Wawayanda State Park Conditions

it's the trail before the thirsty dog out and back. supposedly one of the "illegal" trails like splitrock hence black bear/jorba doesn't do any maintenance on it when trees are down, not that they do maintenace anywhere really. interesting ragnar was racing on it.
I was actually out doing TM last Friday and we try to keep folks rolling at Wayway. I was not aware that any trails are impassable (except the high water on Pumphouse which was caused by water going over a dam) or overgrown.

It is true BB does not maintain the “illegal” trails by direction from the park. You will not hurt our feelings if you ride with a handsaw and help out (if you already help out, Thanks).

@onetracker out of curiosity, has the park (or maybe the State is the actual answer) ever been approached about allowing the construction of a bridge on that section of pump house? I haven't ridden up through that section much this year (tend stay on the back side more often than not) but it does seem to me that it has been flooded most of the year?

I can answer the pumphouse question regarding the bridge. A bridge out there is a sizable project and anything other than what is there such As a structure type bridge would require the park to get permits, engineering and so on from Trenton even though the park is an extension of trenton.
When the rock bridge was built about 10 years ago it worked for what it was intended for which was mountain biking, a few hikers and we ran one race over it a year. Each year we did a bit of work on it and it held up. Now with several trail running events going out that way along with more hiking it gets literally ran into the water. One fix could be a wider base to the bridge much like nature Jim’s on red dot. Although the flooding in the pumphouse bridge is unpredictable due to the water coming from some of the local lakes and it flows more water than the red dot area.

@jeffstick completely understand. I was asking because by trade I am an engineer and my brain started turning. I had been seeing obviously the work being done in other parks that have similar projects albeit not as long perhaps as pump house when it comes to bridges. I am however extremely familiar with the permitting aspect that these parks have gone through and the process of working with the DEP. I happened to be licensed with the DEP so I understand all of the Trenton inter workings. The flooding for sure is unpredictable, but I do agree with widening the base. Even when flooded, it could then still be ridden. My mom still lives around the corner from Wayway. I don't ride there everyday like I used to, but I would certainly be interested in lending a hand in fixing that section up however it was deemed appropriate. I can't speak for everyone, but I enjoy riding through that section so I don't have to double back on my big 25-30 loops. Thought this might be a good time to have the conversation. See what can and can't be done if you know what I mean.

I enjoy that section as well, and it'd be awesome to be able to ride it more consistently throughout the year. Even if the current rock was widened slightly, and raised up a bit higher, maybe an extra tube or two added to handle the times of increased water flow, it wouldn't become unrideable. As a local, who frequently rides there, I'd certainly do what I could to help with the project , and I know several others who I'm sure would lend a hand as well.

@jeffstick completely understand. I was asking because by trade I am an engineer and my brain started turning. I had been seeing obviously the work being done in other parks that have similar projects albeit not as long perhaps as pump house when it comes to bridges. I am however extremely familiar with the permitting aspect that these parks have gone through and the process of working with the DEP. I happened to be licensed with the DEP so I understand all of the Trenton inter workings. The flooding for sure is unpredictable, but I do agree with widening the base. Even when flooded, it could then still be ridden. My mom still lives around the corner from Wayway. I don't ride there everyday like I used to, but I would certainly be interested in lending a hand in fixing that section up however it was deemed appropriate. I can't speak for everyone, but I enjoy riding through that section so I don't have to double back on my big 25-30 loops. Thought this might be a good time to have the conversation. See what can and can't be done if you know what I mean.
Chris, Sounds like you have all the credentials to spearhead this project.

If you like to forage (@soundz) - the hickory nuts are sitting on the ground in the area across from the horse trailer parking, Easy pickings for a calorie rich treat. bring a hammer to open them - and a pick to extract the meat.

If you like to forage (@soundz) - the hickory nuts are sitting on the ground in the area across from the horse trailer parking, Easy pickings for a calorie rich treat. bring a hammer to open them - and a pick to extract the meat.
I have a few trees in my backyard 😆

1B755643-45B0-4AFF-866F-76505872EB1D.jpeg

Great clean up job after the race Sunday! I know they left this one flag, just to see if I was paying attention today!
View attachment 171539

Can't get good help!😉
Thanks for stopping to say hello, and sweeping. I forgot your "beverage". Will get you next time.

I'm still not sure the area across from equestrian parking is clear. I'll probably come up and ride Saturday to check again.

Started at Cherry Ridge yesterday. Most trails were in good shape and leaf covered. Usual spots soft and some mud. Few trees down on Gravity.

Saw a big bear running away from us on Double Pond. Then two siblings on Barker near lot.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions