The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

Monday Monday

Was supposed to meet @Reggie at DP this morning but when I let the dog out it was still drizzling at 4:30. So I made a cup of Starbucks French roast with my new keurig 1 cup and brew pot combo. Wife has complained everyday since I brought home.
Patty is very routine so change it a little, like add a one cup brew to the auto drip, and well its just something I will be reminded she doesn't like for a few months. Went to text Burke and see he texted me at like 12:30 am and said he needs to be at work early cant make the ride. Fire that boss who at 12am decides you need anything at that time :)

I was gonna text him to change location and do the less harm to trails ride we have done before at Stephens. Pretty much quad, fire road, RR and powerlines. Its just over 10 miles and keeps the bikes from doing any trail damage yet a pretty solid ride. Of course I flexed my rear tire just enough to lose air, so right away the missing pump would have been useful. Instead i rolled 80% on a soft rear tire. This is truly a bummer. If any of you folks add to FB or another media that connects to more riders it would be much appreciated.

I did meet a rider named Ken from stanhope, told him to stop on by here on the board and check it out. Told him to PM me to meet up for these early rides as he said he has been getting out daily. Hope he remembers. You don't see too many people active this early.

Just as i was wrapping up Patty texted me she was at iron gate waiting for her friend to show up. So she was getting an early start for her. I am inspiring her and keep telling her she is missing the best part of the day to ride. I swung by to wish them a good ride since I was right around the corner.
20200713_065908.jpg
20200713_065011.jpg
20200713_064648.jpg
20200713_062938.jpg

Into the Mystic ✌

Monday Monday

Was supposed to meet @Reggie at DP this morning but when I let the dog out it was still drizzling at 4:30. So I made a cup of Starbucks French roast with my new keurig 1 cup and brew pot combo. Wife has complained everyday since I brought home.
Patty is very routine so change it a little, like add a one cup brew to the auto drip, and well its just something I will be reminded she doesn't like for a few months. Went to text Burke and see he texted me at like 12:30 am and said he needs to be at work early cant make the ride. Fire that boss who at 12am decides you need anything at that time :)

I was gonna text him to change location and do the less harm to trails ride we have done before at Stephens. Pretty much quad, fire road, RR and powerlines. Its just over 10 miles and keeps the bikes from doing any trail damage yet a pretty solid ride. Of course I flexed my rear tire just enough to lose air, so right away the missing pump would have been useful. Instead i rolled 80% on a soft rear tire. This is truly a bummer. If any of you folks add to FB or another media that connects to more riders it would be much appreciated.

I did meet a rider named Ken from stanhope, told him to stop on by here on the board and check it out. Told him to PM me to meet up for these early rides as he said he has been getting out daily. Hope he remembers. You don't see too many people active this early.

Just as i was wrapping up Patty texted me she was at iron gate waiting for her friend to show up. So she was getting an early start for her. I am inspiring her and keep telling her she is missing the best part of the day to ride. I swung by to wish them a good ride since I was right around the corner.
View attachment 134220View attachment 134221View attachment 134222View attachment 134223
Into the Mystic ✌
Long way around on a SS. You and Reggie have issues. I cant get up that with gears.
nice work.

I woke up and saw @Patrick Mention something about horizon, its an ADD thing, and right away it put pigeons playing ping pong on my brain. So pre ride beats were ingrained. And thats it the song Somethin' For Ya was stuck through my ride.
Screenshot_20200714-083631_Spotify.jpg

If you ever get the chance to get to one of their shows I highly recommend it. I noticed before covid their small venue tours were evaporated and moving to larger arenas. They have been on a tear the past couple years with non stop touring. Some ridiculous number of shows per year.
20190329_223539.jpg

Today had the company of @Reggie and the guy I met yesterday did in fact get on here. @Kennasse PMed and we exchanged cells and sure enough he showed up ? Ken is on some sort of tear himself, i think he said he's in the middle of a 90 days in a row challenge. So let's give Ken a big mtbnj welcome.
The ride started off very spirited, Burke had a very spirted start right out of the gate. Cooking through lower pink is always a blast. That spirit got sucked right out once we started the slog that is cooler trail right from the bottom. We haven't touched that lower section in years and now i remember why. Anyhow I only had an hour an half to play with so we rolled across the top with a chimney drop to finish out.
20200714_063314.jpg

Still very much love the Misfit SS and feeling really cozie on it. @The Landfill of Slacktown SSING is not for everyone so don't get one and think its the bees knees. One thing I can say is if your just a weekend warrior SSING is probably not for you especially in elevated parks. You pretty much need to ride SS as much as possible to get through that curve of enjoyment. Just my experience or opinion.

I walk into the show, and finally hang my coat
Slip down the rows, until I find my seating
Sounds coming in waves, while I intently gaze
And view into the haze, then my world starts beating✌

Phase one of find the pump

I set out this morning to back track to see if i can locate the lost lyenze mini floor pump.
Much slow roll and hike a bike. Basically covered from Dan's trail and all of first phase of Sundays ride. Minus earthworm and around the camp lake. So either its between Dan's and the monument second half of the ride or it was found and gone forever :(

I woke up tired and lazily took my time with no time restrictions and being solo so this was a perfect morning for this adventure.

So in the meantime I have had this blackburn pump from mid mid 1990s. Ironic story is I lost this pump once back then when I was living in PA. on a road ride. 2 weeks later doing the same ride I found it lying on the side of the road with the handle missing. For whatever reason I have held onto it ever since then. This year while Patty and I were hunting for morels, she came across the shaft of a blackburn pump with a handle. I was like hey I can use that. Boom blackburn pump is back!
20200715_093856.jpg

Came across this walk down memory lane moment. A backwards J makes believe this was @Chris26er for whatever reason. From an old short track course.
20200715_074730.jpg

Couple of adventure pics
20200715_063554_002.jpg
20200715_070945.jpg
20200715_075839.jpg

Ok alright ok alright ✌

Ripmo and I had a good morning, and this is why I got this bike for days like this.
20200716_071559.jpg

3 hally marys
2 Ho's
1 pots an pans aka chimney drop
1 grumpy rumbley old whitey
To grab a final full burger
Screenshot_20200716-102740.jpg

I was even surprised I got close to 8 miles in being parked less the 1/2 mile.
Map my ride is awesome because forgetful me always forgets to shut down my mapping. So it must of recognized it and allows you to delete the 18 miles at 50mph. Cool stuff because ordinarily i would just delete the ride, which happens often.

Real quick, some hype needs to be addressed, when i decided to have a new wheel built, i want to try out the Onyx hub because i have always been rear hub guy. To me the rear hub is the most important part to bicycle, your opinion may vary. @jdog Kept saying this hub will change the way you ride, to myself I giggled, doesn't he realize i have already been riding the best hubs money can buy. Well he is spot on, the constant engagement is something really hard to explain, its almost fluid like. It has changed the way I ride :) if you got the coin and want to treat yourself and your bike, then do this upgrade today! This is probably the first product I didnt exhaustively research like ever, went at it blind. So here is to hoping the bike gods hand this hub the durability award.

Heads up to you Stephens burger bombers, there is a freshly fallen massive tree across the trail right after the final exit.
20200716_074319.jpg

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow✌

woke up to a text after shutting down the 4:30 bell. This is day 3 that I punched the dismiss and fell back asleep for another 30 mins. Need to straighten that out. Stanhope Ken (formerly Cresskill Ken) reached out with that text, so jumped out bed slide into some bike gear and rolled down the line. 15 mins off normal start time i met Stanhope out in the trails. It was pretty dank out all morning, at some points it felt like it was getting darker. I have charged all my lights as this early light will fade in a few weeks.
20200717_065615.jpg

We rode a solid 10.5 today and i feel much stronger on the SS from even 2 weeks ago. I got to see if i can hook up with @jShort soon because the creak i have going on is getting louder. I also emailed back and forth with bilenky bikes about repair on my old steel frame and got the 1?. This works out as i can drive it there for repair.
20200714_115958.jpg

Someone already got the tree on rumbley and I did reach out to @JORBA Stephens but not sure it was him who cut it. Had some paint on the ends and wide open. Ironically another large tree went down 10 feet next to it after I took the pic. That too was cut. This leads to another new tree at the top of serpentine maze. So i will reach put again, and this one comes up on you fast.
20200717_072802.jpg

I think i am fallen victim to why do I bother posting a daily blog. I mean are there really even 2 people that read it. I will admit many times I gloss over someone's blog and hit like. I havent really brought much of a discussion to the board, even as I have tried.
Maybe I should make notes and do just a weekly update. For me I have been putting more on my plate to get more organized and this was in some sort of way part of that. I guess I will just continue to entertain myself with my on line diary of sorts that I can look back on when I'm really too old for life :) or at least until I just fizzle out. Pictures dammit we want more pictures!
20200717_071353.jpg

Better to burnout then to fade away✌

I read your blog! I may not be commenting/adding to it, but I enjoy seeing what you're up too. If I wasn't an hour south, I'd join in the morning. I am a morning person, but getting on the road by 4:15 is a little rough. If you do move them a little later before September, I'll join.

woke up to a text after shutting down the 4:30 bell. This is day 3 that I punched the dismiss and fell back asleep for another 30 mins. Need to straighten that out. Stanhope Ken (formerly Cresskill Ken) reached out with that text, so jumped out bed slide into some bike gear and rolled down the line. 15 mins off normal start time i met Stanhope out in the trails. It was pretty dank out all morning, at some points it felt like it was getting darker. I have charged all my lights as this early light will fade in a few weeks.
View attachment 134522
We rode a solid 10.5 today and i feel much stronger on the SS from even 2 weeks ago. I got to see if i can hook up with @jShort soon because the creak i have going on is getting louder. I also emailed back and forth with bilenky bikes about repair on my old steel frame and got the 1?. This works out as i can drive it there for repair.
View attachment 134520

Someone already got the tree on rumbley and I did reach out to @JORBA Stephens but not sure it was him who cut it. Had some paint on the ends and wide open. Ironically another large tree went down 10 feet next to it after I took the pic. That too was cut. This leads to another new tree at the top of serpentine maze. So i will reach put again, and this one comes up on you fast.
View attachment 134521
I think i am fallen victim to why do I bother posting a daily blog. I mean are there really even 2 people that read it. I will admit many times I gloss over someone's blog and hit like. I havent really brought much of a discussion to the board, even as I have tried.
Maybe I should make notes and do just a weekly update. For me I have been putting more on my plate to get more organized and this was in some sort of way part of that. I guess I will just continue to entertain myself with my on line diary of sorts that I can look back on when I'm really too old for life :) or at least until I just fizzle out. Pictures dammit we want more pictures!
View attachment 134523

Better to burnout then to fade away✌
Keep the blog going I find it very motivational... still not getting off my ass but I want to more when I read this LOL

Back
Top Bottom