork. Also added was a new headset, longer stem, some frame patches, a new bottom bracket, and chain.

Here is the final product at Estell Manor on Saturday.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367893260.367816.jpg

Finally wrapped up a drawn out 2 week project on Saturday. Decided a little while back to swap out a few parts on the ss to replace those that were a bit worn and improve the feel of the bike. That progressed into a repainting (rattlecan) I had been thinking about since I got the bike used last year, and had to touch up several rust spots with mismatched red paint.

Anyway, here is what I started with, a 07 Raleigh XXIX.
View attachment 14313

Started out by breaking everything down and then stripping the frame/ roughing up the fork. If I had it to do over I would have gone with chemicals to clean the frame up better, but opted for sanding and light touches with a stripping disc. Did result in some cosmetic flaws with the new paint, but it adhered fine and isn't horribly noticeable.
View attachment 14314

3-4 coats of primer which ended up being the color I left it
View attachment 14315

Accent stripes done with painters tape, general vinyl Raleigh decals, and glossy clearcoat.
View attachment 14316

Ended up going with black for the fork. Also added was a new headset, longer stem, some frame patches, a new bottom bracket, and chain.

Here is the final product at Estell Manor on Saturday.
View attachment 14317

Honestly, that looks great! I was just thinking about my old xxix. Way to breath some new life into that old gal.

Honestly, that looks great! I was just thinking about my old xxix. Way to breath some new life into that old gal.

Thanks Dave. Definitely happy with how it came out although there are some things I probably would have gone about differently. Probably a few touch ups and tweaks to come.

looks good dude. I got to replace the BB and crank on the mary last night.

I serviced my trusty Rockshox Duke Race last night. It had been almost 3 yrs :eek:

It has been leaking for a few months but the last straw was when the rebound damper quit working. not so much fun at Baldpate on a leaky pogostick! :D

I cleaned it all out and changed the o-rings and oil. The damper was actually frozen solid. I didn't notice at first so I had to tear it down a second time :rolleyes:
I had to take the damper assembly apart and thoroughly clean it to get it to open and close freely.

All back together and waiting for the rain to stop now :)

Replaced my brakes on my Giant XTC0 from SLX to XTR Race. Finally breaks that stop my fat ass!!!!
The adjustability on these are awesome.
Does anyone want to trade a 180 Ice Tech Rotor for a 203 Ice Tech Rotor? I need the 180 with these breaks

Thanks Dave. Definitely happy with how it came out although there are some things I probably would have gone about differently. Probably a few touch ups and tweaks to come.

Just like the house. Never done! Sometimes I miss that bike, boy could it put the power down on the climbs. Good stuff man.

D'Oh, really that much difference? Huh. Very few complaints on the SLX generally. Nice upgrade though!

Oh, today I took the DH bike to see John. He wasn't a big fan of the gorilla tape for the brake hose. But he did give me some ideas, and some colorful anecdotes from Saturday.
I finally took the bike out of the Honda, as this was the first day my hand felt good enough to horse it downstairs. Baby steps!

Last edited:
Made some long overdue changes to my Fuji Crosstown which I use as a commuter bike. I noticed that my right wrist was starting to bother me when I would ride this bike to work a couple of days in a row. I started thinking that it was due to the this big old SRAM twist grip shifter on the right handle bar that always seemed to force my hand into some uncomfortable position. (The bike is only a 7-speed so there is no shifter on the left) I ordered up a Shimano trigger shifter and a set of comfy soft grips that showed up yesterday. I started to work on the bike after putting the kids to bed. It was the first time I ever installed a shifter, but it was simple enough. I ran the cable and new housing. Once I had the cable attached to the rear derailleur, I just had to adjust the tension on the barrel adjuster to get it to downshift correctly. I took it out last night rode it about 4 miles and it shifted perfectly. I just hope that it helps the wrist pain. Either way, I like the trigger shifter WAY MORE than the twist shifter.

install tubeless tires.. I was trying to have my LBS do it for me instead showed me how to do it. Went back and end up truing my own wheel. Awesome bike shop !!

New Brakes and a 1x

Put on elixer 9s and a nice new salsa front cog. Rides sweet at six mile. Very excited to upgrade my hardtail.

I changed FSA Omega compact crank set and bottom bracket. Put in Shimano Ultegra compact and bottom bracket. Replaced front derailer cable. Very happy with results. The bottom bracket was a bit of a pain in the butt to get off. Especially the drive side.

I was thinking about this thread during my ride today. And thought about how I have replaced almost every part on both bikes.

on bike #1 (the Mary that i converted to a 1x9) the only original part is the right crank. Everything else has been replaced over the years....including the frame:). The right crank. That's it.

On bike #2 (the Monocog), similarly, the only original parts are both cranks. That's it.

And , if you know me, I am not one of these guys that gets new bikes or new parts for the hell of it. generally, if it ain't broke....

But things do break

And when they do it is kinda nice to have new shit ;)

Hence this thread.

spring spruce ups and changes

on my mtb bike I refreshed the tubeless sealant with some more of Matty's homebrew recipe and after a few singletrack rides in April I switched out my handlebars and grips. For a couple of years I have been running ragley carnegie bars with ergon grips. I like that setup alot, but I felt kind of laid back, too relaxed so I switched back to the regular riser bars and put on some new oury grips. 5-6 rides in, I like it.

on road bike, i put a new chain on.

on my son's two year old Mamba, I replaced the bb5s with bb7s and new cables and levers. I could never adjust the bb5s that well, and I have had bb7s on my bike for 5 years so now I can utilize whatever proficiency I have with the bb7s on his bike.

recent photo of my karate monkey.

anybody wants some used bb5s and tektro levers let me know. they are very available.

Attachments

• 0517131449a.jpg
    0517131449a.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 148
added some stans to my 29er yesterday, and cleaned it up a bit. i need a new chain, and likely cassette...i'll have to do that this weekend perhaps.

Put 2 new tubes in my 26er. I am introducing a friend to MTB'ing this saturday, either 6mr or allaire, if the weather holds out. i wake up this morning and the rear wheel is flat again...wtf??!

Went tubeless on my heckler with my new Conti tires. 2.2 race king in the rear and 2.4 mountain king in front. Changed out my rotors to 180's front and rear ice tech. Still have to install my BB stinger chain guide and waiting on my Cane Creek DBair to come in the mail to install. Pumped about the new shock. Hopefully either a dropper post or shimano xt brakes to come soon, not sure which I should do before I go on my road trip out west for a month hitting all the major spots (moab, fruit, etc). I really love the idea of not having to get off the bike to lower the seat when flowing through a trail, but my avid juicy 3's suck! Also dropper posts sure are expensive. Which do you guys think I should do before my trip?

Back
Top Bottom