What have you done to your bike today?

I picked mine up from the LBS (NBD, w00t!). Now I just need some decent weather to start dialing it in.

IMG_3767.JPG

The replacement Moots frame finally came in last week, and the new fork arrived on Monday. I was able to pick up the completed bike today. One thing I completely forgot about this build was that Moots doesn't make the Womble with sliding dropouts, so I needed a tensioner. I already have a Melvin on my old China Carbon build and it works like a charm, so I went the same this time. It was either that or try to find an after-market EBB, and I'm pretty much done with EBBs, so Melvin it is! (The reason I have to go with the Womble as a replacement is that it's now the only hardtail MTB Moots makes. Tragically, the Mooto-X is no more ... RIP Mooto-X ...)

Scott at Evolution worked his magic on this build - the stack and reach are identical to my old Moots despite the "modern geometry" of the Womble - it has 120 mm fork, and a significantly slacker head angle ( 67.1 vs. 71.0 on my Mooto-X). I haven't had a chance to get it out on the trail yet, but while it definitely *looks* more spread out than my Mooto-X it certainly feels "right" rolling around my driveway.

So between this and the new Vassago, I've got two high-end SS's now after having exactly zero just a few weeks ago. I'm thinking the RKT is going to be sidelined for a while ...

IMG_2293.jpeg

Found a random DT spring in the bike wash yesterday and had to figure out where it came from. I know I didn't pull a hub apart in there. After going through some of the repair bikes, none of which had a DT hub, I found it came from the Demo Bike at my house 🤣

Someone must've been bored enough to wash it after my bikepacking trip last weekend.

20230113_074835.jpg

Found a random DT spring in the bike wash yesterday and had to figure out where it came from. I know I didn't pull a hub apart in there. After going through some of the repair bikes, none of which had a DT hub, I found it came from the Demo Bike at my house 🤣

Someone must've been bored enough to wash it after my bikepacking trip last weekend.

View attachment 204767
Let's not spring to conclusions.

The replacement Moots frame finally came in last week, and the new fork arrived on Monday. I was able to pick up the completed bike today. One thing I completely forgot about this build was that Moots doesn't make the Womble with sliding dropouts, so I needed a tensioner. I already have a Melvin on my old China Carbon build and it works like a charm, so I went the same this time. It was either that or try to find an after-market EBB, and I'm pretty much done with EBBs, so Melvin it is! (The reason I have to go with the Womble as a replacement is that it's now the only hardtail MTB Moots makes. Tragically, the Mooto-X is no more ... RIP Mooto-X ...)

Scott at Evolution worked his magic on this build - the stack and reach are identical to my old Moots despite the "modern geometry" of the Womble - it has 120 mm fork, and a significantly slacker head angle ( 67.1 vs. 71.0 on my Mooto-X). I haven't had a chance to get it out on the trail yet, but while it definitely *looks* more spread out than my Mooto-X it certainly feels "right" rolling around my driveway.

So between this and the new Vassago, I've got two high-end SS's now after having exactly zero just a few weeks ago. I'm thinking the RKT is going to be sidelined for a while ...

View attachment 204760
Sweet build. A dropper would complete that bike.

Tried to sort out the AXS derailleur on one of my bikes that was shifting like crap. I don't know if it is because I but a different wheels on it or because I had a crash but was making all kinds of noise and jumping like mad. I pulled up the AXS app on my phone thinking I may need to do some micro adjusting and the app says there is a software update. After the update and give it a few cranks. I don't know what the software update did for the derailleur but shifting improved. Wasn't nearly 100% but noticeably better. I've already checked the hanger alignment and that was good. After a close look I notices the B-tension was way off (upper jockey wheel touching the cassette). I grabbed the gauge that comes with the AXS kit and put the chain in 2nd gear in order to check the spacing and noticed the chain isn't sitting perfectly in that gear. I went ahead and adjusted the B-tension spacing and that fixed the shifting issue... almost. The chain sits in 1st gear and 3rd gear perfectly but still not sitting or shifting in 2nd like other gears. I played with the micro adjustment and aligned it perfectly but I can still hear the chain trying to slide in place while in 2nd only. Down shift to 1st, perfect. Up shift to 3rd and higher, perfect. I did put a new chain on so I'm hoping it's just the new chain needing to break in a bit.

View attachment 204760
what's the gear ratio?

Back
Top Bottom