Wharton Conditions

Lou P74

Hi. Never been to wharton trail. Is it easy to navigate the big loop? And is a gravel bike ok to use there? Hoping to check it out there soon. Thanks!!

JDurk

Hi. Never been to wharton trail. Is it easy to navigate the big loop? And is a gravel bike ok to use there? Hoping to check it out there soon. Thanks!!
Well marked and very easy to follow. Trailmap at the trailhead in the Batsto lot is very helpful. Gravel bike will work, but a mtb is the best tool for the job.

Karate Monkey

Well marked and very easy to follow. Trailmap at the trailhead in the Batsto lot is very helpful. Gravel bike will work, but a mtb is the best tool for the job.

I've seen people motoring along [passed me with 11mph average] on 40-ish tires, and can't imagine doing it, myself--tons of surface irregularities too large for little tires to keep from beating you up. I would think you would have more fun riding the sand roads on such a bike, and man, are there a lot of them.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=14/39.6909/-74.6306 (dashed, not red-dotted lines--note that the Batona trail is not only off limits to bikes, but you WILL get caught/cited using it).

That said, it is an excellently maintained trail system, and if you are okay with going slower on your 'skinny' tires, it is a pleasant ride that doesn't hurt.

krink

Eddie Munster
note that the Batona trail is not only off limits to bikes, but you WILL get caught/cited using it).
Looks like there are ridable trails that parallel Batona most of the way between Wharton and Brendan T Byrne State Forest. Anyone ever stitched together a ride through the entire area?

sandman

Looks like there are ridable trails that parallel Batona most of the way between Wharton and Brendan T Byrne State Forest. Anyone ever stitched together a ride through the entire area?
I have, but not on the BATONA. Don't need it.

sandman

What bike did you use? gravel or MTB?
Fat bike, single speed, fixed. FB_IMG_1603636128318.jpg20201219_122358.jpg

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
The Christmas Eve wind storm blew down a lot of stuff in the forest fire sections. A big thanks to all that have been dragging limb litter off of the trails. It makes the trail clearing of big items go much faster. Much thanks to the following for clearing the big items: DaveP and JimC for on the Huckleberry Trail; DaveP chopping the big items from the full length of the Oak Hill Trail; and JimC, JohnD, RickC for taking care of all the fallen trees on the Teaberry Trail (pictured). The red, white and blue MTB trails are good riding again thanks to these folks!

01218577-663B-4AAD-88C9-C032B941B14A.jpeg

carvegybe

The Christmas Eve wind storm blew down a lot of stuff in the forest fire sections. A big thanks to all that have been dragging limb litter off of the trails. It makes the trail clearing of big items go much faster. Much thanks to the following for clearing the big items: DaveP and JimC for on the Huckleberry Trail; DaveP chopping the big items from the full length of the Oak Hill Trail; and JimC, JohnD, RickC for taking care of all the fallen trees on the Teaberry Trail (pictured). The red, white and blue MTB trails are good riding again thanks to these folks!

View attachment 149438
Thank you!

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I'm sure the locals will reply, but check this. https://weatherstreet.com/city_snow_depth/08037-Hammonton-NJ-snow-depth.htm

Warm up, rain and freeze/thaw forecast for the next few days though.
Snow on the ground. TWC weekend forecast shows freeze/thaw happening this weekend. Ride early when its frozen. You'll need to deal with snow loaded pine saplings leaning into the trail and probably several more new storm blowdowns.

Riding the sand roads is a good option for winter milage. Just because of those leaning pine saplings.

If you find yourself riding in a thawing sand slurry, please do not ride the trail. Riding in a thawing sand slurry erodes the trail and creates more soft sugar sand. Please ride the sand roads instead. Thanks!

Last edited:

choop

Snow on the ground. TWC weekend shows freeze/thaw happening this weekend. Ride early when its frozen. You'll need to deal with snow loaded pine saplings leaning into the trail and probably several more new storm blowdowns.

Riding the sand roads is a good option for winter milage. Just because of those leaning pine saplings.

If you find yourself riding in a thawing sand slurry, please do not ride the trail. Riding in a thawing sand slurry erodes the trail and creates more soft sugar sand. Please ride the sand roads instead.
Thanks

Karate Monkey

Riding the sand roads is a good option for winter milage. Just because of those leaning pine saplings

This warning sounds cryptic. It's not.

It was an acquaintance of mine who studied forestry who pointed out that there are two broad categories of pines that translate to armed/unarmed (referring to whether they have smooth/pointy shoots).

Guess which one predominates in Wharton?

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions