Wharton Conditions

sandman

Thanks for the heads up... Also, thanks for all the hard work out there, I didn't recognize you yesterday when I ran into you(that burnt charcoal camo you were covered in really works)! Seriously tho, Thanks Man! Lemme know about any Sunday TM days, I wanna break in the new axe!
---What the el Dave, I have plenty of trails that need a good new axe.

Davesnhere

i'm planning on riding here after a long hiatus. what's the tick situation like at the moment?
After smothering myself with 40% deet, then riding the orange trail...no ticks, BUT....damn Chiggers! I swear I pretty much bathed in bug spray, but the damn things found their way into my shoes! Think we should request an airstrike on the entire area with napalm to get rid of them for good!

Davesnhere

After smothering myself with 40% deet, then riding the orange trail...no ticks, BUT....damn Chiggers! I swear I pretty much bathed in bug spray, but the damn things found their way into my shoes! Think we should request an airstrike on the entire area with napalm to get rid of them for good!
I'm gonna stick to the double-track for now until we get a few good frosts!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

Confirmed. It is a bad year for chiggers and nymph tics.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
A small group of JORBA/Wharton volunteers spent the last several weeks cataloging the post summer trail brushiness and trail storm issues. Most times even resolving them. (When time and equipment allow). Updates to follow. Thanks!

IMG_0456.jpg

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
There is an orienteering event on Sunday 3/15/20. If you're riding, keep your head on-swivel. The newbies at the event will likely be stopped mid-trail puzzling over the map.

There are motorcycle events in the area on: 2/23/20; 3/15/20; 3/22/20; and 4/5/20. If you're riding, keep your ears open. Pay attention when crossing fire cuts and the sand roads.

If you find yourself on the trail when the the trail is thawing and turning to a sand slurry, please save the trail and jump onto the adjacent sand roads. The volunteer trail maintenance crew thanks you for taking this action.

Please do not ride on the hiking-only trails, or ride through the village. Hiking-only trails are marked with colored squares and paint on the trees. MTB trails are marked with colored circles and plastic discs on the trees

There are restrooms inside the visitor center, and 24/7 restrooms on the side of the visitor center. Please do not frighten/annoy someones grandmother by using the Batsto Visitor Center Parking lot as a urinal.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Big thanks to Uncle Pibbles for his axe work on some of those PBT blowdowns today.
Conversations amongst JORBA/Wharton volunteers is similar to the conversations in this video.
If you think you'd enjoy chopping thru the heart of one of those big dead aged fallen oaks you see on-trail. DM me. We'll hook you up. :)

sandman

I prefer my 5# council (made in 'merica) and I believe my axes are sharper..... wood butcher for life yo!
I'm no stranger to the axe myself, and other then the weight, take it out on long trips deep into the woods. It's a lb. and a half with a shorter handle, so it takes more swings, but gets the job done. If I'm allowed to work alone, I gladly volunteer to do some log clearing. Just tell what, and what not to chop, yo.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
There have been high winds in the area all day today. There are many large and small branches down on the roads surrounding Batsto. If you will be riding this weekend, expect lots of limb litter and maybe several blowdowns. If you are able, please feel free to drag what you can off the trail. Thanks!

Robson

I'm planning to go there tomorrow. It will be my first time. What is the best place to park and ride from?

sandman

2 days of rain kept us off the trails and put us on the sand roads. Sunny day with 5 other riders and a trip to Apple Pie Hill. 23 miles from The Franklin Parker.20190418_211045.JPG20190418_211052.JPG20190418_203329.JPG20190418_194900.JPG

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions