Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
cleared the rose whips off iron mountain and old wawayanda road as a loop from the park road to the furnace.

There is a tree down on Mines Trail. biggun.

Patrick

Staff member
Hey @Kaleidopete - other than a sign that fell out of the trailer on wingdam -
did you see anything we needed to do better for clean-up????

Couple things i didn't like - which we addressed post race. Otherwise it didn't seem as disruptive as the national event.

Kaleidopete

Hey @Kaleidopete - other than a sign that fell out of the trailer on wingdam -
did you see anything we needed to do better for clean-up????

Couple things i didn't like - which we addressed post race. Otherwise it didn't seem as disruptive as the national event.
Everything looks pretty good, I don't ride the Pines or Tombstone's area much so I don't know about out there. Everything where I ride looks OK. I'm surprised the Mines trail and Plummet and Winch were included in the race. Those trails don't get much traffic. I fixed up Mines a little yesterday, it has a swamp spot around the big tree that is always there. Nice clean up on your part, Thanks! Example, Mines has had 13 rides in six months. ps, still waiting for that other thread you were starting
Dsc08227.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
I didn't like the low side go-around. then the rain didn't help.
Personally i would have just stayed on the roads, (i didn't see this until i did a race day sweep)
people were hating this on gravel bikes....

Thanks for chipping in. I'll get to the marking thread after I get a the stories from athletes who went off course during the race.

Kaleidopete

I didn't like the low side go-around. then the rain didn't help.
Personally i would have just stayed on the roads, (i didn't see this until i did a race day sweep)
people were hating this on gravel bikes....

Thanks for chipping in. I'll get to the marking thread after I get a the stories from athletes who went off course during the race.
Did ya ever ride a trail one way and see stuff,
and then ride the same trail back to where ya started and see different stuff?
Dsc08237.jpg

Drop it off at next years race?

Kaleidopete

Anyone riding Wayway lately, lots of bear activity, at least where I ride Iron Mountain area.
Saw four this morning, three kinda skittish, one cranky. You can tell when to retreat, this one
looks like 600 lbs. plus. That big and old they know they don't have to move. I snapped a picture
and saw it was still coming at me, so I retreated about 100 feet and waited a minute. It was still
coming. Head down, tongue out, and fur up on it's back. I retreated another 100 feet and waited
another minute. Slowly I crept, step by step, forward towards Brer bear. I guess it stepped off trail
and so I zoomed by.
Dsc08329.jpg

sundaydoug

Anyone riding Wayway lately, lots of bear activity, at least where I ride Iron Mountain area.
Saw four this morning, three kinda skittish, one cranky. You can tell when to retreat, this one
looks like 600 lbs. plus. That big and old they know they don't have to move. I snapped a picture
and saw it was still coming at me, so I retreated about 100 feet and waited a minute. It was still
coming. Head down, tongue out, and fur up on it's back. I retreated another 100 feet and waited
another minute. Slowly I crept, step by step, forward towards Brer bear. I guess it stepped off trail
and so I zoomed by.
View attachment 186074
That guy is big! I've seen a few adolescents around recently, I was running into the same one on Banker trail for a while. Last week I saw two little guys over off of Ferber Lane. Love seeing those guys when I'm out riding.

JerseyPete

and so I zoomed by.
View attachment 186074
Ever have them do that thing where they jog a little and stomp their feet? A bit unnerving to say the least.

Patrick

Staff member
and so I zoomed by.
View attachment 186074

Which side of the park road?
Trying to not get my athletes eaten on Wednesday.

trekfan

two stupid trees still down on red dot. park is very dry but nature jim's bridge is almost completely underwater. thanks fkn beavers. mojo is about as overgrown as i've ever seen it. heading towards the pipeline you have a good 8 inch strip of dirt and thick brush on either side. south end is looking great, so is pumphouse

Patrick

Staff member
two stupid trees still down on red dot. park is very dry but nature jim's bridge is almost completely underwater. thanks fkn beavers. mojo is about as overgrown as i've ever seen it. heading towards the pipeline you have a good 8 inch strip of dirt and thick brush on either side. south end is looking great, so is pumphouse

Pete can report the trees. I took care of a few a while back over there.

You have permission to trim back encroaching vegetation anytime

trekfan

Pete can report the trees. I took care of a few a while back over there.

You have permission to trim back encroaching vegetation
i'm just reporting conditions as the thread indicates. i do plenty of maintenance in this park but sadly i don't typically ride with my hedge trimmer or brush cutters. anyway if the park staff don't care, i don't care, just calling them as i see them

Patrick

Staff member
i'm just reporting conditions as the thread indicates. i do plenty of maintenance in this park but sadly i don't typically ride with my hedge trimmer or brush cutters. anyway if the park staff don't care, i don't care, just calling them as i see them

Please reach out to @jeffstick about joining up or leading a tm effort.

I agree that riding and tm are separate activities.

Perhaps your agressive wording, assuming that there are paid people taking care of the trails threw me. It is all volunteer. The park will take care of obstructions on the roads.

trekfan

Please reach out to @jeffstick about joining up or leading a tm effort.

I agree that riding and tm are separate activities.

Perhaps your agressive wording, assuming that there are paid people taking care of the trails threw me. It is all volunteer. The park will take care of obstructions on the roads.
Aggressive wording? I was reporting conditions man, nothing more nothing less. The only aggressive wording in that report was cursing at the beavers, and I stand by that wording. They suck.

Anyway, whatever. If you ride there, those are the issues on red dot, mojo, south end and pumphouse as of 6/29/22

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions