Wawayanda Access Points

bucknejo

Would anyone know the best way to access Wawayanda coming from Bergen County? I'm looking for the closest trail head time-wise. I usually ride Ringwood and drop down from NY State via Sloatsburg Road. I think I can take this route, but find a way to go further West.

Is the Clinton Road access point for the Old Coal trail worth a shot?

gtluke

The Moped
Would anyone know the best way to access Wawayanda coming from Bergen County? I'm looking for the closest trail head time-wise. I usually ride Ringwood and drop down from NY State via Sloatsburg Road. I think I can take this route, but find a way to go further West.

Is the Clinton Road access point for the Old Coal trail worth a shot?
Cherry Ridge lot is probably the best options.
http://www.mtbnj.com/w/index.php?title=Wawayanda_State_Park

Blair

depends on the type of terrain you want, climbing, gnarly rocks, singletrack, fire road, start with the map and estimate 10 to 12 miles.

huffster

WW1.png

Nice thing about this access point is that there is no fee. Between Memorial and Labor you have to pay to come in the main gate.

If you have a low clearance car, don't try going up to the circle. Park down at the base of the hill and ride up to the circle. Then you can either start on The Wall or Banker Trail.

I like this trail map. It's pretty complete.

Blair

That is an awesome map. Someone upload it to the trail directory @Norm

I park at the ranger station sometimes, you don't have to pay, just get there before 10am weekends because it fills up

Kaleidopete

Another access point I use is parking along Clinton Road at P7, Wildcat project USE parking lot. Easy parking. There is a flimsy gate which you can either go around or under. This is the beginning of Old Coal Trail, you ride through the camp site on Old Coal Trail to access Turkey Ridge Trail and all the trails around the power line.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What about the Y/B/R across Clinton Road? Terrace pond south/terrace pond red?

I have been told once (probably from a not so reliable source) that the all Northern parts (darker green color including East of Clinton Rd) is fair game since it's technically Waway. I think most of the stuff near Terrace Pond are hike-a-bike sort of things although I have not hiked or biked it yet. Anything with a star on it usually requires carrying the bike on your back.

What's on the other side of that watershed?

Bloodshed.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Nice thing about this access point is that there is no fee. Between Memorial and Labor you have to pay to come in the main gate.

Park management considers use of this loophole when it comes to preference......Wawa and Ringwood users should consider supporting the parks with a yearly pass, and when you get it, tell them your a mtber.....puts us in a better position for more and better trails

Bleeder

JORBA:President
What about the Y/B/R across Clinton Road? Terrace pond south/terrace pond red?

Generally speaking it's not fun riding back there. From P7 Yellow is ridable for a bit. But you'll want to head south away from Terrace Pond to keep riding, and pick up red or blue. But then again you're heading into Watershed property. Technically no bikes. Heading North to Terrace Pond would be way more hike than bike. Especially the blue trail near Terrace Pond.

Kaleidopete

Wanna see a GREAT bridge! This is on the outskirts of Waywayanda. This muddy stream has been a problem crossing for the last 50 years. Now an "unknown actor" has built a wonderful bridge to cross it and get into the park. The bridge is about 20 feet long and made from a fallen tree that has been cut lengthwise and placed side by side, round side down. I can't even imagine the work that went into this bridge.

Heather2.jpg

Heather Lane08.jpg

huffster

That was some heavy lifting.

Now I'm going to have to go find it and ride it.

Is that down the south end off of Banker trail in those unmarked quad trails toward the east end of Cherry Ridge? I see the big puddle to the right and it looks familiar.

Kaleidopete

That was some heavy lifting.

Now I'm going to have to go find it and ride it.

Is that down the south end off of Banker trail in those unmarked quad trails toward the east end of Cherry Ridge? I see the big puddle to the right and it looks familiar.
@huffster
Oooooooooh, yer good! That's it! That's the way to my house. Once over the stream there are 3 trails that lead to my house.

That big puddle used to be the only way through to the trails, it was actually rideable when not too wet a season.

Today I explored another trail. It's a quad trail that's never used by bikers, just hunters and quads. I call it BIG MUDDY after today's ride.

Muddy me07.jpg

The crap was so packed in the fork I couldn't ride it.

Muddy me08.jpg

JohnnyWestood

I’m ducking as I ask this..where is the Cherry Ridge lot? I used to park by the ball field on Glen Wild Way, but there was a no parking sign there last Friday. To be honest, it might have been there last year, but I just noticed it.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions