Trexler Preserve

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I've been to Trexler a few times this year now and I've seen it mentioned in a few threads but didn't see a specific thread for it. So here's a little info for those who may want to check it out.

First, one thing I've heard a bunch of times is that Trexler is fun but short. I get why people say that, but the truth is it's actually bigger (and more challenging) than a lot of people realize. If you're absolutely opposed to repeating any section of the trail, then it's necessarily short. But if you're willing to do a mile or so of repeated trail, you can easily get 20 miles. The trick is to hit the whole boundary trail, and then loop back to hit the pump track sections and the awesome flow trail descent (one of the most fun trails I know in the entire region.) The section a lot of people miss is circled below.

1595791293769.png

Also, the ride shown here starts from then Orchard Rd. Parking area. There is a parking area that starts within the park closer to the pump track, but the Orchard Rd. lot puts you right on the boundary trail that allows you to choose how long (and hard!) your ride is.

Second, there is a TON of climbing if you do the boundary trail. If you stay just in the middle of the park where the pumptrack is, there isn't too much - you just have to go from the bottom of the pump track to the top to redo it. But the boundary trail has something like 200-250 feet of elevation gain per mile. There's plenty of descending as well, but the climbs are tough. In fact, if you go clockwise on the boundary trail, there is a climb near where it links up to the center of the park that's almost impossible to clean - super loose and steep at the bottom and then steady and long for another quarter mile or so past that. And it's all exposed, so it can cook you in the summer.

Finally, the Valley MTBers put a lot of work into these trails - in fact, every time I've been there other than on New Year's Day, they been out working on something. So the trails feel very flowy in the sections they work on. They're not allowed to change the boundary trails as I understand it (which is a shame because that one brutal climb could really benefit from some contouring.) Between the flowy stuff they work on and the boundary trail, the whole place has a nice mix of chunky and flowy - again, with a shit ton of climbing thrown in.

I'm attaching the GPX file from the ride pictured above. There is some repeating of sections here, but it's worth it to justify the drive out and get a chance to see everything the park has to offer.

Attachments

• Trexler_Preserve_.gpx
    886.8 KB · Views: 163
It is on my this year's objectives to add some specific sections to the forum for the out-of-state destinations.
I'll check the proposed timeline for implementation, and see if it can still be met, given the challenges of the pandemic and other
unforeseen complications. ;)

thanks for the write-up. user stories help develop/hone the requirements.
esp when the developers have no idea what the users are actually doing.

I've always started out at the boundary trail. I remember before they carved the switches on that monster hill we pushed our bike all the up only to think well this sucks. Went back down and jumped on that boundary trail again and found the goodness in the back. Then next couple visits realized we were about 20yards away lol. Fun park...
Bulldozer open again? havent been back since it was closed for invasive plant removal.

Killdozer. Technically closed but you can ride it in the winter apparently.

I still haven’t been but I want to do their silly little Halloween enduro this year. Who’s comin with me?

I've been to Trexler a few times - even when KillDozer still existed. Sometimes I'll hit it on my way to my dad's house.

Saw the new trail on social media and went out today to check it out. HOLY FUN! And the climb back out/to the start is not bad at all. They did a great job - would compare it to the flow trail at High Bridge.

I've been to Trexler a few times - even when KillDozer still existed. Sometimes I'll hit it on my way to my dad's house.

Saw the new trail on social media and went out today to check it out. HOLY FUN! And the climb back out/to the start is not bad at all. They did a great job - would compare it to the flow trail at High Bridge.
Growing up literally down the street from that place and seeing kids using it all the time now makes me so happy... and incredibly jealous that none of that existed when I was a kid. Instead we had to slide down the velodrome walls of Trexlertown. Definitely not as fun.

Oh nice! What’s the new trail?

Growing up literally down the street from that place and seeing kids using it all the time now makes me so happy... and incredibly jealous that none of that existed when I was a kid. Instead we had to slide down the velodrome walls of Trexlertown. Definitely not as fun.

I was there at 10 am yesterday/midweek and the lot was full with cars. Definitely a good sign!

Rode it today first time - trails pristine- new section ( rollers ) is a blast - op is correct you can get miles if you do the border trail - which @ times seemed never ending but well worth the ride.
Cool place

Has anyone been out to Trex since the snow? Curious what the trail conditions are there.

Ah bummer, my friend and I were hoping to hit it this weekend. Hopefully it'll be good within the next month or so

Reports on FB no go. Still snow and thaw.

Posted at 3:38 am. You either wake up too early or go to bed too late. Back in the day I always maintained that today turned into tomorrow between 3-4. That was a no man’s land.

Anyway thanks for the report!

Update: So we gave Trexler a shot yesterday. Still a little muddy in spots (last couple berms of Broken Arrow, second half of Half-pipe 1 was real bad after the tabletop jump), but everything else was good. Brian's Return, Broken Arrow, Half-pipe 2, and the climb trails were good, didn't touch any of the border trails so idk about those.

Oh and the parking lot that's listed on Trailforks is currently closed since it's a dirt road, so they presumably don't want anyone getting stuck or rutting it up. So be prepared to climb from wherever you park.

Went back again this weekend, everything is running smooth minus a couple down trees on Half Pipe 2. Mud has cleared up on Half Pipe 1 and the Mill Creek lot was open and busy 🙌

Went here today this place is pretty awesome, nothing like the nj trails I'm use to. No rocks at all berms and jumps and flow everywhere. Lots of climbing and fully exposed to the elements though with no tree cover. The wind was brutal and my face is wind burnt pretty bad.
20220329_151851.jpg
20220329_145130.jpg
20220329_145126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom