What have you done to your bike today?

New, bigger rubber for the Demo 8. Should be a nice upgrade over the worn out Butcher tires.

Screen Shot 2021-07-24 at 4.36.07 PM.png

New brakes for the Fatboy. Lots of fun feeding the brake lines inside the frame and fork. Cleaned up the cockpit too with matchmaker mounts (added GX 11spd shifter).

Use a fish line, and plug (most of all) the holes in the frame. Use a shop vac to suck the lines through whatever hole you're routing from. I have used bicycle specific fishing tools fairly extensively, but reach for them less and less, as I've become more comfortable using pressure, vacuum, magnets, and hooks to grab twine or cables.

As for me: replaced the bearings on the FS with full complement bearings, and eliminated a growing clicking sound on compression. Incidentally, I lubricated the saddle rails in the shell where they were creaking (Ti, natch) to remove another sound, and--of all the stupid "repairs"--turned the coil 45° to eliminate another sound.

I am not surprised--but somewhat disappointed--that an expensive frame would come with non-full compliment bearings. One was well on it's way to being seized after several hundred miles. More irritating when you consider that 608 full-compliments are ~$3 at wholesale, which means even cheaper if you buy a large quantity.

At any rate, it's fixed. Judging from the sleeve retainer in the lever arms, one bearing wasn't square, anyway.

Silence is bliss.

Use a fish line, and plug (most of all) the holes in the frame. Use a shop vac to suck the lines through whatever hole you're routing from. I have used bicycle specific fishing tools fairly extensively, but reach for them less and less, as I've become more comfortable using pressure, vacuum, magnets, and hooks to grab twine or cables.
I've got everything in my garage, but would not have thought of that solution. Instead, I ran thin galvanized wire out with the old housing and in with the new. I was really surprised that the carbon specialized fork has no internal guides (after trying to fish the new housing through!).

Here is the requisite updated cockpit pic,

Cockpit.jpg

Last edited:
My brain is having a hard time analyzing how that wheel is being suspended....I assume the clamps are lightly on the spokes and you were working on it on the floor?
Yup, the clamps are loosely around the spokes. The weight of the rim is basically hanging on the head of the clamp. I prefer to add sealant with the bead fully seated. It's pretty easy to do it this way

Last edited:
I can help if you want.
Thanks, but I kinda like it like it is. I very rarely use the large gear up front, only on fast road rides.
Another thing is I have 3 rear wheel sets for this bike and I can't see adapting all the sprockets.
They're good now and work fine. Thanks for the great offer though, much appreciated.

Thanks, but I kinda like it like it is. I very rarely use the large gear up front, only on fast road rides.
Another thing is I have 3 rear wheel sets for this bike and I can't see adapting all the sprockets.
They're good now and work fine. Thanks for the great offer though, much appreciated.

its fine if you like it the way it is, just think you should know that converting to 1x wouldnt have any effect on the rear shifting, you would keep the existing rear shifter and cassette so you dont need to worry about messing them up.

Fire and new thumb? jk
Seriously one would think there is an adapter piece to use your index finger? Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom