Wahoo Element Bolt or Some Garmin Device?

So, first 520+ impressions are good. The set-up process is a lot better. The unit goes through all the steps to sync the phone and whatever external sensors you might have. It also runs through syncing it to Strava, RWGPS, Trail Forks, etc...

Mapping looks the same as an 820. Color, same size. It's very nice for a sub $300 GPS.

I got the MTB bundle which includes a remote that sits near the shifter to go through the pages without having to take a hand off the bar. Seems cool, but I'm not real sure what it's actual application is.

The rest is the same. You need to go through and manually adjust each data screen and field. It takes some time to get it alI setup if you have a specific order to things, like I do.

It actually synced my ride when I saved the file, which my old one never did, so, bonus. That was the main selling feature of the Wahoo so if they worked out the bugs on that end, there's zero reason to buy an Elemnt. The 520+ makes the Elemnt look like an Atari 2600.

Also. I have to test the Trail Forks sync but dude, seriously, that's worth every single penny right there. Go to any park and follow the routes the locals take. Amazing.

20181211_155112.jpg
20181211_155124.jpg

The MTB bundle also comes with a backwards mount but I already have a K-Edge stem mount so I didn't use it on this bike.

Also. I have to test the Trail Forks sync but dude, seriously, that's worth every single penny right there. Go to any park and follow the routes the locals take. Amazing.

Now I'm very tempted. Keep reporting! Trail Forks is awesome. I'd just use my phone, but I probably have a crash at least a couple times a year that would destroy the phone. With the GPS, I just brush off the dirt and remount.

Thanks @jimvreeland for posting that photo with TrailForks. I've been curious about the newer Garmins that are Bluetooth and what apps they can show - I don't really care about Strava or other notifications but having maps handy. I have the old 800 (no issues still after 8 years) - with the maps @gtluke made but if I go anywhere other than the few NJ maps, I am constantly checking my phone....

520 plus is what i use never had an issue. The color screen is much nicer. Using trailforks on the 520 is a gr8 feature.

Now I'm very tempted. Keep reporting! Trail Forks is awesome. I'd just use my phone, but I probably have a crash at least a couple times a year that would destroy the phone. With the GPS, I just brush off the dirt and remount.

What is this Trailforks? A separate mapping system?

Damn. I had nearly convinced myself to get a Garmin Fenix watch as it is useful for more than one sport (I run on many of the days I can't ride). Now this thread is making me think the 520+ is the way to go...

Damn. I had nearly convinced myself to get a Garmin Fenix watch as it is useful for more than one sport (I run on many of the days I can't ride). Now this thread is making me think the 520+ is the way to go...

i think @Matt_ has the fenix watch, maybe he will have some input for you.

Thanks @jimvreeland for posting that photo with TrailForks. I've been curious about the newer Garmins that are Bluetooth and what apps they can show - I don't really care about Strava or other notifications but having maps handy. I have the old 800 (no issues still after 8 years) - with the maps @gtluke made but if I go anywhere other than the few NJ maps, I am constantly checking my phone....

It’s been a while since I did it, but there’s a website that has a lot of trails found throughout the US which you can download to the 800. Might be able to keep your phone in your pocket...

i think @Matt_ has the fenix watch, maybe he will have some input for you.

I had the 520, smashed it when I went OTB racing Nesh, then got the Fenix 5x. I like the watch better because it handles all my activities, and I was planning on buying a watch regardless (just not one this nice, till I killed my 520).

Caveats..... I dont road bike so I dont care about turn by turn navigation. However I have used the watch to follow routes in the trails and it works well.

Downside.... I wear it on my wrist, so its difficult to check stats while riding. They make a bar mount but I'm afraid to use that after what happened to my 520.

I got the MTB bundle which includes a remote that sits near the shifter to go through the pages without having to take a hand off the bar. Seems cool, but I'm not real sure what it's actual application is.

Any follow up thoughts on that remote? Does it make anything easier with gloves on?

Any follow up thoughts on that remote? Does it make anything easier with gloves on?

I do actually use it to toggle between screens. It does work with gloves but so does the unit because it's not touchscreen. If I did it again, I'd probably do the non-bundle and make my own. Or buy the road bundle which comes with an HR strap.

Thanks for that info. It's a very cool package and I'm still trying to convince myself I need a 520+. I really don't, and the money might be better spent on a new phone and a top tube bag. I get all the fitness info/logging I need from an apple watch.

Bringing this back because my garmin 820 is annoying me because after 3 hours in 35-40 degree temps the battery is almost dead. I run it with the backlight off. When I plug it in after I get home the battery is back up to 40-50% or more.
Anyone else have this issue? Is it a warranty issue? The unit is almost 1 1/2 years old.
I’m more than likely going to replace it with the 520 plus.
The touch screen on the 820 is horribly sensitive compared to my old 800, if I sweat on it too much it freaks out. That’s another reason I’m ditching the 820.

Bringing this back because my garmin 820 is annoying me because after 3 hours in 35-40 degree temps the battery is almost dead. I run it with the backlight off. When I plug it in after I get home the battery is back up to 40-50% or more.
Anyone else have this issue? Is it a warranty issue? The unit is almost 1 1/2 years old.
I’m more than likely going to replace it with the 520 plus.
The touch screen on the 820 is horribly sensitive compared to my old 800, if I sweat on it too much it freaks out. That’s another reason I’m ditching the 820.

Go for the elemnt - battery lasts much longer and no touch screen hassles.

Back
Top Bottom