Upgrades?

2hottay

I have a a 2009 rockhopper disc and was wondering what upgrades I can get for this bike, or if it's worth getting a full suspension bike?

One thing i know i need to get is a set of clipless pedals and cleats.

any suggestions would be great, thanks!

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
as for pedals I got these they were cheap and I have beat the tar out of them with no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-52...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1244934012&sr=8-3

as for shoes the first pair I had were specialized tahoe's the fit great and did not hurt even after a 3 hr. ride now I have a pair of cannondale roams they seem alright..
you will need to try on the shoes because they all fit different.
I do not want to comment wether you need a full squish or not..
and the mets are up over the yanks by 4 runs...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
+2 for those shimanos, surprisingly i've smashed them into multiple things, still work!

maybe some grips if you have some hand pain, tires if you find ourself sliding out, a saddle if your ass is unhappy.

if it doesnt cause pain and it isnt broken, i usually dont replace it :)

2hottay

thanks for the website and all the suggestions! I found the pedals for 40 dollars on amazon, seems like a great deal to me!

BShow

I have a a 2009 rockhopper disc and was wondering what upgrades I can get for this bike, or if it's worth getting a full suspension bike?

One thing i know i need to get is a set of clipless pedals and cleats.

any suggestions would be great, thanks!

You should definitely get some cycling shoes and clipless pedals - First. Even the bottom of the barrel ones will help your riding immensely. That said, Shimano pedals are indestructable, but wont clear mud well. Crank Brothers shed mud better than anything, are super light, and are really easy to use. Time pedals are right in the middle and are my personal favorite. Shoes - go with what is most comfortable up top - try to get something with a stiff sole, keeping in mind that they wont be comfortable when walking around trying them on.

Once you have shoes and pedals, your first and best upgrade should be the wheels. If you're prepared financially to even think about a FS bike (which I think you dont need, BTW) you can afford to spend a few hundred bucks (+) on a really nice wheelset. Keep in mind that in the future, when (not if) you buy a new bike, you can use the wheels on your new bike.

After wheels, if you're set on upgrading rather than buying another bike, your fork is probably heavy and there are certainly better options out there.

Drivetrain upgrades are generally overrated. I'm assuming that you have half decent stuff on there already, and its probably bomb proof. Eventually, you'll break something and that's a good opportunity to upgrade it. You'll need to replace chainrings, cassettes and chains as routine maintenance anyway.

BShow

Support your local bike shop!

I agree... support your local shop whenever possible. You may pay a little more up front on some stuff but you'll be able to develop a relationship with them which will pay off dividends in the future. Think long term... personalized customer service and recommendations (priceless), new bikes($$$), repairs ($$), installations($), etc. Stuff that you just cant get over the internet. Not only that, you can't touch an item through your computer monitor.

Not So Fast

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Learn to ride first. As parts break replace them with better quality parts. As you learn to ride, you'll start to feel what you like and don't like about your bike. Unless you can afford it, don't get hung up in the BLING factor. At some point you'll realize that the money spent on upgrades could have bought a better bike.

That being said, the Shimano peddles are a good upgrade. After that look to make your bike comfortable.

Top Bottom