Touch Up Paint

THATmanMANNY

I have a chipped paint spot that is exposing some raw steel. Maybe the size of a chocolate chip. :( Should I be concerned about rust? How and what should I use to touch it up?

Yup you should... Throw a cool sticker over it... Ya know steel frames can be coated with a protectant... My road bike is:D

BTW Norm... I have your SS's touch up paint in my car... I will drop it at Halter's

if you are concerned with rust, just put some car wax over the spot. As far as covering up the black up, you could try nail polish . Rust isnt that much of a concern for that small of a scratch.

You should sand the paint down smooth around the chip. You might be surprised to find corrosion under the surrounding paint already.

If you cover it up w/o cleaning it up first, you are going to get rust and bubbles under the paint.

thanks for the pointers guys

I would be really really surprised to see corrosion already since it's like yesterday new. I'm going to fix it up and frame save this baby too before I ride it. I may be able to get some touch up from the manufacturer too. So white is white and 631 Reynolds? :D

Not my ultimate dream ride per say but it was one of those bikes I couldn't find when I was looking for a road bike. Now I've found one and it came from a ways out there. I think I'll be happy with this one for a long time like my xCheck. With all this bike buying, riding, and selling I've really learned what I want in my bikes: durability, utility, and STEEL! I'll be happy if I get this to about 19lb after swapping parts on. So I'll be selling me Cdale soon.

07_quest_wh.jpg

nice, steel is for real! Oddly enough, 3 of my 4 bike are steel. Would not have expected that a few years back!

I've really learned what I want in my bikes: durability, utility, and STEEL!

You have made it blantely clear that you have not spent a lot of time on TI bike:p... Nah, looks solid Manny and steel is real especially on the road... I love my steel 7, thanks Al

I just read this
http://www.bicycling.com/article/0,6610,s-5-27-7461-1,00.html
thoughts?

I've also read some ppl will clean it, put clear nail polish on, and then paint it.

Has anyone successfully used nail polish for frame touch-ups that can comment on it? Does it hold up? I'm working on my prized '88 Cannondale SM500/600 (still can't figure out which one) in its original purple. To match that color, I think I'm gonna have to create a mix. Is that even possible with nail polish, and will the results be worth the effort?

Any stories of success or failure would be appreciated.

Has anyone successfully used nail polish for frame touch-ups that can comment on it? Does it hold up? I'm working on my prized '88 Cannondale SM500/600 (still can't figure out which one) in its original purple. To match that color, I think I'm gonna have to create a mix. Is that even possible with nail polish, and will the results be worth the effort?

Any stories of success or failure would be appreciated.

I would try modeling paint before nail polish.

C-dale does stock some touch up paint. Send me the serial # and I can check.

Back
Top Bottom