Weird bikes, bike innovation and bike contraptions

Not sure if this qualifies as weird, but…
D06E5152-D5F7-4C44-8AB4-F0D59E968ECD.jpeg
IIRC this shaft drive example was pre-WW I. Saw at Jacktown engine show a few years back. Pretty sure it was an FN (Belgium).

Not sure if this qualifies as weird, but…View attachment 202121IIRC this shaft drive example was pre-WW I. Saw at Jacktown engine show a few years back. Pretty sure it was an FN (Belgium).

They have a reputation of being kind of wallow-y in the rear end if you gun it, but otherwise deliver the goods. Always interesting to see old machinery like that made on manual machining tools--I've got a coaster brake hub that's pushing it's 9th decade.

BTW, if you get misty-eyed, Ghisallo still makes wooden rims in the traditional style. Maybe @serviceguy can run them back from Italy 😃

I didn't know about that Suntour 3-pulley derailleur until I read the PB article comments. I kinda want one for a future retro build when I finally stumble across a Head 600 E-stay bike.

Surprised this thing hasn't shown up here yet:

edit: didn't see the other thread, but it definitely belongs here.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Their pro cyclist isn't too pro eh?
Or is the fan slowing the bike rather than propelling it?

I think that fan blade is inefficient. You can clearly see the original one has a better shape for pushing air, the recreation has a significant amount of the blade flattened out(for lack of the proper engineering term). Looks more like the governor on a wind up music box than a propeller.

”Glastonbury Zodiac” great name

Pedal backwards with friction against the tire tread?
Your idea is more interesting but the pic looks like an unfinished version of this bike

Back
Top Bottom