Trail Maintenance - don't do this

IMG_4253.jpeg

this trail was rerouted after a bad storm dropped a bunch of trees, the clean up was fast, but the trail was now in a natural low spot (the trail is on the left of the cut trees)
IMG_4254.jpeg

today i cut all the trees on the right and moved the trail over a few feet.
IMG_4258.jpeg

i slapped most of this pretty good but will revisit the grading when it hardens up a bit. now it is naturally higher and can drain into the old trail.

Last edited:
View attachment 225879
this trail was rerouted after a bad storm dropped a bunch of trees, the clean up was fast, but the trail was now in a natural low spot (the trail is on the left of the cut trees)
View attachment 225880
today i cut all the trees on the right and moved the trail over a few feet.
View attachment 225881
i slapped most of this pretty good but will revisit the grading when it hardens up a bit. now it is naturally higher and can drain into the old trail.
But, how does this relate to the Trail Maintenance - don't do this thread? If anything, the opposite...

Sadly the bars are locust, so they won’t rot…..the more reason not to cut it. I helped put them in when I first started with tm. We dug them into the tread back then and the tread was only 18 inches wide. Another shining example of why water bars don’t work, fuckers avoid them. Look at it now. SMH

some one, im guessing kids since it happened this past week (no school), was added small “berms”. Unfortunately, most of them were in nics.
Dont block the nics, arrows on where the water goes
IMG_5024.jpeg

Also, dont put logs on the draining edge (and block drainage with dirt)
IMG_5022.jpeg

Do, cut nic, address tree some other day
IMG_5023.jpeg

Last edited:
Don’t pick the widest part of the big tree to cut through 🙄. That being said, was cool to see a smaller branch/ root? Once of the cooler cross sections...
IMG_5177.jpeg

IMG_5175.jpeg

Also, when someone sent me a picture of the ones below, i was like, easssssy. Welp, not when they are petrified wood.
IMG_5178.jpeg

Still got through them but the bigger tree was way easier.

Last edited:
Don’t pick the widest part of the big tree to cut through 🙄. That being said, was cool to see a smaller brach, root?
View attachment 230863
View attachment 230862

Also, when someone sent me a picture of the ones below, i was like, easssssy. Welp, not when they are petrified
View attachment 230864
Still got through them but the bigger tree was way easier.
The rings on that crosscut photo kinda looks like one of those meditation sand thingies.👍

Back
Top Bottom