What 29er?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
can you guys stay on topic...for once...please. this is important to the 29er borg here. jeez. :D

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
OK,

I guess I'm not getting it, why do I want less travel?:eek:

I'm not planning on racing this. (Well...)

Tim

remember, the wheels are 3" bigger too.

and don't drink the kool aid man!!! word on the streets is that a dedicated 29er rider on here just got a 26" bike! don't believe the hype!

Last edited:

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Tim,
3K budget for 27lbs FS 29er?

Are you going new or used? I'm assuming new..
Niner Rip; Frame, Fork, wheels. budget spent!
HiFi = complete
You kind of answered your own question.

Hmmm? Do you have any components from past Mtn bikes you can sell or use? My guess is another 1500 easy to get under 30lbs range.

Rigid Steel 29 frames aren't that harsh. Look into test rides. It just may be your ticket.

Tony,

I guess that's part of my question, what makes the Niner a better bike than the Fisher?:hmmm: Maybe someone who has ridden both can answer.

$1500 for me is huge, seeing as I spent $650 for my current bike (used). My plan was to try to sell my current bike to finance part of the new one.

Tim

ArmyOfNone

the fox fork clearance is one thing (as in, it won't completely clear). not a lot of people ride them...why?...i dunno...that's another. if you google them, you'll find that there are very few reviews. why? again, dunno.

You can also save yourself some loot if you go with the rock shock fork. I have the Reba Race and love it. I think I finally have things dialed in and its got it going on. Everyone I speak to about the fork loves it. The Fox fork I have heard more bad than good. Many complain that it is complicated and hard to dial in. I spoke to a guy who had a Reba and the F29er and preferred the Reba over his Fox.

There is almost a 300 dollar difference between the two.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Dirt Jump bikes don't count:)

Yes they do!! That's why my Mary will be replaced by a SS steelhead built as a trail bike that will be jump worthy. I have spent alot of time thinking about this, but only have a frame and wheelset as of now. I just happen to be to short and aggressive for the 29 revolution. I had a blast on the mary, but it limits the terain I can ride. So there is at least one person across enemy lines - me.:eek:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you're a crack whore, what do you know. :D

yeah, i dunno if you really wanna go throwing that mary off of big drops. i mean, i do it, but i'm hardcore. :D

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Tim,
Just keep in mind, you will be able to get more bang for your buck if you stick with 26" wheels. I am not saying 29ers don't have there advantages 26" wheels can be thrown around alot more, however I did ride 20" for 7 or 8 years exclusively...also take into consideration that 26" geometries are all figured out, where 29ers are a WIP and some goofy things are done to get a similar feel...

just don't count 26" wheels out, especially if you only have one bike.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
Niner Jet 9 medium frame in Kermit green weighs 6.28 lbs. Surprisingly so does the Large anodized frame hangin next to it. The Jet could defs prove to be a light xc 29er.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Try the Gary Fisher Hi-Fi 29'er, we have a size run of them in stock if you wanted to throw a leg over one...Fisher's been at the forefront of the 29'er movement from day one and is by far the industry leader when it comes to big wheel innovation. Once you go G2, you'll never come back:D

And just as a PS here, I bought a Fisher BEFORE they hired me to race one;)

-Jim.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Jim,

I was up in your area a few weeks ago (for a funeral) and stopped into the shop. You had the HiFi Deluxe 29 and I rode it around the lot but I was in my suit and dress shoes. You can't get much of a feel by riding around the lot. One thing, I didn't really like the feel of the Sram shifters or the Juicy 5s. Maybe just that they weren't broken in, but I think I would spend the extra money to move up to the Pro. Do you guys allow the bikes to be taken out on the trail?

Tim

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Jim,

I was up in your area a few weeks ago (for a funeral) and stopped into the shop. You had the HiFi Deluxe 29 and I rode it around the lot but I was in my suit and dress shoes. You can't get much of a feel by riding around the lot. One thing, I didn't really like the feel of the Sram shifters or the Juicy 5s. Maybe just that they weren't broken in, but I think I would spend the extra money to move up to the Pro. Do you guys allow the bikes to be taken out on the trail?

Tim

Yes, it's worth it to get the pro, it's got X-9 and Juicy 7's, not to mention a Fox F29 and tubeless wheelset. Which size did you ride? I can get one for you to ride in the woods for a weekend...I'm usually upstairs wrenching so if you stop in again have one of the sales dudes call me down...

-Jim.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Jim,

I thought the Pro had full XT spec on the drivetrain?

I'll def look you up when I'm ready to make my decision. The one shop around here that carries Fishers doesn't seem too interested in 29ers. They didn't even have on in the shop when I stopped in.

Thanks,

Tim

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Uh oh. Might not want to order a Jet 9...

Niner Bikes said:
We have some bad news to report. We have seen 7 frames where the upper link has broken on the Jet 9. We have started some initial investigations into the cause.

We just got some of the failed links back and are sending them out for additional testing.

We feel it is our responsibility to inform you and to keep you posted about how we are going to rectify the situation.

We at this time do ask that you stop riding your Jet 9 and please have your local shop inspect the upper shock linkage for cracks. If you have a crack please contact us. If not we still must ask that you do not ride the bike further as there is always a potential for an injury due to a breakage.

Given our size we spend a huge amount of money on R&D testing. We use FEA analysis on our frames and parts, physical jig testing, and of course real world testing. Even with these safe guards in place things can still happen.

We hope you will be understanding and see that we are being open about this issue. We are riders just like you and know what a bummer it is to get something and not be able to use it. We are going to rectify the situation and get you back on the trails as fast and responsibly as we can. I’m sure this will be fodder for those “haters” but we will just have to take our lumps and move on.

Chris & Steve
Niner Bikes

B

Btown29r

I ended up going with the Redline D660 29r. So far, so good, and no complaints. -mJ

Top Bottom