To Hell and Beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Put the total jinx on with last year's thread - so much so, that there was no motivation to even track/update....the demise. Between the knee, stomach, and the crash - it wasn't the best year ever. That's ok, it just is what it was. Amen.

With the seed planted from Kevin, Caroline at HG, and Courtney from GoRyde, I've signed up for HOH. Having an event on the calendar helps me tremendously. Gives a valid excuse to watch what goes into the old pie hole, both food and beverage wise. It will also motivate to get up and move, with more focus....

Started feeling strong on the bike second half of 2013 - probably a good reason for that - had about 2500mi in for the year at the half-way point - was running, and dieting. My goal was to get into the 10 minute range on the zion rd end-to-end segment - came within a few seconds - but for some reason, didn't really go back. first attempt this year scared me....

So it is 1/29/15, and i'm just over 190lbs. 7 weeks to take that under 180 for HOH - (which is the last day of BIYF - coincidence?) - I'm down a few lbs since the beginning of the year - so the early feedback is good.

Will probably participate in short track, just to have some fun - get the heart rate up and all -> purchase a pint glass or two.

Anyway, here is to a huge 2015 for everyone that wants it!

-------
Random stuff from the last year.

my neck: still have some pain, a bit stiff when waking up, a bit sore late at night. it worries me when riding. guess it is ok to be overly conservative for a bit longer.

The pearl polls:

On getting arrested: Been thinking about this since posting up - probably getting arrested as a minor, tossed in a cell for a bit, and dealing with the embarrassment put me back on the right path. schoolwork was easy for me, going to a catholic hs out of public middle school meant dealing with established groups, so most team sports were out - esp after getting cut from basketball - i never played cyo. Had a job, so always had money - it was just a recipe for disaster, and i cooked up a good one. Good job by the police that night, not shooting me. Amazing what a little cooperation will do.

On the alcohol budget: Whew, what a vice. Grade school was filled with the anti-smoking campaigns - it never really appealed to me anyway. The focus now is anti-drinking (maybe underage drinking?) - like a handful of people around here, the legal age was 18 during my HS stint, think about it. my kid has started to come down on me quite a bit about the unhealthy affects (like i did to my parents about smoking). he is fully armed with facts - so that has changed my habits too. Not the facts, just the pressure!

a quick nod to the peeps out there who put the bottle down, and are leaving it there.

One of my personal goals, when imbibing, is to not get a hangover. Strange as it may seem, focusing on that, rather than if i should have one more seems to work. Don't want to go here.....

IMG_2732.PNG
1576482351179.png

Anyway, with a bit more training, a a lot less drinking, over the next couple months, perhaps budget reallocation towards some bike accessories would be make a nice reward!

Apologies for not having more pictures! will get them in the future posts.

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
First!

HOH is in March, nothing else on the calendar for 2015?

Last edited:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Go Pat! Stoked to see this!

Have you been visiting a Dr. Lecter to help fill out your forms?

tumblr_mnoynvge7O1rnlor8o3_250.gif

The Kalmyk

This year I plan on a bit more structure and build up to one or two events. Like you, it keeps me honest when opening the fridge door. I am thinking the MTBNJ Stewart race will be one of them.

Last year was a good year for me on the bike. I saw a drastic loss in weight, got faster climbing hills and my attitude is much more positive. I did all of this by jra by myself. It's almost like I have fell in the mold of Kevin in that I only rode once this past year with someone other than myself. I did participate is a few events but they are designed around the premise of being self sufficient. I need a serious injection of "be more social".

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
my neck: still have some pain, a bit stiff when waking up, a bit sore late at night. it worries me when riding. guess it is ok to be overly conservative for a bit longer.

^you've just described my wiener.

Tell your son no one likes a buzz kill...everything in moderation.

Glad to see your doing HOH, tell Norm not to be a sissy and sign up too.

Johnny Utah

This makes me want to start my own (not saying that you are) fat guy (because I am) training thread. Maybe the site needs some of those for the average guy (like myself) who needs some motivation.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
This makes me want to start my own (not saying that you are) fat guy (because I am) training thread. Maybe the site needs some of those for the average guy (like myself) who needs some motivation.

not to derail Pat's thread, but nothing is better than looking back years from now and reading about your history... I would highly recommend it. I have posts from 2011 in a thread that I read every once and a while. Totally worth it.

Johnny Utah

This year I plan on a bit more structure and build up to one or two events. Like you, it keeps me honest when opening the fridge door. I am thinking the MTBNJ Stewart race will be one of them.

Last year was a good year for me on the bike. I saw a drastic loss in weight, got faster climbing hills and my attitude is much more positive. I did all of this by jra by myself. It's almost like I have fell in the mold of Kevin in that I only rode once this past year with someone other than myself. I did participate is a few events but they are designed around the premise of being self sufficient. I need a serious injection of "be more social".

I hear ya on the social part, very hard though when getting serious about riding. The past year I rode the majority by myself and got way faster and stronger, but it was under a "no-stop" mentality. Because of it, I cannot stand multiple stops now, more of a steady three hour ride guy now. But I know this does not fit into the majority of riders fortmat.

Johnny Utah

not to derail Pat's thread, but nothing is better than looking back years from now and reading about your history... I would highly recommend it. I have posts from 2011 in a thread that I read every once and a while. Totally worth it.

Oh so tempting, hmmm..

Guess I will need to figure out a format, and then finally get on Strava...

And figure out how to post all without creating issue :hmmm:

More to follow.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i'm with pearl. i see some monthly goals but what's on the horizon for the summer? anything? while you're at it, what is the meaning of life?

Patrick

Staff member
I hear ya on the social part, very hard though when getting serious about riding. The past year I rode the majority by myself and got way faster and stronger, but it was under a "no-stop" mentality. Because of it, I cannot stand multiple stops now, more of a steady three hour ride guy now. But I know this does not fit into the majority of riders fortmat.

Depends on the range of talent of the group - everyone climbs at a different rate - so stopping at the top, or easy pedaling, to collect the group is necessary - while my climbing sucks, it is on the edge of knowing i won't blow up, and can continue at the top. guess it will always be like that, hopefully the rate will increase...

some people stop to do/re-do some tech, some don't. personally, i redo when i'm alone, but not when with others...

gotta ride with faster peeps to keep the motivation level up. Always nice when they are having a casual conversation, while i'm starting to hallucinate.

Think it is time to get that road ride in! hmm, haven't gone up long hill in awhile.

Patrick

Staff member
race calendar

Pearl poses the Q: well, what about after HOH?

March:

going to try short track on 3/1 i hope. Will be back the following weeks, i hope. Thinking that it may be weather dependent. (spoke with norm about that too) - again, just to mix it up, raise the heart rate, and try not to get lapped.

HOH
Leave for florida following weekend.

Rest of year.

If training is going well, i'd like to try a mtb 50 miler -

Maybe one of the H2H races,

crca does some racing around the corner from me - so that is a possibility too
Some charity ride - TdC or other century.

There is a century around lk george - which i could coordinate with a family vacation.

friend of mine in charlotte wants me to come down and do one of those mountain centuries with him - maybe the hincapie ride? or blood, sweat, and gears.

couple of cat 4/5 crits - cause that is fun too. do they have 50+ masters?

signed up for the NYC marathon, so i can bike-block Jimmy - didn't get in the last two years - guess they don't need any sweepers? Ah, looking to go sub 4 hours, so mid-pack. if i don't get in, i'll run philly

skylands triathlon - same day as nj fondo - i'll do the duo. sinking sucks.
mountain man - this is fun

couple of cx races - staying local

---
Oh, and this may be the year we take a shot at cleaning/expanding RV a bit. should probably be thinking about that now eh?

Last edited:

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Always wanted to do those CRCA road events down the street too. Ever hear me brag about how awesome riding at Roth Rock? :popcorn:

walter

Fourth Party
Great stuff, and good luck! We have a mutual friend on the fb, how do you know Rita? Do you ever ride with her? I know she does the Fondo and some of the local centuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom