Wharton Conditions

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The next Wharton Forest trail maintenance day is Monday March 7. Inclement weather/conditions cancels. Work plan includes removing a burnt section of bridge. Meet at 9:00 near the trail head. We'll be back by noon. Please bring water, gloves, a sense of humor, and suitable footware. (Muck Boots are a plus). You will be required to complete and sign a waiver for 2022. Trail tools will be available. Wharton Volunteer Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.

pibbles

The next Wharton Forest trail maintenance day is Monday March 7. Inclement weather/conditions cancels. Work plan includes removing a burnt section of bridge. Meet at 9:00 near the trail head. We'll be back by noon. Please bring water, gloves, a sense of humor, and suitable footware. (Muck Boots are a plus). You will be required to complete and sign a waiver for 2022. Trail tools will be available. Wharton Volunteer Trail Maintenance is done under the supervision of Wharton staff.
If one shows up with muck boots is that person than volunteering to be the person that goes ito the water? Kinda like the guy who shows up with a wheelbarrow for everyone else to use?

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
If one shows up with muck boots is that person than volunteering to be the person that goes ito the water? Kinda like the guy who shows up with a wheelbarrow for everyone else to use?
The edge of the creek is mucky. Hence the muck boots. We should be able to get it done w/o going into the water. But if you want to go into the creek. You will need hip waders. Or maybe a dry suit. And take care to step carefully around the deep hole.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
A BIG THANK YOU to KenS (the other KenS), Bill, JohnE, and KatanaBoy for their work yesterday!

Attachments

• tempImageh1wB8u.png
    tempImageh1wB8u.png
    1 MB · Views: 98

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
If anyone is asking about the Batsto Village Visitor Center. The Visitor Center's front doors, along with the rest rooms and musuem behind the front doors, remains closed. The Visitor Center's gift shop around back, has recently reopened, with all its usual stock of books, calendars, shirts, and stickers. A cool looking, relatively new, WSF sticker is now available for purchase too.

tempImageX1BPuy.png

Last edited:

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Big thanks to David, Frank, RickC, and Jim (everyone in sNJ knows Jim) for their recent trail clearing work!

We've handed out our new JORBA-Wharton Chapter hoodies to all of this year's volunteers. Except for @sandman , @moray42 , and maybe one or two others. DM us for a drop-off guys!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.10.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-24 at 10.10.24 AM.png
    437.1 KB · Views: 74

sandman

Big thanks to David, Frank, RickC, and Jim (everyone in sNJ knows Jim) for their recent trail clearing work!

We've handed out our new JORBA-Wharton Chapter hoodies to all of this year's volunteers. Except for @sandma
[/QUOTE]

We've handed out our new JORBA-Wharton Chapter hoodies to all of this year's volunteers. Except for @sandman , @moray42 , and maybe one or two others. DM us for a drop-off guys!
So on Strava, I took on a 50K challenge for April. With only 2 Saturdays left, and I was sick last Saturday, maybe I should get this done. Thinking Batsto, "is the place I like to be", off I went with my old KHS Solo One, fixed gear, 1.95 x 26 tires. I used just about every inch of all the trails. I thought the place was clean. Too clean for my normal riding, but for my mission, it was perfect. Good job to the trail crew. Not sure I'm deserving of this award. BTW, not a big fan of Strava segments, and man, Batsto has a lot of them.
20210701_201552.JPG

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
The ticks are now active. The ferns have started to grow. Spray up or better yet, spray up and go explore the WSF sand roads.

Full MTB trail maintenance will resume in late summer. The 2022/2023 JORBA-WSF Fall/Winter trail work schedule will be posted soon.

A list of the needed lumber to repair the burnt bridge has been submitted. If the water levels remain low. We'll then help with repairs when the lumber arrives.

Thanks

Last edited:

pibbles

Anyone else hear about this?

Saw this earlier in the week would be more informative if they said where on the batona trail he was spotted..earlier reports said bass river was a favorite spot and carranza memorial for some panhandling, maybe try some unlocked unattended vehicles, carry bear spray, pay attention on the trails and be careful who you stop for...

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
Saw this earlier in the week would be more informative if they said where on the batona trail he was spotted..earlier reports said bass river was a favorite spot and carranza memorial for some panhandling, maybe try some unlocked unattended vehicles, carry bear spray, pay attention on the trails and be careful who you stop for...
Mr. Blackson was caught last Saturday in the Lindenwald PATCO Station by Port Authority Police.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA.ORG
From the NJ Forest Fire Service Facebook page...
Batsto Village and all associated hiking and MTB trails are closed due to an ongoing fire. Sections of rt. 206 and rt. 542 are closed.

"The New Jersey Forest Fire Service continues to fight a wildfire fueled by dry and breezy conditions in Wharton State Forest - Washington, Shamong, Hammonton & Mullica Townships - which has reached 2,100 acres in size and is 20% contained.
Forest Fire Service crews continue to conduct a backfiring operation to aid in containment.
ROAD CLOSURES
⚠️
Route 206 – from Chew Road to Stokes Road (beginning 12 a.m.)
⚠️
Route 542 – from Green Bank Road to Columbia Road
Batsto Village and all associated hiking and mountain bike trails are closed to visitors. The Mullica River Campground, Mullica River Trail and boat launches along the Mullica River are closed from the Atsion Recreation Area to Batsto Village. These closures will remain in effect until further notice. Pinelands Adventures has suspended kayak and canoe trips. The Paradise Lakes Campground has been evacuated.
"

pibbles

From the NJ Forest Fire Service Facebook page...
Batsto Village and all associated hiking and MTB trails are closed due to an ongoing fire. Sections of rt. 206 and rt. 542 are closed.

"The New Jersey Forest Fire Service continues to fight a wildfire fueled by dry and breezy conditions in Wharton State Forest - Washington, Shamong, Hammonton & Mullica Townships - which has reached 2,100 acres in size and is 20% contained.
Forest Fire Service crews continue to conduct a backfiring operation to aid in containment.
ROAD CLOSURES
⚠️
Route 206 – from Chew Road to Stokes Road (beginning 12 a.m.)
⚠️
Route 542 – from Green Bank Road to Columbia Road
Batsto Village and all associated hiking and mountain bike trails are closed to visitors. The Mullica River Campground, Mullica River Trail and boat launches along the Mullica River are closed from the Atsion Recreation Area to Batsto Village. These closures will remain in effect until further notice. Pinelands Adventures has suspended kayak and canoe trips. The Paradise Lakes Campground has been evacuated.
"
Crap. Hopefully they nip this kinda quick....

Ronnie B

I was camping at Lower Forge, it's a primitive campground that is tough to get to. Saturday morning we woke up to huge gusts of wind, so much so I was getting worried about widow makers, and this wind continued into Sunday morning, we packed up and headed out early because my buddy promised his kid he would be home early for Father's Day, as we're driving out we saw brush trucks and a ranger racing past us with their lights on, we're like ohhhhh boy that's not good. It wasn't until later did we find out bad it was.

The yellow arrow is where we camped and this is where the fire has breached so far today. The only road out of there is Washington Quaker Bridge Rd which some of the fire has hit.

287205776_922166815846041_1239785850323120916_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
NJStateParklogo

Wharton State Forest Trails Status​

wharton1

As you probably have heard, Wharton State Forest was severely impacted earlier this week by a wildfire that was started by an illegal campfire set along the Mullica River. As a result, all recreational trails along the Mullica and Batsto Rivers between Atsion and Batsto Village are closed indefinitely. This includes all hiking and mountain biking trails. In addition, the Mullica and Batsto Rivers are also closed in this area as is the Mullica River Campground.
In order for these trails and rivers to reopen to recreation, State Park Service personnel and volunteers must inspect them for hazards like downed trees and trees in danger of falling and remediate the hazards. In addition, many of the trail markings and signs were destroyed by the fire and will need to be repainted or replaced.
We're working now to get these trails inspected, remediated and open again to the public. When they are ready for recreation, we'll let you know.
Until the trails reopen, stay safe and stay off the trails.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions