Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Skunkape

Trails are running smooth and fast, the rare dry tire day in summer.
Park full to capacity by 9 with the usual clientele.
Happy birthday, America!

Will

Aggressive wording? I was reporting conditions man, nothing more nothing less. The only aggressive wording in that report was cursing at the beavers, and I stand by that wording. They suck.

Anyway, whatever. If you ride there, those are the issues on red dot, mojo, south end and pumphouse as of 6/29/22
don't let them bother you, a lot of sensitive people on this site...the black bear race course gets a once over before the race and that's about it for organized TM in Wawayanda. most big trees on other trails get cleared ad hoc by non Jorba type efforts but it takes time and it's risky. seems it's always been done that way in Wawayanda. there really is no Jorba effort there.

V-Dub

don't let them bother you, a lot of sensitive people on this site...the black bear race course gets a once over before the race and that's about it for organized TM in Wawayanda. most big trees on other trails get cleared ad hoc by non Jorba type efforts but it takes time and it's risky. seems it's always been done that way in Wawayanda. there really is no Jorba effort there.
Are sure "there really is no Jorba effort there" ? You may want to fact check that

onetracker

is what it is bud. unless you'd like to make a case
I actually stopped responding to these posts but what the heck. Every year some guy posts up his dissatisfaction on TM efforts at Wayway. Black Bear does the best we can based on our available manpower. Happy to have help from folks using handsaws. Big thanks to those who are local and help out. I will say this again: we will never clear or maintain trails like The Wall, Gravity and the trails out that way as instructed by the park.

To my knowledge there is a tree down on Sitting Bear and some weed whacking that needs to be done. Also, we have a submitted a new trail for approval and some old trails to be formally adopted.

I am sure there will be some remaining dissatisfaction but that is nothing new. Remember these are volunteers who are being criticized. Just sayin’

mtbiker87

As a long time Vernon resident and Wayway regular I'd like to thank @onetracker, @V-Dub , @jeffstick , Black Bear, Jorba, NJNY trail conference for their efforts in maintaining the trails. And a really big thanks to the "unaffiliated" riders ( I'll include myself in this group), especially @Kaleidopete, who take time out their own rides to pitch in whenever they come across something missed, or yet to be attended to, by the above mentioned people or organizations.
Waywayanda is a big park. It's my understanding that the park is responsible for the major blowdowns, and erosion related issues on the double track/fireroads, that would impead emergency, and park police/maintience type vehicles. That leaves a lot of ground to cover for the volunteer organizations.
I, for one, would rather spend my energy helping to clear, or remediate trail damage if it's something within my ability to do so safely, than to use it to complain about the efforts being put in by others. We aren't talking about Mountain Creek here, with a paid trail crew, and quite honestly they don't do a much better job. Quickest way to fix the problem is to shut up, and cut, trim, or dig, rather than expect someone else to do it for you.
As far as the Ragnar, and other event parafinalia found around the park ? I'm with ya !! But this is the responsibility of the organization holding the events, and the park management holding them accountable. That is not a JORBA issue, and seems to vary depending on the event promotor as to how well the clean up gets done.Like everything, success is a balance. Park getting revenue is a good thing, the litter and trail damage that happens in the process ...not so much. Current times as they are, the park seems more interested in taking the money, regardless of the integrity of the promotors. That sucks. But not sure how ya fix that. But what ya can do is give the guys doing the work a break, and maybe even help out yourself.

chris12453

@onetracker you peaked my interest with the new trail. Wayway is my home park, sadly I live in Mahwah now, so I ride a bit more of the ringwood/sterling trails. However, with that said, my mom still lives 2 miles from Wayway, would be down to help cut that new trail in. Love seeing new stuff added there. Is it too early in the process to ask where this trail may go?

jeffstick

JORBA: Waywayanda
JORBA.ORG
@onetracker you peaked my interest with the new trail. Wayway is my home park, sadly I live in Mahwah now, so I ride a bit more of the ringwood/sterling trails. However, with that said, my mom still lives 2 miles from Wayway, would be down to help cut that new trail in. Love seeing new stuff added there. Is it too early in the process to ask where this trail may go?
A bit too early in the process it has been submitted to the State and sent to Trenton. Pending final approval from the State.

onetracker

Sorry for the delayed response. Would appreciate your help once we get approval. We will post TM/TB days hopefully for this build in the fall.

Kaleidopete

Trails are great, new signage is up for the lake loop trails to make things easier.

Dsc08766.jpg

Will

I actually stopped responding to these posts but what the heck. Every year some guy posts up his dissatisfaction on TM efforts at Wayway. Black Bear does the best we can based on our available manpower. Happy to have help from folks using handsaws. Big thanks to those who are local and help out. I will say this again: we will never clear or maintain trails like The Wall, Gravity and the trails out that way as instructed by the park.

To my knowledge there is a tree down on Sitting Bear and some weed whacking that needs to be done. Also, we have a submitted a new trail for approval and some old trails to be formally adopted.

I am sure there will be some remaining dissatisfaction but that is nothing new. Remember these are volunteers who are being criticized. Just sayin’
3 trees down on red dot, all year. maybe before the next race you'll get to it

Last edited:

chris12453

I ride the park quite a bit as I live close. If that is the only complaint, then that tells me a lot has been taken care of. There have been trees down all over the place and most everything has been cleared. I am not too sure how much red dot is ridden these days to be honest. Not one of the go to trails when putting a big ride together. More of a shortcut than anything else. Perhaps I will survey that later this morning, but my ride is going to be more of the outer trails back to gravity and some of the unsanctioned trails (yes I said it).

Skunkape

Trails are dry and loose. Fast and on the edge of out of control. Horse flies and mosquitoes are gone but the bees are on a rampage. One sting on the first steep climb on twin bridge coming from red dot so must be a ground nest there. Then nearly ran into a bear raiding a nest right at the boulder punch on the mojo lookout connector. Literally did not see him there until I was a few feet away. He yelled something and took off and l rode straight through the defensive swarm. Four more stings and a slightly nervous ride back in awaiting the first signs of a reaction.

chris12453

I didn't see too much while out. Most down trees I saw are on Gravity (3 within 50 feet and that was about it) and Wildcat. Since those trails are not legit park trails, can't complain about it. Be careful when coming from Hemlock and Load and crossing to Pickle. Those sinkholes on the lake side and the woods side are a little bit bigger now. However with the weeds down, you can see them. I know @onetracker and @jeffstick are aware, but for everyone else, tall grass on pipeline between tombstone and rattlesnack and to the entrance to pines.

onetracker

I didn't see too much while out. Most down trees I saw are on Gravity (3 within 50 feet and that was about it) and Wildcat. Since those trails are not legit park trails, can't complain about it. Be careful when coming from Hemlock and Load and crossing to Pickle. Those sinkholes on the lake side and the woods side are a little bit bigger now. However with the weeds down, you can see them. I know @onetracker and @jeffstick are aware, but for everyone else, tall grass on pipeline between tombstone and rattlesnack and to the entrance to pines.
We are aware of the current trees down and appreciate folks letting us know when new stuff falls. Most of the trees that are down that I have encountered are rideable IMO without widening the trail so we have not been in a big hurry. I will get out to do some trimming in the near future except for Twin Bridges (pretty allergic to bee stings and I did not think it was too bad when I rode it last week). Thanks to @Skunkape for the intel; sorry you got stung.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions