To Hell and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are you headed my way?

Might be tomorrow! will see how much painting gets done. I owe @Arwen's Mom a buzz too.
---

Wow - I'm sore today after working through all the soft fields and wind. Not sure where the ride is going to take
me today??? Waiting for the Vitamin I to kick in...

----

Here is some irish food art from a couple years back.

"Bar Fight"
2012-03-17%2019.06.44.jpg

What's going on here Patrick??? This is what Im thinking... Hopefully I'm wrong

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 207
Golf.......this is the big reset. MTB in the shop getting some post winter/short track mud fest love.
Going to do some running, drink beer with my Dad, fish, watch pre-season baseball.....

2015-03-29%2010.36.11.jpg

tampa bay just over the sea wall.....

I'm Back! Well, back from Florida.
Thought about running, but settled for walking.
Took the kids out for some bottom fishing, and they hooked into some saltwater catfish. About 20 or so in the 3-4lb range - maybe a couple bigger ones.. Well, they aren't taking them off the hook, so held these spinning/flopping things out away from my body to prevent getting spiked. My arms hurt the next day! Holy crap, i knew i was getting weaker since the shoulder rebuild, but crap.....
gotta put some of that old school exercise on the plate!

My kid got David Wright's signature on a baseball - i missed getting a picture of it tho. lame parenting.

------

Food - There is no food left in florida to eat, so @Norm should be ok. We have one of those fitbit scales that keeps track each person by "recognizing" them. Yeah, it didn't know who i was! Anyway,
vacation weight comes off almost as fast as it goes on. Yogurt, egg whites, some veggies, and lots of protein for the next couple weeks.

Riding - well, since i didn't ride while way, except for some around-the-block beach cruiser stuff, I was jonesin' today. Headed over to SMP for some recon, and a couple hours of pedaling.
conditions were decent, plenty of firm dirt to ride, and the steady diet of rocks - so that was good. was able to move some branches off the trail, and got all bloodied on the wild rose whips -
Felt like crap, but did ok - mentioned before that i find it amazing what i ride one day, then fail on the next, only to climb/ride something that has eluded me.. today was no different.

Drinking - 1 beer rule in effect.

------

@ChrisRU - 1TB of data was the encoding of 1B telephone call metadata per month over a year - originally it was done with 9-track tape (those tape drives they show in old movies to
show the computer was doing something) - then 3480 tapes with robotic handling (which was actually a really cool integration project)
- Remember how your phone used to ring while eating dinner, and it was someone trying
to sell phone service ("change your provider") - for one very large company, it was driven by some of the data mining i was doing (we didn't call it that back then) - we were able to model
valuable customers by looking at who called them, an ordered list was created, and sent out to the sales team.
Anyway, the military found out about it, and into a locked room with limited access it went - which didn't include me. You may have heard someone hiding in russia talk about it.
I'm really not ok with the project now that i'm not a 20 something, and have had discussions with a friend who wrote some software that finds source code segments that could be attacked -
the government owns a few copies of that too.... someone would have done it.

so i hope they caught some really bad guys using it....as an aside, it went bigger than the one company, so there is no pointing fingers on this one.

Last edited:
Wow - What a great time today for my first pure mtb race. have done some off road duathlons, but this is different. Course is tougher, and don't have to worry about running
afterwards - unless i piss someone off.

Another big TY to the team, and their prep. Someone point @bonefishjake out to me next race.

So it started off at dinner saturday night, went to caperville, i mean lamberville. place was packed because of the nice weather - i'm sure they were caught off-guard.
waiter mentioned he was a carpenter. great - if you are going to mention you are not a pro server, just stop by every so often and ask what you can do - like pick up empty dishes and
glasses - don't mind the food being slow, but hey, you might want to server what you are advertising! why did i mention this - well it primed the spouse to have discussion with me
about weekend bike events - since i can ride during the week, why do i have to go to this race - i gave her the pancake breakfast talk, and slept on the couch. considered not going, and thought
of MBM - this is important to me. that would be my response on return.

ok, so its race day, and i feel like crap - back hurts, lack of sleep, leave a bit later than originally anticipated, but not a problem. get the bike out of the truck, say hello to a few people, and decide to warm up on the last single track section. i'm half way into it and the rear wheel ingests a stick from 25' off the trail - ok, it must have been on the trail, but i didnt' see it. it ends up between the rear rotor and the swing arm.
BEND! kinda push the rotor back, and head for the support tent. Got a pro repair from @solorider and did a little bit more on the road - much safer. while at the tent, @soundz strolled over. figured he recognized me,
so i start talking like a know him - and i see the hoodafaq look... so i introduce myself - absolute gold. this is where we agree to terms for the adult beverage exchange.....nice. Say hello to my cousin doing endurance, and try to
find @graveyardman67 - but he is out on the course,

head up to the line, and once again, i have no idea if i want to be in front, middle, back, or go drink something caffeinated. Chat up @extremedave and @ReggieHammond while there, as they are "younglings" going off before me :)
@Norm brings some order to the noob masses, calls the groups to the line, and gives instructions.
cat 3 instructions are interesting - cause it is all about race hard, be courteous, come back soon....I line up second row, and just go - not hard, not slow, just in contact with the front row. actually pass a few people that blew up already -

the single track
once onto the trail, the riding went well. turtle up the hills, ride the tech, go dh conservatively. So i consider my tech skills a bit better than average. I'm also a very courteous person, so if a person goes down in front
of me, and is making an attempt to get up and go, i'm not going to tell them to get out of the way - i was also entertained at the number of people dismounting before the tech. i chose this category - this is what comes with it.
my out of shape, vs people in better shape that don't ride the rocks. even being "held up" i was a couple minutes faster than the other night's preride. At one point, i bottomed the fork on a dh which i railed the other night. this was a real STB moment, cause i thought i was going OTB at speed - took a couple minutes to recover, which was the balance of the nice dh.

about 1/2 through the race, the race-within-the-race develops - thin fellow, doing ok, but maybe didn't pre-ride. slow in the tech and dh, faster in the smooth/flats. we come out onto the road incline, and i lock out the fork.
pass the this fellow and set my sights on the next guy up - chase him down at the turn to the dam - i can't get by - then i can't get by at the water crossing - he comes to a stop - or almost. jeez, it looks "scary" but it is wider than the single track!

pass him in the field and back onto the single track where i bent the rotor! ride it clean all the way through and come out to the parking lot. hit the rock just before the ped crossing and get tossed off the trial - wtf! i forgot to unlock the fork! well, not a big deal now, just have the road climb left - i'm in front with two riders on my wheel. someone yells 'you 2 are in the same class - finish it strong" - so i thought it was the two be hind me. i ride the uphill with a nice constant spin, and about 200M from the finish the other two go - i look back, and there isn't anyone, so i'll cruise in.

ends up that I came out of the woods with the lead, and let the other guy just ride away from me. this will never happen again. bloody hell.....lesson learned.

almost home

index.php
pic by @soundz

in the end i'm 2 of 6 in the group - time pushed into the younger crowd, and could have kept going for a "back of the middle" cat-2 time. we'll see - @sarcaro :D

need a better bike pic for @743power .

Last edited:
Quick update -

Went to ST Louis this weekend - in-laws trip - good stuff hitting the mid-west occasionally. It is just different in a good way.
The Arch is magnificent - get close to it, and experience the true size - totally different. Like standing at the base of the empire state building
vs seeing it from the vista of rt 80 in denville.....

once again engaging the master food plan of not eating everything in sight.
and the 1 beer rule - this seems to work -

got a nice ride in with AM and her hub yesterday - was running late, so the casual ride turned into a sprint to catch them - coming out of the
blocks hard, and riding the twisties for the first time this year was "interesting" - It was supposed to be a casual ride, as the plan for the day was
to be on my feet for 7 hours - one of my new gigs is a track official for the skylands conference. I'm specializing in javelin and discus catch. Discus
almost got me yesterday.

Anyway, feeling stronger - and motivated (which is the tough part) - saw Courtney out on the trail, and Arvin with the green fatty - you on here?

Going to walk a golf course today!

a nice mist would be beneficial - it is getting dusty out there!

Who is up for a dawn patrol ride on Saturday? CR or SMP - i need to be out of the parking lot by 8am....

Wife, Kid, Nephew (bigger than most) - at Busch Stadium

2015-05-01%2018.33.30.jpg

I just read the wiki page for St. Louis. Its amazing how little I know about a city right in the middle of the US. Is you nephew a descendent of Paul Bunyan.

always loved the look of the cards logo, glad they're not messing with it
that is a big human, or your family is shorter than average

I just read the wiki page for St. Louis. Its amazing how little I know about a city right in the middle of the US. Is you nephew a descendent of Paul Bunyan.

always loved the look of the cards logo, glad they're not messing with it
that is a big human, or your family is shorter than average

He is 6'5" - somewhere in the neighborhood of 340. He was an animal when in the air force - at 270ish, and a small waist, whew. He was building the runways, not flying the planes :)

it is an interesting city ! at least one can tour the budweiser factory, and see the horses.

--

walking the golf course was fun today - open with a par, close with a par, and might have mixed another one in - otherwise, it was like any other mtb ride - 3 hours in the woods.
Gotta be the stupidest game on earth. that, and that weird volleyball game played with your feet..

Game_of_Sepaktakraw_at_a_match_in_Strasbourg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom