What have you done to your bike today?

Some minor tweaks.
My bike computer is very bright on my morning rides before sunup.
So much it makes me see white squares when I look away into the dark.
So I took a piece of the black neck gator I found in the park and tied it around
the handlebar and the computer, now I can slide it on & off as needed, it's stretchy.
Image1.jpg

Next, with my long legs (36" inseam) my dropper post needed to be raised, but when I do that
it makes the cable too tight and it no longer works as a dropper. What I needed was a little more
length on the cable inside the frame to allow the dropper to work properly. So I held the cable tight with
a pair of plyers where it enters the frame and smacked it with a hammer driving the cable and housing into
the frame about another 20mm. Just what I needed. Then I loosened the seat post and pulled up sharply on
it to get the extra length of cable to come through and give me the extra I needed. Worked Great! My frame
is a large, but Trek just didn't give that cable enough length in the frame, they left it out front.

Next, my Garmin tail light mount gets loaded with dirt & mud when the light isn't mounted in it,
so I was able machine a plastic bottle cap to fit over it keeping it clean.
Dsc07126.jpg

Time to start on my last flood victim. This one needs everything so...starting from scratch.

20211019_112208.jpg

20211019_174751.jpg

Gonna take a while to rebuild the wheels, I have a spare XX1 AXS groupset for it. The one that was on it had to be binned. I have one unboxed kit that I need to install right before the ITI, with the groupsets on my Tarmac and REEB as spares.

Time to start on my last flood victim. This one needs everything so...starting from scratch.

View attachment 169296

View attachment 169297

Gonna take a while to rebuild the wheels, I have a spare XX1 AXS groupset for it. The one that was on it had to be binned. I have one unboxed kit that I need to install right before the ITI, with the groupsets on my Tarmac and REEB as spares.
I love that bike frame. If I had any even remotely possible use for it I would be on the hunt already, but unfortunately and in spite of thinking long and hard I haven't found one. Yet.

How bad is it? Would love to try to salvage it.

The rear derailleur was completely rusted solid. I soaked it for a day and it's dead. The shifter was off the bike at least. Cassette is poop already. Chain was rusted solid. BB rusted solid. Quarq surprisingly works. Haven't taken the hubs apart but they spin. Brake calipers are rusted solid.

I'm really looking forward to following you on the 2022 ITI !!!!

Ride wrap and VHS installed. Lessons learned on the ride wrap.

PXL_20211021_111109064.jpg

Not sure I'd do a used frame again but I'm positive I could do better next application. It's a solid C+ effort. Some bubbles but nothing awful. Hopefully some of them go away.

VHS should do a much, much better job than the stock chainstay protector and I ordered a different downtube protector. For a $3500 frame you'd think these little details would be a bit better but that's my only complaint honestly.

View attachment 169403

Not sure I'd do a used frame again but I'm positive I could do better next application. It's a solid C+ effort. Some bubbles but nothing awful. Hopefully some of them go away.

VHS should do a much, much better job than the stock chainstay protector and I ordered a different downtube protector. For a $3500 frame you'd think these little details would be a bit better but that's my only complaint honestly.
Nice bike!

View attachment 169403

That looks like a sick build

That looks like a sick build

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. Rode a month or two to make sure I still loved the frame before upgrading the small bits on the bike. Got a few more little things I want to do to it but it's coming together super nice so far.

Maybe I'll try to take some non-phone quality pictures of it when it's "finished".

Thanks, I'm really happy with it. Rode a month or two to make sure I still loved the frame before upgrading the small bits on the bike. Got a few more little things I want to do to it but it's coming together super nice so far.

Maybe I'll try to take some non-phone quality pictures of it when it's "finished".
still a few weeks left to go destroy it at Creek. Just sayin.....

Back
Top Bottom