What Bike at CR?

Yup, Porsche with a Ford driver. 😆

It's 26.5 pounds as you see it there. It's not built light (XTR and Roval Control SLs aside). The pedals are DMRs, there's an AXS Reverb dropper, and alloy bars, plus that SWAT box, not the lightest Schwalbe tires, and a bell. 🙃

You can easily get that bike in the 24 pound range without trying too hard.
Sounds good man. I have an EE comp that is being assembled by a LBS with Roval Control carbon wheels. Thinking it will be around 26ish pounds ready to ride in my size medium.

Sounds good man. I have an EE comp that is being assembled by a LBS with Roval Control carbon wheels. Thinking it will be around 26ish pounds ready to ride in my size medium.
You're going to love it, does so many things well. I know people are railing a bit against he whole 'downcountry' thing, but it really is....a thing. Looping this bike through anything save massive chunk or big drops/jumps is terrific.

Yup, Porsche with a Ford driver. 😆

It's 26.5 pounds as you see it there. It's not built light (XTR and Roval Control SLs aside). The pedals are DMRs, there's an AXS Reverb dropper, and alloy bars, plus that SWAT box, not the lightest Schwalbe tires, and a bell. 🙃

You can easily get that bike in the 24 pound range without trying too hard.

Damn!! My hardtail is about 30lbs😳

Im doing things wrong as usual

You're going to love it, does so many things well. I know people are railing a bit against he whole 'downcountry' thing, but it really is....a thing. Looping this bike through anything save massive chunk or big drops/jumps is terrific.
Yeah I have no doubt. BTW, what position are you riding the flip chip? Have you tried it yet in the different positions? I was thinking I might like the steeper setting since I really fell in love with a Pivot Mach 4 demo bike with a higher HTA. Favored the responsive, flickable nature and seemed stable climbing low speed tech.

Yeah I have no doubt. BTW, what position are you riding the flip chip? Have you tried it yet in the different positions?

I have a 22 Epic Evo. I keep it in the low position. I do get a lot of rock strikes with the pedals but I’ve gotten used to them and adapted my pedaling.
I raced jungle habitat and put it in the higher position and it definitely cut down on the strikes but I felt like I was giving more up on the stability than I was getting back for the higher BB / clearance so I switched it right back.
I’d just spend time on each and see which suits your style of riding.

Yeah I have no doubt. BTW, what position are you riding the flip chip? Have you tried it yet in the different positions? I was thinking I might like the steeper setting since I really fell in love with a Pivot Mach 4 demo bike with a higher HTA. Favored the responsive, flickable nature and seemed stable climbing low speed tech.
I have a 22 Epic Evo. I keep it in the low position. I do get a lot of rock strikes with the pedals but I’ve gotten used to them and adapted my pedaling.
I raced jungle habitat and put it in the higher position and it definitely cut down on the strikes but I felt like I was giving more up on the stability than I was getting back for the higher BB / clearance so I switched it right back.
What @jShort said. I tried the high position, this after coming off an XL Epic HT (the EE is an L), and I felt like I was going to get launched over the bars on every descent. I also had some oversteer as well. I have 175 cranks (ported from the HT) and I don't have too many hits, I've adapted.

This is years of experience advise and all you really need to do.

I’d add that having a good understanding of suspension function and what you can control would be a good base to work off of.

Winning advise nonetheless👍🏻

This is what I love about the Exie. I rode with @Riggedfmx last weekend and he was striking pedals left and right until he "got used to it" and was ready for them. I struck a pedal once and was pedaling through everything.

What @jShort said. I tried the high position, this after coming off an XL Epic HT (the EE is an L), and I felt like I was going to get launched over the bars on every descent. I also had some oversteer as well. I have 175 cranks (ported from the HT) and I don't have too many hits, I've adapted.
I feel you shouldn't need to to adapt. It shouldn't happen. My original Pivot 429SL is why a strike caused a broken scapula. My Mach 4 sl was way better in that regard and the Exie I don't even think about pedal strikes. Also, my old Top Fuel RSL felt stink b\uggish with the chip flipped and like you were scared to go down a hill. Flip it and it was primo.

Took my newly acquired Epic Evo to red and blue trails. Don't think i'll be riding my 33 lb trail bike for awhile. Felt faster climbing and, surprisingly, faster and fun descending too. Will need to fi e tune the suspension psi and rebound settings though.

20220920_174627.jpg

Yup, feeling the same which is why I am in the market for an EE. For my style of riding, which is more focused on climbing and never going beyond 7/10ths when descending, somethinng more efficient like an XC or DC makes more sense.

And you must be referring to the drop on red through the chain link fence? Yeah I roll that. LOL. That story of the dude who broke his collar bone is enough to keep me grounded.
I'm toying with adding an XC to my N+1 arsenal and Chimney Rock is my home trails. I have an Enduro and an all-mountain e-bike both which I mix up riding at CR.

To me, the chunkiest part of CR is Lemon Twist on Yellow and Lo-Tech and Hi-Tech green. I've ridden a fat tire bike there (slowly), I just don't know if those balloon wheels are better or worse than the 60mm rear travel on the XC bike. Would I end up avoiding these spots on an XC or tightening the death grip and just hoping to not break anything (on the bike).

And.. I hadn't heard about the broken collarbone person but I broke a rib attempting that drop through the chain link fence 2 years ago. And I can't even say I was cool and attempting it as a drop, The first time I tried rolling it (too slow), I hit one of the roots square and went OTB, into the bushes at the base and landed right on a rock. To this day I still go just past there and make the next right to take the scenic way down. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 10.10.37 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-07-16 at 10.10.37 PM.png
    377.3 KB · Views: 66
I'm toying with adding an XC to my N+1 arsenal and Chimney Rock is my home trails. I have an Enduro and an all-mountain e-bike both which I mix up riding at CR.

To me, the chunkiest part of CR is Lemon Twist on Yellow and Lo-Tech and Hi-Tech green. I've ridden a fat tire bike there (slowly), I just don't know if those balloon wheels are better or worse than the 60mm rear travel on the XC bike. Would I end up avoiding these spots on an XC or tightening the death grip and just hoping to not break anything (on the bike).

And.. I hadn't heard about the broken collarbone person but I broke a rib attempting that drop through the chain link fence 2 years ago. And I can't even say I was cool and attempting it as a drop, The first time I tried rolling it (too slow), I hit one of the roots square and went OTB, into the bushes at the base and landed right on a rock. To this day I still go just past there and make the next right to take the scenic way down. :)

I've been in CR on a bunch. Ridgid SS, short travel HT, 26r fs, fs 27.5, CX bike, fattie. I'm not fast but like tech (journeyman)

It isn't the bike that prevents an OTB, or a washout, or catching a pedal. It is experience. Best thing is watching someone. Line, body position, speed. Mighty even be seeing that it is rideable.

That being said, get a fatbike. 😄

I've been in CR on a bunch. Ridgid SS, short travel HT, 26r fs, fs 27.5, CX bike, fattie. I'm not fast but like tech (journeyman)

It isn't the bike that prevents an OTB, or a washout, or catching a pedal. It is experience. Best thing is watching someone. Line, body position, speed. Mighty even be seeing that it is rideable.

That being said, get a fatbike. 😄
Got one.. its waiting for the snow... :)

Hey I am in the market for an Evo. How does that bike ride in CR? Is the 100/120 travel sufficient, any trails that are no-go or is it all doable? Evo Expert is in my crosshairs and CR is my home park so any insight would be helpful.
100/120 is perfect for cr. I’d consider the Ibis Exie over the evo. I previously had a mach 4 sl and test rode an evo. Both were bad with pedal strikes. Not sure what the difference is but if I were to buy a new bike tomorrow it would be another exie.

I had an Enduro and while hitting the chunk you mentioned was a lot of fun on it, it's just way too much bike for there, especially on any switchback climbs (like on blue). I ended up getting a SJ Evo, which I think is a terrific trail bike for me and my skill level (it's pretty forgiving), but probably still too much bike for more experienced riders.

@Dave Taylor mentioned the Epic Evo in response to @CNJRider post (he already got one, it's an old post). I have that bike as well and think it's an absolute blast to ride. He makes excellent points about the pedal striking, so consider that. I've not experienced the pedal strikes he mentions, but YMMV.

You reasoning behind that drop leading to red is the same as mine. Sight line for those roots is just a bit too late for me personally.

You reasoning behind that drop leading to red is the same as mine. Sight line for those roots is just a bit too late for me personally.
No line necessary with enough tire and suspension. Just go.

Going up is another story. Full turbo mode and pray you make it all the way cause your not catching that 50lb. bike if you don't.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions