to rake or not to rake?

MikeP

every year around this time we start this debate.....usually somebody eventually does it anyway. I usually rake new trails or sections, so people can see them (trails less than a year old). Thoughts?

Not! You want the organic breakdown of the of the leaves. You also risk erosion by building a curb of leaves. Just ride the trail as best as you know it and those leaves will eventually show a clear path.

I use a blower, rake and tarp.... No f'in way I'm leaving the leave as they fall... There are way too many...

Mike also said "new section" of trail, ones that are not well established. I think thats acceptable, otherwise Matty is right IMHO.

Totally agree with leave leaves, especially on rocky terrain. I suppose in low lying areas that are prone to not dry out, some maintainers may want to get them off the trail. Most cases in northern NJ, it is a no, no to blow leaves off trails. Just deal with it for a few weeks. You will be glad in the end.

NOT!
It's just another skill to master.
Obviously, if the leaves are hiding something clearly dangerous, rake it.
Otherwise, leave the leaves.

I thought this thread would be about raking your lawn ... which I would love to not ever have to do but that's not an option.

I would never even consider raking out a trail. If nothing else, it gives an old familar place a new look for a bit. The only thing I hate about leaves is that the trails stays wet longer after a rain in the fall. But I'm with all the people-who-know-more-than-I-do: leave them there and just ride over them.

Very rocky place like the sourlands I vote yes. Leaves make sections of those trails dangerous to bikers and hikers/runners.

Yesterday at Waway, I came across giant piles of leaves 2-3 feet high. I think bears are looking for grubs or seeds. As annoying as it was to try and ride through that stuff, it made me slow down and I could avoid riding through the giant scat piles. It seems like between bear scat and dog poo, I've been washing my tires a lot these day :rolleyes:.

On most other trails up there the leaves were already mulching in and softening the trails in a good way. The leaves seem to replace the dirt that washes away during the year.

Back
Top Bottom