Tivo vs. DVR?

Shaggz

A strong 7
My Tivo box is on the fritz. I am on a monthly plan and it is a matter of sending the old box back for a new one. The price of DVR through my cable company is the same as Tivo. Any advantages to using the cable company as opposed to Tivo service? FWIW, I do not have digital cable, so that is not a consideration.

ArmyOfNone

I personally didnt care for tivo, her parents had it for about a year. What i didnt like was that wanted to do do too many things. The dvr is simple. Can you have a dvr w/o digital cable? And do you know what you are missing?

RyanW

I don't think you can get any cable box that isn't digital. The nice the about the cable box is that it's a combo unit, has the DVR built in. Most now have a dual tuner/recorder which lets you record two things at once and gives any tv the picture in picture function. A friend of mine had the Tivo. The DVR doesn't have the function to "learn" what you like and randomly record shows it thinks you want (which drove me nuts) There are probably some small differences that you'll just have to get used to otherwise they are similar enough.

dirty bert

Banned
Dvr

My Tivo box is on the fritz. I am on a monthly plan and it is a matter of sending the old box back for a new one. The price of DVR through my cable company is the same as Tivo. Any advantages to using the cable company as opposed to Tivo service? FWIW, I do not have digital cable, so that is not a consideration.

Get the DVR. TiVo sucks even though i have it. we record 2 shows and watch something on another channel. As soon as i make the switch to Fios, tivo wil be gone for good. Fios lets you record something and then lets you watch it on any tvs in your house that has a cable box.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Get the DVR. TiVo sucks even though i have it. we record 2 shows and watch something on another channel. As soon as i make the switch to Fios, tivo wil be gone for good. Fios lets you record something and then lets you watch it on any tvs in your house that has a cable box.

Really? Do the other cable boxes have to be DVR boxes? Because if not, I must learn how to do this.

The FIOS DVR is like $20 a month to rent, BTW. So if you want to put them all over your house it's going to blast your combined bill up to $200 before you blink.

TonyC

Is it worth changing to Fios? I don't have a HD Tv so will that matter?

Btw, I love the DVR box. Can imagine living w/o it now.

Does anyone watch commercials anymore?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it worth changing to Fios? I don't have a HD Tv so will that matter?

Even on our crappy 10+ year old TV you could see the difference. We did the triple package deal and it saves us money.

ArmyOfNone

how is the interweb service?

O yea i forgot with tivo you cant watch a different show while recording. Eww

Shaggz

A strong 7
you can rig tivo in such a way to watch one channel and record another. requires a splitter.

anyways, picking up a dvr from the cable company tomorrow. i like the idea of using 1 box, plus it is $2 cheaper per month. thanks for the advice.

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
I have DVR and love it!

And it's $20/month on FiOS? For some reason I think it's only $5 for mine with Comcast. Could be wrong though....

Top Bottom