Trip Suggestions

Shaggz

A strong 7
my buddy and i are planning a last minute trip at the end of october/early november, and we are looking for some suggestions. he lives in Long Beach, CA, and will be traveling by vw syncro so we are looking to be within 300 miles of the LA Basin.

we were considering heading to Zion, but are uncertain as to how the weather will be. he is not a biker so a mtb specific trip is out of the equation, and skiing does not appeal to either of us. we have death valley/titus canyon/saline springs to fall back on; spectacular trip, but i've done it 3 times already and am looking for something different.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
steve, when i hiked the narrows, it was just before halloween. late october. the water is cold, but some wool or neoprene socks under shoes that drain well will be all you'll need. well, maybe some pants and a shirt too.

Shaggz

A strong 7
but some wool or neoprene socks under shoes that drain well will be all you'll need. well, maybe some pants and a shirt too.
i will make sure i take them off if i get pulled over. did you camp in the park or in one of the surrounding wilderness areas? it is my understanding that the official season closes on October 28th, and then first come, first served camping opens at "Watchman".

anrothar

entirely thrilled
there was plenty of camping when i was there. there are loads of blm lands nearby that you can camp on no questions asked. if you guys are up for the hike, which takes two days, you would be primitive camping in sites along the river. i probably camped 3/4 of the two weeks i was there, and most of that was on blm land.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
actually, there really is some amazing stuff to see in baja. i could recommend a few spots later. gotta go back to pretending to work now.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
ok, so, northern baja. http://www.discoverbajacalifornia.com/

aside from the slums donkey shows of tijuana and tecate, head further south and you can explore the real beauty of the place. parque nacionale constitucion de 1857 is really gorgeous, and you wont believe you're still in baja. fall color will likely be in effect there at that time. san felipe is beautiful and a very relaxing, rather safe place(gulf of california side). while in san felipe, take a day trip down to valle de los gigantes to see some friggen enormous cactii. you would have the oportunity to participate in active vacationing, like renting kayaks, sport fishing, exploring petroglyphs, or less active vacationing, like sitting on a beautiful beach drinking negra modello and eating deliscious mexican food.

on the ocean side, there are some beautiful beaches between tijuana and ensenada.

don't forget joshua tree national park in california either.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

What about the donkey and woman show? Is that still on in Tijuana?

Edit: on a more serious note... how about Flagstaff, Big Bend NP in southern Texas (maybe to far)?

Last edited:

rocknrollgirl

Don't know if this would fit your schedule, but Grand Teton and Yellowstone are a 2 for 1 destination that I would go back to in a second. Not sure about that late in the fall, but the place is amazing.

Shaggz

A strong 7
thanks for the input. We were considering San Felipe. One of our past adventures was a sail to ensenada, and my bud does about 3 baja trips per year. We are also looking into the next mountain range east of the sierra nevadas which is supposed to have excellent back country packing.

I loved the Teton/Yellowstone trip and will definitely head back with meg and the kids. Big Bend, El Capitan and similar were done as part of senior field mapping.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
awesome. i'll go back through my info some time this weekend and get you all that i have on the narrows if you guys feel you're up to them. it's an easy hike, and definitely worth it.

Shaggz

A strong 7
yeah - we are up for it. i want to actually see if i can rent a bike and equip for a day while we are out there.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
there's a shop in springdale that rents bikes. you shouldn't have much trouble finding the locals. josh bender is from there, and there are a ton of really fun trails on the blm lands.

Top Bottom