Trainers

A

Ant

Do any of you have one of these and if so what kind and how do you like it?

S

scubasteve

What's up Ant?

I have a Cycle Ops Mag+

http://www.cycle-ops.com/products/mag+.htm

I'll tell you that it's very weird riding on a trainer and not going anywhere. It takes a bit of time getting used to. For me, it's good because i ride in the morning before work and it doesnt' take a lot of prep time.

THe Mag+ is great, but the "remote" adjuster sucks. I still haven't gotten it to work, so I'd say just get the Mag.

This is my first trainer, so i'm not exactly a source on what to get. What I can tell you is that they're very useful, especially in the off-season.

Hope that helps!

A

Ant

scubasteve said:
What's up Ant?

I have a Cycle Ops Mag+

http://www.cycle-ops.com/products/mag+.htm

I'll tell you that it's very weird riding on a trainer and not going anywhere. It takes a bit of time getting used to. For me, it's good because i ride in the morning before work and it doesnt' take a lot of prep time.

THe Mag+ is great, but the "remote" adjuster sucks. I still haven't gotten it to work, so I'd say just get the Mag.

This is my first trainer, so i'm not exactly a source on what to get. What I can tell you is that they're very useful, especially in the off-season.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Steve! I actually just ordered the Magneto one with the speed varying resistance. I'm hoping this is a good one....

S

scubasteve

I'm sure they're all good. You'll have to let me know what you think of it!

N

njalex

Excuse my ignorance but what is the purpose of these things? I just saw them at bike shops and I thought they were for sizing bikes.

NJ Jess

Hey there Alex

Hi Alex, bike trainers are used for indoor training or warming up before a race. With winter coming, a lot of cyclist train indoors while watching TV, a movie, or they might have sprint intervals on a trainer.

Base miles are usually done in December, January, and Febuary. Simply put, you do 10-20 miles a day on the trainer to condition your body to the specific muscles and movements a cyclist needs. Start off easy, so 10 miles a day, 5 days a week, equals 50 miles. Each week add 10 -20 miles as you become healthier, lighter (cause you can lose 10 -30 pounds in these 3 months). By the time spring starts, you can really boggie on a bike. First H2H race is usually May 1st! Hope to see ya out there, Jess

Shaggz

A strong 7
Re: Hey there Alex

NJ Jess said:
Hi Alex, bike trainers are used for indoor training or warming up before a race. With winter coming, a lot of cyclist train indoors while watching TV, a movie, or they might have sprint intervals on a trainer.

Base miles are usually done in December, January, and Febuary. Simply put, you do 10-20 miles a day on the trainer to condition your body to the specific muscles and movements a cyclist needs. Start off easy, so 10 miles a day, 5 days a week, equals 50 miles. Each week add 10 -20 miles as you become healthier, lighter (cause you can lose 10 -30 pounds in these 3 months). By the time spring starts, you can really boggie on a bike. First H2H race is usually May 1st! Hope to see ya out there, Jess

jess- which trainer do you use?

Shaggz

A strong 7
re-starting this thread because there are a lot more members since it was originally posted. Is anyone using a trainer or spinning bike? If so, which one?

-cheers!
steve

A

Ant

smarencik said:
re-starting this thread because there are a lot more members since it was originally posted. Is anyone using a trainer or spinning bike? If so, which one?

-cheers!
steve

Like mentioned before I have a Trek 1200 on a cycleops magneto. I usually can only stand to be on it for about 30 mins. at a time. I also read in a bicycling magazine that generally since you are always pedaling you should only be on it for about 1/2 the time you usually ride for.

hooples3

I have had one before, and i tried and tried to use it. I just could get into riding inside. I dreaded getting on it. i would rather go out for an hour in the freezing cold and ride, so now thats what i do. I sold my trainer and just ride outside. Since i dont ride nearly as much I do a lot of other stuff.. Jog, play basketball svereal days a week <inside> , football on sun mornings etc...so I still get a good cardio workout several days a week.

Shaggz

A strong 7
ant (or anyone else) - how does the trainer actually work? does the rear wheel come off the bike, or does it attach to the trainer? i have a full suspension and a hybrid - no road bike - so which would be a better choice? what about rollers?

hoops - the thought of riding indoors does not really appeal to me that much either, but it's gonna be a long winter for me with a toddler and a new born :rolleyes: we have a big ass tv in the basement, so i can catchg up on movies, i will have take my exercise when i can get it! hoping to supplement training w/x-country skiing and mtbing on milder days.

hooples3

the rear whell stays on your bike, sometimes but not always you need to replace your skewer with one supplied with the trainer, but that is only if your skewer doesnt fit in the notch on the trainer.
basically your rear wheel is held up by the trainer. A small roller on the trainer is adjusted to lay against your wheel, so that when you pedal the wheel is turner the roller as well. Depending what type of traner you have ( ie wind, magnetic, fluid) the feel is different. some traners have aadjustable resistance in them as well, but pedalling can be made harder on all of them by using your normal shifting. They are all pretty easy to set up and use. I would strongly suggest you buy the riser block for your front wheel so that you ride level. cycle-ops makes some of the nicest trainers out there but are more expensive.
i am good friends with a bike store owner, I belive she is selling the cycle ops Magneto trainer for around $200 if interest let me know

A

Ant

I had to put in a nex axle/skewer or whatever that the trainer locks onto. It's actually pretty easy. Time goes much faster when you're watching movie.

Shaggz

A strong 7
does it matter which bike i use (hybrid or fs mtb)? i guess it shouldn't, because pedalling is pedalling... if not, i will probably use the hybrid so i won't have to fiddle with the mtb for winter rides. i'm assuming i should pickup a slick or not-so-agressive tire for the one attahced to the trainer.

BTW - thanks for all the feedback!!!!

M

MikeM

I cant believe people use these things. Go outside, its not that bad

qclabrat

Good tip from 2005, I'm running an old cross tire on the upstairs trainer
IMG_20191205_191319.jpg

Top Bottom