Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Kaleidopete

The Doublepond boardwalk is now doable with only an inch of water,
but watch out for the logs placed there by the park to weigh it down.
Dsc07120.jpg

Dsc07121.jpg

Last edited:

Will

A heads up if you're planning to ride.
Today and tomorrow 9/25-26, there is a 24 hour marathon foot race.
25,50,100 mile race with a 30 hour cutoff time. So the trails could be busy.
About 150 people entered.

Next weekend is Ragnar, another 24 hour foot race which draws a large crowd.
nice of Ragnar to leave their flags all over flounder pond and some other trails

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
nice of Ragnar to leave their flags all over flounder pond and some other trails

Probably too late, but...

Please report to park. They will call the race director, race director will take care of it.

I've marked/worked a bunch of events up there, and we do our best not to miss anything, but it happens.
We work with paid staff for that part of the event. If there is a mistake, there is a person that takes responsibility to fix it because they were paid to take care of it.

I have a couple events in November - I'll be on my fatbike, so if you see a fat old guy suffering with course markers - say hi!
think i have a cyclocross event, and an ultra-marathon.

gotta find a beer gift for Pete.

Last edited:

serviceguy

Probably too late, but...

Please report to park. They will call the race director, race director will take care of it.

I've marked/worked a bunch of events up there, and we do the best not to miss anything, but it happens.
We work with paid staff for that part of the event. If there is a mistake, there is a person that takes responsibility to fix it because they were paid to take care of it.

I have a couple events in November - I'll be on my fatbike, so if you see a fat old guy suffering with course markers - say hi!
think i have a cyclocross event, and an ultra-marathon.

gotta find a beer gift for Pete.
Are you going to graduate to an e-bike any time soon?

Skunkape

Can’t say I’m familiar with the area you speak of but there’s flags aplenty on tombstone, rattlesnake and t-dog. If these massive commercial events are allowed here, the organizers should try harder to leave no trace. Hopefully, they pay a lot in permit fees at least.

Patrick

Staff member

Watch for the other markings. Not sure if it is flagged, or a paint mark.

There is a running event Sunday -lap race with 3 distances. Dave marked them early this week with the permission of the park.
starting at the beach out to wing dam->sitting bear->south end->timber->cherry ridge->pump house

There are also some flags out for the CX race the following weekend. Those would all be contained to the beach/boat launch area.

Thanks for cleaning up the ragnar stuff. that is a big event. they should do better.

Kaleidopete

Watch for the other markings. Not sure if it is flagged, or a paint mark.

There is a running event Sunday -lap race with 3 distances. Dave marked them early this week with the permission of the park.
starting at the beach out to wing dam->sitting bear->south end->timber->cherry ridge->pump house

There are also some flags out for the CX race the following weekend. Those would all be contained to the beach/boat launch area.

Thanks for cleaning up the ragnar stuff. that is a big event. they should do better.
I see the red one there now, the ones I picked were blue with Ragnar names

Patrick

Staff member
Today's race has been moved off pumphouse, now returning from cherry ridge via twin bridges->red dot->double pond->beach

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
Pumphouse is flooded just south of the Wawayanda Road Bypass trail.
Some of the stepping stones are under 12" of water. (ask how I know)

Does Boulder Garden flood (it is hiking only, but if i didn't want to go wading, i'd walk my bike) ?

Cherry Ridge Road has a number of lakes on it.

The leaves on the trees (and trails) this late in the year is interesting.

Skunkape

Boulder garden is usually passable even when the rock bridge is submerged. There will be some hike a bike but most is rideable. Do the loop CCW to avoid late ride surprises.

onetracker

I was on BG on Sunday. You will need to hop from rock to rock if you do not want wet feet. We hiked due to the fact that the whole place is pretty soggy IMO.

Will

Can’t say I’m familiar with the area you speak of but there’s flags aplenty on tombstone, rattlesnake and t-dog. If these massive commercial events are allowed here, the organizers should try harder to leave no trace. Hopefully, they pay a lot in permit fees at least.
it's the trail before the thirsty dog out and back. supposedly one of the "illegal" trails like splitrock hence black bear/jorba doesn't do any maintenance on it when trees are down, not that they do maintenace anywhere really. interesting ragnar was racing on it.

Patrick

Staff member
it's the trail before the thirsty dog out and back. supposedly one of the "illegal" trails like splitrock hence black bear/jorba doesn't do any maintenance on it when trees are down, not that they do maintenace anywhere really. interesting ragnar was racing on it.

So you want to get more involved and lead some maintenance days?
Can hook you up with right people.

If there are ragnar flags out there, report it to the park. The ragnar people should come back and clean them up.
Minimally, there will be more pressure next year. So Pete needs to tell them he is cleaning them up.

If you see any Ready Set Go "run" signs out there, I will come up and clear them.
It was my job to sweep them up after last sunday's event, and while I want to get all of them,
I will take personal responsibility if i missed one and go out and get it.
course was beach area-> wingdam->sitting bear->south->timber->cherry ridge->twin(two?)->red dot->double pond -> beach
it was a reroute from cherry->pumphouse

There is a CX race this Sunday using the beach area, picnic area near the horse trailer parking, and fire pit area near the boat launch.
I'll be there working - probably where the course crosses the path to the boat launch, please stop by and say hello.
Easier to discuss concerns than write about them.

Joe J

Where do you get your information that BB & JORBA don't do any trail maintenance?

V-Dub

I'm with Joe, you may want to fact check that statement.
On another note little blue flags everywhere, I feel we're going to have to clean them up.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions