Wanted: Orange and Blue components

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Building up my sons birthday present and looking for some components to liven up the look. He really wanted an orange/blue bike, or at least a cool color, but we ended up with black (which i dont even like).... function came before form in this case.

Some things i'm looking for:

Handlebars - blue or orange
Grips - opposite of bar color
NW chainring - 30 or 32t, blue or orange
Derailleur cable housing - orange preferred (hoping someone has some leftover from a kit)

I have Blue ODI lock on grips and will have a "bluish" Crank Bros aluminum bar in a day or two. This will be coming off my broken Paragon and doesn't fit the new build color scheme.

Grips you can have.

Bars; dunno....say $30 bucks. They are a very cool color, but not a true navy or royal blue.

santa cruz makes reasonably priced lock on grips in a bunch of colors. how expensive was the bike and how far off is his birthday? if you've got some time, strip the components off the bike and run sandpaper over the entire thing until all of the paint is nicely scuffed and tape off the headset, bottom bracket, and seat tube. then bring it to your local body shop and tell them what color you want it painted. i would speak with the body shop of choice before hand and work out a deal so you don't waste time scuffing and sanding.

It's a superfly... we'll work with add ons for now lol.

My buddy's a painter, so we'll be doing that to my sons current superfly 20 that's getting handed down to his sister. Probably do a purple to pink fade.

Had her test riding it yesterday, she did great! Hands are a bit smaller than my son's were so we'll be putting the gripshift back on when she takes the reigns.

14107693_1037371299644793_799202043287539853_o.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I wasn't able to get these over to you last night @sk1er18

Not the best pictures, but the bar is like a cool steel blue color. Always got compliments on it. I have the ODI Blue Lock On grips as a comparison. Only getting rid of them as they don't match the new Giant frame I'm building up. FYI; the ODI grips are going as well.

upload_2016-8-29_17-19-12.png

upload_2016-8-29_17-19-47.png

upload_2016-8-29_17-20-32.png

upload_2016-8-29_17-21-19.png

@ReggieHammond no worries man. That's a cool looking color for sure, but looking for more of a mtbnj blue that pops.

I think I'm going to order a set of orange santa cruz grips (thanks for the rec @greeek32 ) and throw on some carbon Easton bars that are collecting dust because they arent wide enough to use or sell.

For a chain ring, check out Endless Bike. They have all kinds of colors (in NW.)

For grips, there's ESI Silicone Grips. That's a preference thing, though - I like them, but they're a b*tch to get on the bars (even with alcohol, you'll still rub your hands raw trying to slide them on.) But they come in all kinds of colors.

And you could always spring for a paint job on the frame if you don't like black. I think The Color Factory in NJ does custom paint jobs.

Nice pics!

For future reference - back in my (old school) BMX days we would spray oven cleaner on red-anodized components, which resulted in a nice carrot orange color!

Back
Top Bottom