Wawayanda State Park Conditions

Eschmitt85

Nice riding with you today Erik!
I too did the Xterra TM & pre-ride, it really kicked my butt today. I rode better than usual though. (Peer pressure)
There were about 14 of us. Some trees/logs were removed from South End trail and the coarse should flow great now
It was a great group of riders, amazing skills and power. A big thanks to everyone!

View attachment 92325View attachment 92326View attachment 92327View attachment 92328
Great ride with awesome people. Definitely got my ass kicked on this one and learned a lot from everyone today. Special thanks to David for setting this all up! Conditions were great minus a few muddy soft sections.

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Trails were great today. Only issue is that the stream crossing at the end of spiltock is high and way over the rocks. no way across without getting a serious soaking. The gas line nearby is very wet too.

Kaleidopete

The park does have it's wet spots, but we're all set for Xterra tomorrow 5/18/2019 Good luck to everyone.

set up
Dsc02507.jpg

chris12453

How wet is wayway? I should know this, but I have been staying away even though I live so close. I have been limiting myself to jungle and mountain creek since everything has been sooooo wet.

Kaleidopete

How wet is wayway? I should know this, but I have been staying away even though I live so close. I have been limiting myself to jungle and mountain creek since everything has been sooooo wet.
Most trails are pretty good, some bad spots. Fire roads are a flooded mess

chris12453

hrmm, alright. Maybe I will roll the cross bike today and venture into some of the trails and see whats the deal. Give it another nice warm day to dry out a bit more and hit it with a mountain bike tomorrow after work I think

chris12453

Don't bother with double pond, it is still underwater. By underwater, I mean you can probably swim. I believe this is a result of the beaver dams and no place for the water to go. Unless some drainage work is done here during a trail maintenance, the trail will likely won't be able to be ridden for the foreseeable future (i.e. winter when it is ice). This had me actually ride in Hoeferlin as normal, but go back home Eagle to Hoeferlin which I will say is pretty cool in reverse direction. I never really do it that way, but I like it. Pump house bridge was also underwater yesterday afternoon at 4PM as well. I stayed park side for the most park yesterday, kinda just surveying what everything looked like and what the common foot traffic trails looked like. I would say if you are riding the park, stay to the cherry ridge/ferbers circle side. The fire roads are a mess as Kaleidopete said above. If you want to do some enduro, wingdam is good, but I will caution there is a tree down towards the bottom that you will have to hop over.

Kaleidopete

Don't bother with double pond, it is still underwater. By underwater, I mean you can probably swim. I believe this is a result of the beaver dams and no place for the water to go. Unless some drainage work is done here during a trail maintenance, the trail will likely won't be able to be ridden for the foreseeable future (i.e. winter when it is ice). This had me actually ride in Hoeferlin as normal, but go back home Eagle to Hoeferlin which I will say is pretty cool in reverse direction. I never really do it that way, but I like it. Pump house bridge was also underwater yesterday afternoon at 4PM as well. I stayed park side for the most park yesterday, kinda just surveying what everything looked like and what the common foot traffic trails looked like. I would say if you are riding the park, stay to the cherry ridge/ferbers circle side. The fire roads are a mess as Kaleidopete said above. If you want to do some enduro, wingdam is good, but I will caution there is a tree down towards the bottom that you will have to hop over.
Agree with all the above....and I did Wingdam today and saw that tree down, but I gotta say that ain't the only thing I gotta hop over.

Will

rode Monday from Ferbers, some muddy spots but also some great maintenance and armored sections getting through most of it. The only underwater section is the usual splitrock rock bridge near the power line and the power line itself.

chris12453

I have been skipping double pond on my rides home lately. Is it still completely underwater closer to Hoefferlin?

sundaydoug

We need to get out and address Double Pond. I am sure it is still quite wet.

Very wet. Double Pond between Plymouth and Cedar Swamp is still under water in the usual trouble spots. I've been riding there for 15 years and this is about the worst I've seen and that's after a week of basically no rain.

Yesterday I rode out of Plymouth and made a right to get over to Hoferlien thinking it wouldn't be too bad. Wrong. No water, but super duper mud.

chris12453

It was like this the second half of last year as well. I'm thinking of driving an excavator in there and just fixing it once and for all. It's a bit ridiculous now.

trekfan

annoying tree down near the end of the fast section of mojo from old coal. i thought i had enough speed to jump it. i did not

chris12453

Tree down on hoeferlin on the downhill before the ranger station. Chainsaw required to cut it out of the way. I mentioned it to the park a couple of times, but I guess it isn't high on their list right now. The pump house rock bridge crossing is pretty washed out. I rode it yesterday, but most people will be walking it on the water crossing.

trekfan

very sad to report that someone over the past 24 hours vandalized and destroyed a section of mojo swamp. seems like there's a back and forth pissing match between ppl who want the trail to remain on its normal course and someone who insists there needs to be a shortcut through a roundabout section just before the bridgework.

last week the shortcut was erased with branches blocking the path. yesterday morning (saturday) that's the way it was too. today (sunday) someone decided they wanted to have some fun and dump a huge amount of rocks, trees, branches and other crap throughout the ENTIRE section of the normal trail. looks like they even cut down a small tree to bend into the trail. must have taken him over an hour to do this, and from what i saw it looked for all the world to be vandalism. I've been riding this trail for probably 10 years. the shortcut is new and doesn't belong, and for the life of me i can't figure out why anyone would want it there in the first place. i don't recall any tree or other obstacle blocking the trail at that point, so not sure why it was cut to begin with. also, if you want the damned shortcut, keep the damned shortcut. but what you did today was bullshit. so much energy wasted, and for what? to cut 5-10 seconds off of your time? i don't get it. anyway i reported it to the ranger office.

i cleared most of it and it's at least somewhat rideable again. to the asshole who did it, just stop. you're making the community look very bad and it's destructive and dangerous

Last edited:

chris12453

@trekfan

My buddy and I have been seeing this all over the park. Especially on the ferbers circle side. Seems to be a lot of shortcuts being made. Especially when people are too lazy to hop a downed tree, or just get off the bike and walk over it. I live right by WayWay. The technical, pedal terrain is awesome. Those who actively work to destroy and change the trail systems are a joke. Would love to catch them in the act.

chris12453

@sundaydoug, that may be true, but the rest of the park is getting the same treatment. So understandably, it is a bit ridiculous at this point. There are a bunch now on wall. My advise without sounding like a jerk is to go create these shortcuts in sterling with the other 800 lines (and I ride there so its fine) but that is the place for it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions