What have you done to your bike today?

Just when I thought I was out... They pull me back in. SS season is here.
PXL_20240413_203709475.jpg

Removed the sponge that was a tire insert in the rear wheel of my Orbea . I'm not using them anymore.
Topped off sealant front and rear.

I was thinking about this yesterday, more specifically are inserts worth the hassle? Or was this just the industry trying to sell us something else we don't need?

I've not used any inserts for my tubeless life. I can only think of one specific instance that may have cost me a tire or ride, and I'm not sure inserts would have save me there.

I was thinking about this yesterday, more specifically are inserts worth the hassle? Or was this just the industry trying to sell us something else we don't need?

I've not used any inserts for my tubeless life. I can only think of one specific instance that may have cost me a tire or ride, and I'm not sure inserts would have save me there.
If you run the correct pressure for the terrain they're not needed. I can remember one time at Jungle where it hit hard enough that I was glad it was installed.

Most people run to low of pressure for needed traction.

No photos but…

Waxed my chain…

Installed a XT cassette and XT chain…

The chain wax was labor intensive (used Molten Speed Wax directions) and time consuming. I am very happy the initial results! FYI, I spoke to the owner of Molten speed wax yesterday because I made a mistake. He answered the phone mid ride and spent 20 minutes talking me through the process. Absolute gentleman and great customer service IMHO.

I wasn’t thrilled with the performance of my KMC chain with SLX cassette. I was frustrated because my full Deore transmission shifts much better on my other bike. Hence the new XT stuff and I figured dropping some weight isn’t a bad thing. As I far so good.

A few years ago I replaced a set of M8000 brakes with some 4 pots. They were squishy when removed. Yesterday I repurposed them with a full bleed but today one is completely limp while the other is quite mushy. Don't see any oil loss so think seals are good. Should I try another full bleed? Perhaps the some air which got trapped?

Last edited:
Bike wash fundraiser, had them to one of my bikes, one of my wife's bikes.. First time doing any major wash since purchase. They had an interesting assembly line process doing the wash in steps at each station.

When looking at the clean bike section and was actually confused when I saw my wife's bike thinking it wasn't hers.

Next step is tonight I put on all the frame protection I bought and haven't put on yet.

2024-04-14 16.57.58.jpg

Interesting. Might want to look into her activities, she seems to be converting people to single speeds against their will.
Nah, she’s been on 4 geared bike forever, I recently upgraded her bike to 5 gear. She’s also 80 so not much converting going on…

Back
Top Bottom