What have you done to your bike today?

mfennell

Finally fixed the infuriating "creaking bottom bracket" that has been bugging me on my SL5 Tarmac forever. Tightened the headset. It wasn't wobbly loose, but I was able to get it tighter w/o affecting the steering. I also lightly greased the quick release pivots, bolts, and end caps. Found an extra spring jammed up in one of the quick release end caps.

Not sure what actually fixed it but it's perfectly silent now.

Johnny Utah

I had a custom frame bag made for my Chromag Rootdown, super happy with the finished product!

BC4169DC-31CC-4F36-957E-1DA2FAEE3F84.jpeg

Ian F

FINALLY got the Chameleon out for a ride:
1626372113816.png

I've only had the bloody frame since 2019...
The big issue is the brakes. XT 4-piston. No power and squeal like mad. New rotors, but the brakes/pads were used, so I suppose I'll try cleaning the pads with alcohol and sand paper and get a new set on order. Although I may I have a few sets of Saint pads left over from DH racing days...

serviceguy

View attachment 162427
The big issue is the brakes. XT 4-piston. No power and squeal like mad. New rotors, but the brakes/pads were used, so I suppose I'll try cleaning the pads with alcohol and sand paper and get a new set on order. Although I may I have a few sets of Saint pads left over from DH racing days...
What version of the 4-piston? I have the mt8020 and they’re flawless, especially with metal pads.

Last edited:

Ian F

What version of the 4-piston? I have the mt8020 and they’re flawless, especially with meal pads.
M8020. I think the issue is the used pads. I'll try fiddling with them over the weekend and see if they can be saved.

Whew... I'm sort of glad I missed that Vassago when it was for sale.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whew... I'm sort of glad I missed that Vassago when it was for sale
never made it to posting, buyer claimed before the thought, @JDurk caught post of mine and was proactive and it still wasnt a thought, he was next before the thought of posting.

serviceguy

Setup the alternate SS wheelset for the SS El Mariachi with 2.1 Vittoria Metzcal to replace the one currently on the bike which is setup with 2.35 Vittoria Metzcal, in my mind that made it into a SS gravel bike. Hopefully they will roll better on my road escapades...I'm a rodie, who would have thunk it!

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Technically not mine anymore, but my wife’s whip. (My old 2002? Rockhopper)

Noticed this the other day when I was putting it on the roof rack
CA6368EA-2B7F-48BB-822C-8D07B2FE8D3E.jpeg

Apparently she’s been throwing down some watts.

A quick fix, and 9sp chains can be gotten for cheap, so blammo
5EC8EBB5-FB12-406F-85E8-2051BE669317.jpeg
Even though the old chain had stretched at least a half a link over the length, the cassette looks good, and no skipping on a shakedown ride.
#winning

Cassinonorth

The ever changing shop now has it's forever stand. Snagged this Park Tool PRS-2...shop quality stand with two arms.

Drove out to Long Island this morning to an elderly couple moving to Florida and having a garage sale and were selling it for $100. The base + dual arm setup is usually around $1000 new. Damn base by itself is 100+ lbs. No more trying not to breathe wrong on my old stand.

Hit the base with a coat of Rust-Oleum, the arms with some metal polish and ordered a new micro adjust arm for the other side since it was pretty beat up. Looks pretty damn nice for 30+ years old.

PXL_20210718_195227487.jpg

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
The ever changing shop now has it's forever stand. Snagged this Park Tool PRS-2...shop quality stand with two arms.

Drove out to Long Island this morning to an elderly couple moving to Florida and having a garage sale and were selling it for $100. The base + dual arm setup is usually around $1000 new. Damn base by itself is 100+ lbs. No more trying not to breathe wrong on my old stand.

Hit the base with a coat of Rust-Oleum, the arms with some metal polish and ordered a new micro adjust arm for the other side since it was pretty beat up. Looks pretty damn nice for 30+ years old.

View attachment 162749
Great find! I know that stand well. Brings back memories of my first job at the neighborhood shop. 👍🏻

pkovo

View attachment 162427
I've been getting this with Shimano pads lately any time I let one of my bikes sit unridden for a while. Sanding and alcohol alone hasn't really worked, but hitting them with a propane torch until they smoke a bit seems to burn off whatever is contaminating them.

That bike looks like loads of fun by the way.

Cassinonorth

Great find! I know that stand well. Brings back memories of my first job at the neighborhood shop. 👍🏻

Yeah, it's a world away from any portable stand I've used. I think I like the round base more than the current square ones....you can at least roll it a little if you need to move it. I ordered a parts tray as well even though I didn't use my old one much. Maybe that was because I didn't want to work around it for fear of tipping over.

Karate Monkey

Yeah, it's a world away from any portable stand I've used. I think I like the round base more than the current square ones....you can at least roll it a little if you need to move it. I ordered a parts tray as well even though I didn't use my old one much. Maybe that was because I didn't want to work around it for fear of tipping over.

We put large felt sliding pads on ours. They move if you get them low enough, but are fine for normal use.

Your floor material/experiences may vary.

Ian F

View attachment 162749
Wow... $100 for that is a steal. Eventually I hope to have a dedicated work area for the bikes where I can install a permanent stand.

Top Bottom