Upgrading to new bike ... Help with choice

FacePlant

I'm looking to upgrade my bike, 14 year old Trek Fuel ex 26". I've narrowed my choices to 2. A used, 2014 lightly ridden (owner was injured and bike not ridden for over a year , Cannondale Trigger 29 carbon 2. Or a new 2016 GT Helion Pro 27.5" leftover. The GT would cost me $20 more at this time, haven't negotiated price of Trigger yet. Warranty is one thing to consider because it's Not transferable. These are Medium frames, I'm 5'7' 160 lbs. Thanks for any inputs.

Ride a 29er (if you have not already) to try it out. I rode a lot when 26 was the thing and just before 29 was in, then got out of biking for a while. When I came back I bought a 27.5. Before I bought it I tried out a FS 29er. This was in 2014. It just felt like I was driving a battleship, not my thing. Others swear by them and the roll over of a 29 wheel is better, no argument. The 27.5 felt better to me and that's were I am currently. Your opinion will matter but that was my experience coming from 26.

girth9.jpg

Reactions: rlb
I agree that your type and location of riding should factor into this decision. The trigger is more of a trail bike and the Helion leans more XC iirc. I have a 2013 Trigger 29er (aluminum) and like to ride technical trails. I can honestly say it’s the best bike I’ve owned in my 25+ years of mountain biking. The dual travel mode is great and it climbs as well as it descends. It’s overkill for six mile and undergunned for mountain creek, but for everything in between it’s aces. I’ve had no issues with it other than a pivot bearing that was defective within the first year and replaced under warranty. One thing to ensure if you go with the trigger: you need to be given the high pressure shock pump that came with the bike. A regular shock pump will not work. Good luck with your decision.

As others have said, very different bikes. You need to ride both and consider where you plan on riding. I favor the 29r or big 27.5 wheels and I'm only a bit taller than you. Personally wouldn't get a 27.5 xc bike, but that's just me. Though might work fine for you.

I agree that your type and location of riding should factor into this decision. The trigger is more of a trail bike and the Helion leans more XC iirc. I have a 2013 Trigger 29er (aluminum) and like to ride technical trails. I can honestly say it’s the best bike I’ve owned in my 25+ years of mountain biking. The dual travel mode is great and it climbs as well as it descends. It’s overkill for six mile and undergunned for mountain creek, but for everything in between it’s aces. I’ve had no issues with it other than a pivot bearing that was defective within the first year and replaced under warranty. One thing to ensure if you go with the trigger: you need to be given the high pressure shock pump that came with the bike. A regular shock pump will not work. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for the feedback! I was planning on riding the Trigger Saturday depending on weather. Unfortunately I don't have access to the Helion, unless I travel 1 1/2 hours to ride a used one that's up for sale but's been ridden Hard.

$1500-2000 give or take.

While i'm a cannondale fan, I might nudge you away from the Trigger. I owned one and I love it, but I just can be sure how long the dyad rear shock will be supported by FOX.

Give me a ring on friday. I have some leftover bikes that would suit you budget, and still have an active warranty. 609-924-RIDE.. J

While i'm a cannondale fan, I might nudge you away from the Trigger. I owned one and I love it, but I just can be sure how long the dyad rear shock will be supported by FOX.

Give me a ring on friday. I have some leftover bikes that would suit you budget, and still have an active warranty. 609-924-RIDE.. J
Yes I saw they changed the frame & shock in 2016, and since the shock was proprietary , was thinking the same thing. Thanks I'll call tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom