Votes: 8 10.7%
  • gt

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • walmart type

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • none i'm a wuss

Votes: 14 18.7%

• Total voters
cracked a steel bike in a head on collision with another bike, and that required a LOT of force. I was honestly surprised to see that there are more steel cracks than carbon ones I figured most steel problems come in the form of bends/dents! I also cracked a carbon superfly by loading into a truck the wrong way :(

Back in '89 I saw at least a dozen head tubes cracked right off the frame - Massanutten Hoo-Ha inaugural Downhill Race. Only a handful of riders even had suspension forks.

Today, could the absence of smoothness be a result of riding big wheels?

I still have 3 years to go on my Banshee's 10-year no crack warranty.

I would assume that it's because there are less people with carbon bikes here compared to aluminum. You would need a larger test group.

Cracked my:

Klein Palomino
Trek 8000
Fisher Rig
Trek 9.9
Fisher Ziggurat
Fisher Superfly
Trek Superfly
Cannondale Scalpel
Cannondale Scalpel
Trek X01
Salsa Mukluk

I think that's it.

I'm blown away that AL is almost 6x the number of carbon.
Aluminum will have what is called fatigue failure. Like bending a paperclip back and forth until it breaks. A bad/poor/marginal design or a repeated overuse outside of design will add up and result in a break. It starts small and goes from there rapidly. Carbon is fragile but is not prone to fatigue failure and just takes a good whack or extreme stress in the right place. The fibers provide strength and a crack won't start and grow quite the same. When carbon goes it usually crumbles all at once like it was toilet paper.

Sorry...I'll go put my nerdy engineer self back in the closet now :)

Last edited:
Broke a Stumpy at the seat stay, a Giant at the dropout... and just yesterday a customers kids BMX at the seat tube... I'm a dick!
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I'm blown away that AL is almost 6x the number of carbon.

People have been riding AL a lot longer than carbon. It's only in the last few years that carbon frames have become reasonably affordable.

My 2nd M1 came with a cracked headtube, but Intense fixed it under warranty. I've ovalized a couple of headtubes, but so far cracks have been limited to the shock-pivot area of my Yeti Lawwill DH-6. I went through a couple of swingarms for that bike.

As a recent carbon convert all these expectations of carbon failure have me really nervous about buying one. I actually ordered an aluminum Bronson but was sent a carbon and was not charged any more for it so I took it. Now I am paranoid.

Also, why are people surprised at AL failures? Given a factor of time I would think all AL frames would let go, its just the nature of that metal in the bicycle application(ie keep it as thin as possible to reduce weight)

I have had many mountain bike over a 28 year period and I only broke one twice. Which I still have and plan to send out to be repaired again. Got to love steel frames.
@pearl has the picture for you!
I am still amazed that my 1995 y22 carbon death mobile never broke.

I have had many mountain bike over a 28 year period and I only broke one twice. Which I still have and plan to send out to be repaired again. Got to love steel frames.
@pearl has the picture for you!
I am still amazed that my 1995 y22 carbon death mobile never broke.
Ah.. the sound those y22 made.. It was like a heard of buffaloes Very intimidating. Too bad those had the unified triangle.

• Hi I had a broken swingarm on my trance in allaire brought it home and put a piece of tube aluminum and tig welded over the crack and it has been fine ever since. I also dropped a top tube down 2 1/2 turned a large to a medium frame and went from 100 mm shock to a 120 mm.
If anyone needs some minor repairs welding jus t give me a PM i live in Farmingdale. bought a couple of mtb and cycle cross kits from nova steel going to try frame building this winter

Back
Top Bottom