Waywayanda H2H #8

Are you still going today to preride the course??
I am planning on going up as well. But i preffer not to be in the woods by myself.... I would hate it if a bear eats me and no one gets to witness it...:cry:
First mountain bike race for me(did a xterra tri in July, but the mountain biking was very tame) Really looking forward to this, not sure what to expect.

Anyone have any idea when we can expect the course to be posted? I am taking Friday off to preride, hope its up by then.

I am planning on going up as well. But i preffer not to be in the woods by myself.... I would hate it if a bear eats me and no one gets to witness it...:cry:

Yes, I am tentative for 12:30, I am meeting a friend there as well. I will keep you posted if the time changes(will firm up before 9am). Parking by the furnace, will be in a blue honda fit riding giant anthem. We have planned to do two laps, one to get the feel for it at a beginner pace, no drops. The 2nd we would all go at our own race pace, ie we will not wait for each other on the course but will wait for the other to complete the loop before leaving for the day. Stay tuned...

One other thing, I'm pretty slow, so I will act as the bear bait.

Good....

I have been riding my 29er HT and wanted to try my fully Anthem today...;)

I also want to check the lines well on the 1st lap then all out on the second lap....

I may be there earlier, i'm in a green SUBARU TRIBECA. With a rear hitch rack. And a orange/white Giant/Anthem

Yes, I am tentative for 12:30, I am meeting a friend there as well. I will keep you posted if the time changes(will firm up before 9am). Parking by the furnace, will be in a blue honda fit riding giant anthem. We have planned to do two laps, one to get the feel for it at a beginner pace, no drops. The 2nd we would all go at our own race pace, ie we will not wait for each other on the course but will wait for the other to complete the loop before leaving for the day. Stay tuned...

12:30 it is. Hope to see you there.

12:30 it is. Hope to see you there.

Juan,

Work just screwed up my plans, looks like I will not be able to make 12:30. I may not even make it at all, at best its looking like 2ish now. Apparently I cant take full days off.

Anyone coming thru Warwick, might wanna find another way home. Its applefest weekend. they get upwards to 30,000 people going to it. Traffic nightmare

SS gearing advice for Wawayanda tomorrow

Very little chance I can make it tomorrow BUT there is a chance so I want to be ready just in case. I'd welcome any advice on gearing for SS (I haven't been in Waway since the first race this year and I did that with gears). If I go, I will be doing my first Cat 1 race so I need to factor in the 3rd lap.

I know SS gearing depends on each person and riding style but it would help if you can tell me what would you run vs. what you ran at other places, like Blue or KVSP. I was thinking 32-19, that's what I ran at Blue and Jungle (I ran 32-18 at KVSP).

Thanks!

I'd welcome any advice on gearing for SS (I haven't been in Waway since the first race this year and I did that with gears). If I go, I will be doing my first Cat 1 race so I need to factor in the 3rd lap.

I know SS gearing depends on each person and riding style but it would help if you can tell me what would you run vs. what you ran at other places, like Blue or KVSP. I was thinking 32-19, that's what I ran at Blue and Jungle (I ran 32-18 at KVSP).

Thanks!

Two...ha ha, I rode RL's Niner there Tuesday; 32x20. It was good for most of the course, considering I don't race or ride SS! 32x19 should be good for you. Good luck!

Pampa;355567 If I go said:
Segundo, congratulations on another excellent race year. Though I don't own a ss, my thinking is that an additional lap shouldn't influence your gearing. You should consider that the course is going to be a mudfest, lots of hike a bike on the rocky sections and a slow slog through the fireroad bits.

Don't hold back at the start in an attempt to save something for the third lap, let it rip just like you've been doing all year.

Very little chance I can make it tomorrow BUT there is a chance so I want to be ready just in case. I'd welcome any advice on gearing for SS (I haven't been in Waway since the first race this year and I did that with gears). If I go, I will be doing my first Cat 1 race so I need to factor in the 3rd lap.

Thanks!

You want in with the big boys then you need to be geared with the big boys ask Monte what he will be running. I bet 34x16 or something so go with your smallest chain length and see where you fall...

Two...ha ha, I rode RL's Niner there Tuesday; 32x20. It was good for most of the course, considering I don't race or ride SS! 32x19 should be good for you. Good luck!

Thank you Andy!

Segundo, congratulations on another excellent race year. Though I don't own a ss, my thinking is that an additional lap shouldn't influence your gearing. You should consider that the course is going to be a mudfest, lots of hike a bike on the rocky sections and a slow slog through the fireroad bits.

Don't hold back at the start in an attempt to save something for the third lap, let it rip just like you've been doing all year.

Thank you Dave, that's how I'll approach it (if I go).

You want in with the big boys then you need to be geared with the big boys ask Monte what he will be running. I bet 34x16 or something so go with your smallest chain length and see where you fall...

Matty, I'm a spinner! I just don't have the power to push those big gears now, so no sense in burning myself down. Last week I tried 34-18 in the white loop at DP and had to walk two hills. Maybe after training this winter...

didn't you run 32x19 for mooch madness? I'm thinking this will be good for wayway. You killed it at mooch.

i heard they switched the venue up due to rain.
we haul ass from the front gate to the beach(on our bikes of course) then swim out a 1/4 mile and back to beach , hop on our bikes and race back to the gate. once on the other side of gate you have to chug a pitcher of beer...warm genesee cream ale. no drinking on state park lands so you must be outside the gate and you have to keep the genesee down for 3 minutes. DFL cleans up the mess outside the gate.

didn't you run 32x19 for mooch madness? I'm thinking this will be good for wayway. You killed it at mooch.

i heard they switched the venue up due to rain.
we haul ass from the front gate to the beach(on our bikes of course) then swim out a 1/4 mile and back to beach , hop on our bikes and race back to the gate. once on the other side of gate you have to chug a pitcher of beer...warm genesee cream ale. no drinking on state park lands so you must be outside the gate and you have to keep the genesee down for 3 minutes. DFL cleans up the mess outside the gate.

C- this might be your best idea yet.

Good day.........

[/ATTACH]

What a mudfest.........:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 2011-10-02_13-44-50_558.jpg
    2011-10-02_13-44-50_558.jpg
    388.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 2011-10-02_13-35-45_76.jpg
    2011-10-02_13-35-45_76.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 160
What were you wearing on the podium?

i know what you were not wearing...colorful socks
congrats!

Course was very muddy, everyone had brake issues, shifter issues, mud in eyes issues...
They removed the new stuff at wayway due to the mud. Even though the course was a mile shorter lap times were still the same, the mud slowed you down.

still always fun to race here. the course was half technical and half double track & fire road. But even the fire roads were sketchy in spots, the mud was so thick it grabbed your front tire making steering an issue.

Back
Top Bottom