What 29er?

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Well, the 29er brainwashing from this site has started to take hold. I’m starting to look for a new full squish geared 29”. Before the SS/Rigid screaming starts, I need this bike to be my all-purpose bike, I don’t have the money or space for multiple bikes (too many expensive hobbies) + I’m old and love my gears and squish:D. I want to stay under $3K and was looking for something around 27lbs. Probably looking to get something by the end of the summer. Here is what I’m looking at:

1. Gary Fisher HiFi Pro 29:
Pros: About 27lbs right off the showroom floor, $3K list - can get for about $2600?, I have a Fisher now and like the handling and how I sit over the bike.
Cons: Can’t buy from Halter’s, color

2. Niner RIP:
Pros: High Bling factor, good reviews, custom build.
Cons: I think it would be hard to build this sub-28lb for anywhere near the price of the HiFi.

3. Van Dessel Jersey Devil FS:
Pros: Local company, good reviews, nice price w/White Bros fork, custom build.
Cons: Don’t know anyone who owns one of these, White Bros fork?

I still haven’t ridden a 29er yet, but from everything I hear, as soon as I try it I’ll want it. What are the thoughts?

Oh yeah, I’m 5’11 and about 205lbs.

Let the knowledge flow.

Tim

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Before you do anything..

Stop by and see the JET 9 that I just got in today.

J_

P

pdm362

I ride an Orbea Lanza 29er. Although it is built up rigid and SS the frame is awesome and really light. There are built kits available that would be in your price range.

J-Dro

OK,

I guess I'm not getting it, why do I want less travel?:eek:

Tim

It depends where you ride most of the time. 4.5" on a 29er is overkill for many places in NJ and will come at a weight penalty.

If you ride rocky gnarly trails most of the time, then go for more travel.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Many people, myself included, feel the 29" wheel gives you a little extra travel. So the 3.1" 29er bike is like a 5" 26er bike - so goes the theory. Not everyone agrees with this.

Let me ask you this. Why don't you currently ride a 7" travel bike?

The Jet is 5.8 pounds for the frame while the RIP is 6.4. In your quest to stay under 28 pounds at that price point, you have to start thinking if the .6 pounds is worth it for the (possibly negligible) extra travel. A starting weight of 6.4 is up there. Those component weights add up really fast.

Wobbegong

Tim,

Grab a demo hardtail 29er from Jason before you make a decision on FS. Since you ride Six Mile often, it might work out for you. I had the Mary rigid for a while and it was lots of fun at 6m.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
if i'm buying, right now i'd be looking at fishers or niners. there are just too many "questions" with the van dessels. the fox fork clearance is one thing (as in, it won't completely clear). not a lot of people ride them...why?...i dunno...that's another. if you google them, you'll find that there are very few reviews. why? again, dunno. trust me, if anyone would like to run a dessel, it's me. i'm just finding it increasingly difficult to justify the $$.

TonyC

Tim,
3K budget for 27lbs FS 29er?

Are you going new or used? I'm assuming new..
Niner Rip; Frame, Fork, wheels. budget spent!
HiFi = complete
You kind of answered your own question.

Hmmm? Do you have any components from past Mtn bikes you can sell or use? My guess is another 1500 easy to get under 30lbs range.

Rigid Steel 29 frames aren't that harsh. Look into test rides. It just may be your ticket.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
Many people, myself included, feel the 29" wheel gives you a little extra travel. So the 3.1" 29er bike is like a 5" 26er bike - so goes the theory. Not everyone agrees with this.

As one who has owned both hardtail and full suspension 29ers, and ridden plenty of hardtail and full suspension 29ers with up to 5" of travel over the years, I don't agree with that. It has a lot more to do with the way a bike is designed than with just the travel numbers, and the latest crop of longer-offset 29er forks have blurred the lines even more as 29ers steer quicker than ever.

The Jet 9 is a race bike. If you're not racing, the Rip 9 will be more fun. I spent an hour on a Rip9 at Blue Mountain last year, and LOVED it. Great bike. The WB fork was rubbish, though- stay away from those.

HiFi Pro is a great spec'd bike for the money. Hard to beat.

The Kalmyk

I say RIP 9 if your looking to buy soon....Not as much feed back on the JET 9 YET....RIP just went under the knife for 08 and has a new rear end

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
actually, i really want to ride a trek 69er. it looks really interesting...slutty name aside. :D

Top Bottom