The (unofficial) Tour de Fat

roc

Who in their right mind goes to 174 shows of the same band?
People who liked the party. I was in my late teens and early 20’s when I went to the shows. I saw a few shows in high school with my older brother, but for the most part I was 18-23 when I saw them. While at the concerts, the whole scene was just as much, if not more fun than the actual show. Sometimes the band was really tight, most times, not so much. I know this is blasphemous for many dead fans, but it’s true. If you listen to the live shows of the early 70’s, they are so much better than the late 80’s, early 90’s shows that I saw. It was something to do, they came around all the time, going up to New England to see them was a great 3 day party.
I saw them in 93 at giants stadium, relatively sober, compared to any other show I had seen. They were awful, Jerry would forget words. So for me, it was a place to party and meet girls who liked to party. All that being said, the birdsong at Oxford raceway melted my mind?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
People who liked the party. I was in my late teens and early 20’s when I went to the shows. I saw a few shows in high school with my older brother, but for the most part I was 18-23 when I saw them. While at the concerts, the whole scene was just as much, if not more fun than the actual show. Sometimes the band was really tight, most times, not so much. I know this is blasphemous for many dead fans, but it’s true. If you listen to the live shows of the early 70’s, they are so much better than the late 80’s, early 90’s shows that I saw. It was something to do, they came around all the time, going up to New England to see them was a great 3 day party.
I saw them in 93 at giants stadium, relatively sober, compared to any other show I had seen. They were awful, Jerry would forget words. So for me, it was a place to party and meet girls who liked to party. All that being said, the birdsong at Oxford raceway melted my mind?

check in with @MMuller 's dead on live stuff where he talks about de-tuning the guitar to play the song from this concert. meaning any one you want
to recreate note-for-note. they just kept going, a little off meant unique!

i do not do dead past the popular stuff, so i dunno.

always thought they could do I've just seen a face. like a 25 minute version. never did as far as i know. (hint Marc)

Last edited:

roc

check in with @MMuller 's dead on live stuff where he talks about de-tuning the guitar to play the song from this concert. meaning any one you want
to recreate note-for-note. they just kept going, a little off meant unique!

i do not do dead past the popular stuff, so i dunno.

always thought they could do I've just seen a face. like a 25 minute version. never did as far as i know.
There is band called dark star orchestra, they do concerts of set lists of particular shows. I have seen that at mayo arts in Motown. They are actually better than the dead shows I saw. (I think?) some of it is a little cloudy.

MMuller

There is band called dark star orchestra, they do concerts of set lists of particular shows. I have seen that at mayo arts in Motown. They are actually better than the dead shows I saw. (I think?) some of it is a little cloudy.
I was of the 70's Dead scene. 1st show 73 Nassau. I left to chase jazz around in 1980 (still am 40 years later!) My Dead project does all the albums exactly as they were released. Different than DSO, or any other tribute act. Certainly different than the Dead, of course. www.deadonlive.com for some vids from shows. As of pandemic, there are no shows and won't be for quite some time. Livestreaming on FB for tips. Heck of a way to make a living.... I'm doing one next Wednesday www.facebook.com/deadonlive Will work for bike parts. Thanks
our show from Asbury in 2014

DOL Wall stage.jpg

roc

I was of the 70's Dead scene. 1st show 73 Nassau. I left to chase jazz around in 1980 (still am 40 years later!) My Dead project does all the albums exactly as they were released. Different than DSO, or any other tribute act. Certainly different than the Dead, of course. www.deadonlive.com for some vids from shows. As of pandemic, there are no shows and won't be for quite some time. Livestreaming on FB for tips. Heck of a way to make a living.... I'm doing one next Wednesday www.facebook.com/deadonlive Will work for bike parts. Thanks
our show from Asbury in 2014

View attachment 133996
Very cool, which guy are you?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Wait...

Played once on 11 June 1969 at a concert billed as "Bobby Ace And The Cards From The Bottom Of The Deck." Not clear who sang it, but Bob Weir seems the most likely.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wait...

Played once on 11 June 1969 at a concert billed as "Bobby Ace And The Cards From The Bottom Of The Deck." Not clear who sang it, but Bob Weir seems the most likely.
My guess it was Pigpen. Jerry said he was the only lead singer in the dead until his passing, otherwise its always by committee. Jerry did not believe in anyone being the head guy, and he definitely did not want that job. Thats why there were a cast of characters surrounding the band. Check out long strange trip on prime. Pretty good doc.

roc

Former bike racer far left, stage right.
You guys sound great. You do a show, and it’s the full album? Do you let everybody know what is coming up, or is always a surprise? I would like to hear blues fro allah live, mars hotel. Do you guys also do live albums. Like Europe 72?
/

MMuller

You guys sound great. You do a show, and it’s the full album? Do you let everybody know what is coming up, or is always a surprise? I would like to hear blues fro allah live, mars hotel. Do you guys also do live albums. Like Europe 72?
/
The videos on our site are album/era specific. Skull - 71, Europe72, Wake - 73, Mars - 74, Allah - 75. We even did Terrapin with full orchestra in 2015. My last livestream was Workingman's for 50th anniversary in June. Of course, we throw a bunch of jams in, other songs from other eras, special guests, etc. But generally we try to go for the drop the needle effect. Shit ton of work but results are unique and people seem to dig.

rick81721

Lothar
Who in their right mind goes to 174 shows of the same band?

Haha I'm not a fan of the group at all but actually went to 2 concerts - one at the spectrum in philly with a friend (I think someone had tickets and couldn't make it), the other with my brother while I was at Penn State. In philly, my friend and I started to get worried we were going to get mugged - we kept yelling "The song that wouldn't end!" and "man every song sounds exactly the same". I think we blew out of there early. :D

serviceguy

Haha I'm not a fan of the group at all but actually went to 2 concerts - one at the spectrum in philly with a friend (I think someone had tickets and couldn't make it), the other with my brother while I was at Penn State. In philly, my friend and I started to get worried we were going to get mugged - we kept yelling "The song that wouldn't end!" and "man every song sounds exactly the same". I think we blew out of there early. :D
They never made it to my neck of the woods, I don’t feel like I missed much. Eagles were more popular, never liked them either. When I think of bands I liked back in the days they’re all British, the only American one that pops to mind is the Ramones.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Picking up on the lost day.

I didn't post yesterday because we dedicated the day to find a car for my baby girl. This was an extremely draining day after days and days searching the internet. Taking notes looking up issues and at minimum 10 different cars. Really didn't want to get involved with used dealers but most had the cars she liked. Let me state right off. DO NOT LET YOUR KID HAVE ANY SAY IN WHAT THEIR FIRST CAR IS!!!! We passed on 3 solid civics and 2 corollas for the better because all were overpriced. So from 9 30 am till 5 45 pm we were all over as far as Allentown, Pa. And ended in Mine Hill, NJ. Last car was a yellow tiburon which my daughter wanted so badly but I couldn't justify price. It was a V6 and an absolute dog with a rattle in the rear. Dejected both us from the long day but mostly my daughter because that car had the hey look at me affect. Then on our way home my wife found a Nissan Altima from a private seller in Stanhope. They responded and off the exit we went. This is how you buy used cars. Extremely nice family, open and honest with all papers of maintenance. Turns out the super nice polite kid is a new RN and works for Atlantic Healthcare. We settled on a fair price and the deal was done. Put it in the books.

Interior is ridiculously like showroom. 81k and just soild sound all around car. Most important it had beige leather interior for whatever reason that was a qualifier for my daughter.
One cavit is the clear coat on hood and roof has over exposure. Will now need advice on where we can find affordable car paint guy.

20200711_164650.jpg
Screenshot_20200711-164531_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20200711-164547_Facebook.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Sunday, today, the morning was a absolute steller. Woke up at 6am, got dress went downstairs for coffee. Loaded the bike and dog up, kiss the wife as she was off to work and headed to earthworm lot. I usually cheat and get permission to park at the camp but figured the ending at the lot is worth the price of admission.

Last night i set up the new Minion killers (industries words not mine) lol. And man they popped right on with a floor pump. I settled with 2.4's just because I wanted to shed some rubber weight. Judging by my lefthand/righthand scale it didn't feel like i saved any weight :)
20200712_070427.jpg
20200712_070436.jpg

On the trail there was a slight noticeable faster presence actually Definitely a noticeable difference. Ass-guys I have no complaint other then they did feel sluggish on trail rides. These mazzas did what I pointed them to do. One slip on an open root otherwise they hooked up quite nicely. Everyone who has received these, yes this is a new tire, has been pretty spot on in tire weight. My plan is to keep these on for all around trail use and throw the ass-guys on my old/new rear wheel. Build up a new front wheel with a radiator green hub to match for trail. Then I will have an all around trail wheelset and wheelset for the bike parks. See im smart, lol it only took about month and half to figure that out lol.

12.5 miles in North is brutal, i swear its easier to do 25 in stephens.
Screenshot_20200712-102620.jpg

Just when i posted me and ripmo are having a mind meld north goes and fucks that all up. Please tell me there is a learning curve with these long wheelbase bikes. Everytime it points up slightly with a whole lot of babyheads I seem to get hung up. Again slow tech, I can ride the fatbike through a volcano with zero issue but this big bad beasts stem and my nuts have met one too many times. I can say it's not the suspension its definitely the long wheelbase. Is there anyone else having trouble with new Geo. Maybe its 29er, maybe 27.5 has a bit shorter wheelbase.

Ok enough bout that, cuz the rest of the ride was a blast. Hung myself out today. Max would not have survived half this ride. My legs are coming around especially settling in on the long grinds. Again just a steller day on a bike.
20200712_073152.jpg
20200712_080109.jpg
20200712_080212.jpg
20200712_091008.jpg

Let the good times roll✌

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Picking up on the lost day.

I didn't post yesterday because we dedicated the day to find a car for my baby girl. This was an extremely draining day after days and days searching the internet. Taking notes looking up issues and at minimum 10 different cars. Really didn't want to get involved with used dealers but most had the cars she liked. Let me state right off. DO NOT LET YOUR KID HAVE ANY SAY IN WHAT THEIR FIRST CAR IS!!!! We passed on 3 solid civics and 2 corollas for the better because all were overpriced. So from 9 30 am till 5 45 pm we were all over as far as Allentown, Pa. And ended in Mine Hill, NJ. Last car was a yellow tiburon which my daughter wanted so badly but I couldn't justify price. It was a V6 and an absolute dog with a rattle in the rear. Dejected both us from the long day but mostly my daughter because that car had the hey look at me affect. Then on our way home my wife found a Nissan Altima from a private seller in Stanhope. They responded and off the exit we went. This is how you buy used cars. Extremely nice family, open and honest with all papers of maintenance. Turns out the super nice polite kid is a new RN and works for Atlantic Healthcare. We settled on a fair price and the deal was done. Put it in the books.

Interior is ridiculously like showroom. 81k and just soild sound all around car. Most important it had beige leather interior for whatever reason that was a qualifier for my daughter.
One cavit is the clear coat on hood and roof has over exposure. Will now need advice on where we can find affordable car paint guy.

View attachment 134108View attachment 134109View attachment 134110

As much as that's the car of the GTL group they're really reliable. Compared to the rogues Nissan was putting out at the same time and all their tranny issues these are a pleasant surprise of reliability.

Top Bottom