What Bike at CR?

CNJRider

Joker
Sweet, thanks for the info. Will definitely hit it tomorrow. Big decision now is whether I bring the Enduro like I usually do or roll with the Epic Evo. Not planning to do anything heavier than RWB or Orange/Green.
Hey I am in the market for an Evo. How does that bike ride in CR? Is the 100/120 travel sufficient, any trails that are no-go or is it all doable? Evo Expert is in my crosshairs and CR is my home park so any insight would be helpful.

Bikeworks

Hey I am in the market for an Evo. How does that bike ride in CR? Is the 100/120 travel sufficient, any trails that are no-go or is it all doable? Evo Expert is in my crosshairs and CR is my home park so any insight would be helpful.
No idea how it rides there, that's what I was hoping to find out lol. It has the 35mm 120 travel Sid, so it should definitely be stouter. Since it is also a bit slacker compared to the regular Epic, I figured it might be able to handle the tamer stuff? Out here in SI it's absolutely perfect, really enjoy riding it in Allaire, Tourne, and Nassau as well. I figure the Orange in Tourne is comparable to the stuff on Red, Blue, and Orange at CR, so why not. Right? Right? 🙃

CNJRider

Joker
No idea how it rides there, that's what I was hoping to find out lol. It has the 35mm 120 travel Sid, so it should definitely be stouter. Since it is also a bit slacker compared to the regular Epic, I figured it might be able to handle the tamer stuff? Out here in SI it's absolutely perfect, really enjoy riding it in Allaire, Tourne, and Nassau as well. I figure the Orange in Tourne is comparable to the stuff on Red, Blue, and Orange at CR, so why not. Right? Right? 🙃
Haha, I see. i think a full on enduro would actually be over biked at CR. I am beginning to feel that way with my 140 trail bike even! And, I see plenty of guys on FS cross country bikes and even HTs out there so I think an Evo would be perfectly doable. CR has a lot of technical climbs but the descents are never too gnarly, just a bit rowdier than the rockiest parts of Nassau. Actually, while the trails overall are on the rockier side, there is also a decent amount of flowy ST too like on white and behind the ball fields.

Ill be there Sat morning too but about 7am.

Cole

Haha, I see. i think a full on enduro would actually be over biked at CR. I am beginning to feel that way with my 140 trail bike even! And, I see plenty of guys on FS cross country bikes and even HTs out there so I think an Evo would be perfectly doable. CR has a lot of technical climbs but the descents are never too gnarly, just a bit rowdier than the rockiest parts of Nassau. Actually, while the trails overall are on the rockier side, there is also a decent amount of flowy ST too like on white and behind the ball fields.

Ill be there Sat morning too but about 7am.
Posting at 2:30a riding at 7a... Nice. Heading down soon myself

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

It is fun on a rigid single speed, hard tail, or Xc oriented full squish. No need for long travel bike. There are no big drops. I think there is only 1 small one, and ya got to hit it hard not to roll it.

Bikeworks

I'm going a bit later than you guys, gonna give the EE a whirl. The Enduro has been my default there because it's SOOOO forgiving. It's basically a long-travel trail bike for me (I'm a clyde, and it's a very good climber despite its weight).

CNJRider

Joker
It is fun on a rigid single speed, hard tail, or Xc oriented full squish. No need for long travel bike. There are no big drops. I think there is only 1 small one, and ya got to hit it hard not to roll it.
Yup, feeling the same which is why I am in the market for an EE. For my style of riding, which is more focused on climbing and never going beyond 7/10ths when descending, somethinng more efficient like an XC or DC makes more sense.

And you must be referring to the drop on red through the chain link fence? Yeah I roll that. LOL. That story of the dude who broke his collar bone is enough to keep me grounded.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
And you must be referring to the drop on red through the chain link fence? Yeah I roll that.
I'd be afraid too huck that to a flat landing. I was thinking middle yellow coming down the middle after the switchback s

Cole

Well I was there at 7 and out by 915. Perfecto. Zero moisture anywhere. What little rain we saw this week here in Bridgewater was not evident at all by Sat morning.

Chef"s kiss. Moowoh!
View attachment 194820

Lots of leaves down but not enough to worry about. Feels like July but looks like late October. Go figure.

View attachment 194821
View attachment 194823

Is it fall already? Trees at the Gilbride lot seem to think so.

View attachment 194826

More leaves... Come n get it.

View attachment 194825
Nice, pretty sure I passed you loading up

Bikeworks

Yup, feeling the same which is why I am in the market for an EE. For my style of riding, which is more focused on climbing and never going beyond 7/10ths when descending, somethinng more efficient like an XC or DC makes more sense.

And you must be referring to the drop on red through the chain link fence? Yeah I roll that. LOL. That story of the dude who broke his collar bone is enough to keep me grounded.
I ended up doing a loop of RWB, then to the other side for a loop of Orange, Yellow, and Green. Never went through more than 80% or so of my travel.

Can't picture what part you're talking about on Red. I rarely go up by the fence line though, so maybe that's why.

I'd be afraid too huck that to a flat landing. I was thinking middle yellow coming down the middle after the switchback s
Are you talking about the stepdown before the slab, maybe a turn before the creek bed? I've rolled that once with the Enduro, chickened out today with the EE. I wasn't carrying near enough speed, and it was the end of my ride so I was pretty gassed.

IMG_2946.jpg
IMG_2954.jpg

CNJRider

Joker
Nice bike. What build? After test riding a Pivot Mach 4 XC at 6 MR my 140 trail bike feels like a clumsy, heavy monster truck. Do you get that feeling when switching back and forth? Ever feel yourself wishing for the enduro today?

I was referring to the gap in the chain link fence on red when headed from Chimney Rock road toward Newman on the gravel road. It's a rooty, steepish but rollable drop to a smooth landing.

Screenshot_20220827-164254_Strava.jpg

Bikeworks

Nice bike. What build? After test riding a Pivot Mach 4 XC at 6 MR my 140 trail bike feels like a clumsy, heavy monster truck. Do you get that feeling when switching back and forth? Ever feel yourself wishing for the enduro today?

I was referring to the gap in the chain link fence on red when headed from Chimney Rock road toward Newman on the gravel road. It's a rooty, steepish but rollable drop to a smooth landing.

View attachment 194853
I'll have to go look for it lol.

Thanks for the compliment on the bike. It's an 12s XTR build, ported everything over from my Epic HT that it replaced. I love everything about save the brakes; my SLX on the Enduro is just so much better at modulation and bite. Given my not so great level of skill, I'd say you'd be very well biked with an EE at CR.

I never wished I had the Enduro other than on the downhill switchbacks on blue (it's basically what the bike was made for, downhill chunk). That said, it's definitely way too much bike for me. I bought it as an intro to full suspension, and it was all that was available at the time. I'm now looking into a Stumpjumper.

Last edited:

CNJRider

Joker
Cool. I just noticed it’s an S-works too. o_O

What does that setup weigh? My alloy trail bike is about 33 w pedals, multitool and bottle cage. When riding a ~26 pound Mach 4, I was surprised by how much difference in feel 7 or so pounds made just picking it up and moving it around. Epics are known to be among the lighter options in their class I heard too.

Bikeworks

Yup, Porsche with a Ford driver. 😆

It's 26.5 pounds as you see it there. It's not built light (XTR and Roval Control SLs aside). The pedals are DMRs, there's an AXS Reverb dropper, and alloy bars, plus that SWAT box, not the lightest Schwalbe tires, and a bell. 🙃

You can easily get that bike in the 24 pound range without trying too hard.

eastbloc

I rotate three bikes at CR:
  • Framed Montana, full suspension carbon fat bike with 3.7” tires. This is the best all-arounder, comfortable, roll anything, traction in all conditions.
  • Spot Honey Badger, single speed belt drive hardtail with a Fox Factory 32 front fork. This is hands down my preferred ride when conditions are mostly dry or better.
  • Kona Process 153, full suspension enduro. This bike is overkill at CR and my least favorite to ride there.
YMMV.

CNJRider

Joker
Took my 27.5 alloy hardtail today for the first time in maybe a year. Set some new PRs on red and blue which was surprising because I felt like I was taking it slower than usual. Despite being faster, the HT was fatiguing to ride. Called it quits after just red and blue and was wishing for my 140 FS instead.

Will report back after acquisition of the epic evo.

20220905_094248.jpg

njmark

Professional Cyclist
I thought my old XTC was the bees knees at CR for years but after bring off the bike for a couple years and now being on a 120mm FS, I don't really miss my HT anymore. Any more squish I think would be overkill there

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions